grimmie

The OFFICIAL 2012-2013 NHL Thread

In some sad news, I just learned that Stompin' Tom Connors died a few days ago. How many times have I sung along to his song?

On the radio the other day the DJ asked "Can you name more than one Stompin' Tom song" and sadly very few who called in could (of course this is x92.9 a really cool station that plays alternate rock so Stompin' Tom isn't their usual demographic they play for). But then I asked myself "Well smart ass can you name more than one Stompin' Tom song" and yes I could but just barely.

I also knew Sudbury Saturday Night to go along with everyone's favorite The Hockey Song

which is a shame as while I may not be a huge country music person, Stompin' Tom was a Canadian music icon. He was our Hank Williams, our Johnny Cash, etc, etc, etc.

PS: For a final encore I just found a 90 minute YouTube Stompin' Tom concert from Oct 31st 1973 at the Horseshoe Tavern. Click here to watch it. Ironically it appears to be the entire concert for the "Sudbury Saturday Night" video I reference above. I am not going to watch it this very minute. But I will make a point to watch it sometime this weekend. I owe it to Tom to watch one of his shows from when he was at the peak of his career.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

In some sad news, I just learned that Stompin' Tom Connors died a few days ago. How many times have I sung along to his song?

On the radio the other day the DJ asked "Can you name more than one Stompin Tom song" and sadly very few who called in could (of course this is x92.9 a really cool station that plays alternate rock so Stompin Tom isn't their usual demographic they play for). But then I asked myself "Well smart ass can you name more than one Stompin Tom song" and yes I could but just barely.

I also knew Sunbury Saturday Night to go along with everyone's favorite The Hockey Song

which is a shame as while I may not be a huge country music person, Stompin Tom was a Canadian music icon. He was our Hank Williams, our Johnny Cash, etc, etc, etc.

Are you sure you are Canadian???:ph34r:

One of the more famous mining towns in the freakin world....

Some happenings now. Some shakeups.

The Ducks just jacked up the Hawks. Down by one with about 6 to go and put in 2 in under 2 minutes. Scored an empty netter to ice it. Ducks are for real - did it without Perry. It hurts to say that.

The race in the Western Conference is still tight.

And the Blue Jackets seem to have forgotten that they are the Blue Jackets.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Sent the AZblonde 3 tickets for last night's game between her beloved Yote's and my Canucks.

Her and 2 chums, 5th row directly behind the PHX bench. Lots of good free food and free premium liquor featured prior to game-time for holders of the tix at those prices.

Sent her a Canuck's jersey and insisted she wear it to the game. I watched on SportsNet television up here in exile. Was funny to see her one splash of road-white in a sea of home-red every time the television panned by following the play.

And the Canuck's won. "Life is good, donkey." (Shrek)

Any guesses where Iginla may get traded? Word is he is being shopped.

Iginla can't be "shopped," per se - he has a "no movement" clause. Problem is nobody is talking. Not the Flames, not Iginla, not his agent. Rumors are he only wants to go to a contender. Problem is, all the contenders have rosters they are happy with. There's talk of him coming to LA to be with Sutter again but as much as I love Iginla I can't see what I would like to lose to get him. Same with Pitt and Chicago and Boston.

Of course, the Rangers have been dangling Gaborik out for trade bait. Problem with Gaborik is that he gives a cap hit next year of over $7 million - tough to afford.

Those who are interested in the intricacies of this stuff:
http://capgeek.com/

Welcome to the Burgh Iginla!

Lets go PENS!B|

You've gotta be loving this! Good luck Iggy!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Welcome to the Burgh Iginla!

Lets go PENS!B|

You've gotta be loving this! Good luck Iggy!

Cool to see an athlete that is universally admired. Count me in too. He deserves a Cup ring to go with his Olympic gold.

Now that he is not part of the Calgary franchise, I can cheer for him. :ph34r:

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

I'm on the Kings bandwagon now that Robyn Regehr is part of the team. Have known Robyn for 12 years and he is a great guy. Go Kings!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

The only thing I really knew about him was when he splattered Justin Williams a couple of years ago (Williams is my favorite player). I hated him.

But hopefully he'll give Scuderi some relief in PK. Scud is always out there for PK

The NHL suspended Kings Captain Dustin Brown for 2 games for the result of Wild player Pominville's headfirst check into Dustin Brown's elbow. Anybody know the last time a player in possession of the puck was suspended?

The NHL can't stand the thought of Detroit missing the playoffs and lust for a Detroit-Chicago matchup in Round 1 over a Chicago-Lumbus matchup. Conspiracy conspiracy. Boo hiss!

The NHL suspended Kings Captain Dustin Brown for 2 games for the result of Wild player Pominville's headfirst check into Dustin Brown's elbow. Anybody know the last time a player in possession of the puck was suspended?

The NHL can't stand the thought of Detroit missing the playoffs and lust for a Detroit-Chicago matchup in Round 1 over a Chicago-Lumbus matchup. Conspiracy conspiracy. Boo hiss!

Here's video of said incident: 13 seconds into the time code. Formulate your own opinions, hockey fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mLnisfcvAeA

(Edited to attach still image of the hit)

As the puck arrived on Brown's stick along the wall he decided to protect both his body and the puck. He braced in erect posture. Brown's elbow remained bent before and during the event. Brown then delivered a shoulder shrug without extending his elbow and cleared the puck. The definition of elbowing includes "extending" the elbow.

Now look at Pominville. He came in hard and tried to poke check. When he did he lowered his head significantly. Brown's elbow was there before Pominville's head was. When Brown gave the shoulder shrug Pominville's face was where the elbow was.

Look at boarding - if a player puts himself in a vulnerable position by suddenly ducking his head before the check then there isn't a penalty. I'll need to watch Shanahan's explanation tonight.m

The playoff picture came right down to the wire.

Western:Starting tomorrow, the Kings play the Blues away. Unless Elliott gets red hot I don't see the Blues running away with this. Kings in 6.

Wild at Blackhawks - Chi-town in 5. The Wild figured out in March that they are a good team. Problem is Chicago has ten players that can kill them by potting goals.

Wings at Ducks - intriguing. Detroit ended strong. The Ducks didn't. If there's an upset to be had, it'll be Detroit beating the Ducks. Unfortunate because I wanted to see Kings-Ducks in playoffs. Wings in 6.

The Canucks have a lot to prove. Luckily for them, they drew the traditional first round bye.

Eastern

Leafs at Bruins - I'm really glad to see the leafs back in the playoffs. Too bad they've got Boston. Boston in 6

Islanders at Penguins - the Isles will make it interesting but won't have enough. Pitts in 5

Senators at Habs - the near miraculous return of Karlsson from his torn ACL is a needed boost (damn that guy is good). Unfortunately, the non-miraculous non-return of Spezza keeps them from advancing. Montreal. Habs in 7

Rangers at Caps - what the hell is this? Two teams that until this month looked dead. Then they come back and both caught fire. The Rangers look pretty damned formidable. I'm taking the Rangers in a tight one - 6 games.

The Canucks will beat the Sharks again, but their second round opponents will be the Kings, Blues or Ducks. All three of these teams are a lot bigger than the Canucks; the sort of team they cannot beat. Too bad because they are the only team in the west that can beat the Blackhawks.