grimmie

The OFFICIAL 2012-2013 NHL Thread

The WHA didn't last too long but if I recall correctly, the NHL got some pretty good players, after the 'break-up'.

Chuck

There are a number of similarities between the old AFL and the WHA. The AFL was created to compete against the NFL just as the WHA was created to compete against the NHL. Numerous NFL players were attracted by $$$ to play in the AFL as were a few NHL stars such as Bobby Hull to play in the WHA (first hockey player to be paid one million buckaroos). But like the AFL that eventually merged with the NFL, the WHA also merged a few of their teams into the NHL.

Now the USFL ... that is a different can of worms. Spring football made sense to some, not to all. But there was no way the USFL could compete against the NFL in the fall. That was dumb of them to change their schedule. It killed the USFL.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

It was great seeing what the Kings did to the ducks last night. A pretty crazy game with both teams thoroughly jacking up each other's neutral zones (it was like both were running neutral zone traps in the first). Game opened up in the second and then the Kings just beat the hell out of the Ducks in the third.

Licking my chops about the Red Wings on Wednesday. Should be a great game.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The WHA didn't last too long but if I recall correctly, the NHL got some pretty good players, after the 'break-up'.

Chuck

There are a number of similarities between the old AFL and the WHA. The AFL was created to compete against the NFL just as the WHA was created to compete against the NHL. Numerous NFL players were attracted by big $$$ to play in the AFL as were a few NHL stars such as Bobby Hull to play in the WHA (first hockey player to be paid one million buckaroos). But like the AFL that eventually merged with the NFL, the WHA also merged a few of their teams into the NHL.

Now the USFL ... that is a different can of worms. Spring football made sense to some, not to all. But there was no way the USFL could compete against the NFL in the fall. That was dumb of them to change their schedule. It killed the USFL.

Ahhh I was jaded in my youthful days watching Hull, Mikita, Pilote, and Hall play for the Black Hawks. Having a stepfather who was a CBS camaraman in Chicago meant a LOT of Hawks games attended:)

Ahhh I was jaded in my youthful days watching Hull, Mikita, Pilote, and Hall play for the Black Hawks. Having a stepfather who was a CBS camaraman in Chicago meant a LOT of Hawks games attended

That must have been cool. I can't remember what year it was (late 60s or very early 70s) but one year my grandfather took me to a Leafs/Rangers game while I was visiting some fam'damily in Tarana. That was cool. But it wasn't until I was a young adult when I got to begin attending some Habs games at the old Forum. A friend of mine at the time had season tickets and he took me to about 8-10 games during the '83/'84 season and I will never forget getting to see Gretzky live for the first time. He was able to stay ahead of everyone else putting himself in just the right part of the ice just when he needed to be there and not one second sooner (or later). A true master of his time.

PS: I hate to jinx them, but I can't help but notice the Habs are in first place in the East. The Hawks are clearly the best team at this time though and there is still plenty of hockey to be played.

Chuck

There are a number of similarities between the old AFL and the WHA. The AFL was created to compete against the NFL just as the WHA was created to compete against the NHL. Numerous NFL players were attracted by $$$ to play in the AFL as were a few NHL stars such as Bobby Hull to play in the WHA (first hockey player to be paid one million buckaroos). But like the AFL that eventually merged with the NFL, the WHA also merged a few of their teams into the NHL.

Thanks!

Chuck

It was great seeing what the Kings did to the ducks last night. A pretty crazy game with both teams thoroughly jacking up each other's neutral zones (it was like both were running neutral zone traps in the first). Game opened up in the second and then the Kings just beat the hell out of the Ducks in the third.

Licking my chops about the Red Wings on Wednesday. Should be a great game.

It should be a real good game! The Wings show bouts of brilliance then collapse after a couple wins. It's antbody's game, for sure.

Chuck

I like to watch Don Cherry and he might be eccentric and says only good Canadian boys should be playing hockey but as for European players, I disagree with him. The Russian players gave the Red Wings a big boost in the 90's. Then the Swedes. I think, they've all been good for the NHL.

Chuck

ESPN and NBC have had their input and there's a new realignment proposal.

This alignment would result in a lot of travel for every team outside of the northeast division. I guess ESPN/NBC feel the northeast teams are entitled to an easy travel schedule compared to the rest of the league and thus ensuring these northeast teams will always have an easier time come playoff time.

The image was a joke. (Don Cherry Conference - colored PLAID! :D)

Of course, not entirely unbelievable, either.

Edited to add image for the ignorant.

Hey, DON! Carnaby St. called... they want their suits back!!

Chuck

This is what happens when men are allowed to shop for themselves.

The image was a joke. (Don Cherry Conference - colored PLAID! :D)

Of course, not entirely unbelievable, either.

Edited to add image for the ignorant.

Hey, DON! Carnaby St. called... they want their suits back!!

Chuck

This is what happens when men are allowed to shop for themselves.

Yup! I'll stick with Wranglers and pearl-snap shirts! ;)

Chuck

First I'd like to thank the Wings for losing to the Kings. Then I'd like to thank them for beating the Sharks.

When will Chicago be beaten in regulation?

I'm sure, DannyCleary thanks the Kings for the 15-stitches he got and... no call!
The Wings played good in the first period then seemed to fall-apart in the 2nd. and 3rd.

The Blackhawks are definately on a roll. With parity, definately in the NHL, any team can beat any other team at any time.

Chuck

Note re: Cleary - tough to call a penalty against Cleary's visor.

Kings are back. What they did tonight (4 goals in the third period to win 6-4) was just nuts. The Blackhawks, however, just what the hell is it going to take to give them a regulation loss?

Speaking of visors, anybody see the slow motion closeup of Marc Staal taking a puck to the eye? Of course, reigniting the visor debate.

We’re almost at the halfway point this season, and here are some thoughts.
(1) Seeing Montreal, Ottawatta and Toronto in a good place for playoffs. Sure, Ottawattawatta had some decent teams in the past but they seem more solid now. It’s great to see the Leafs back to some legitimacy.
(2) Winnipeg – I’ve actually liked a lot of what I’ve seen from this team. They’ll be damned good in a couple of years.
(3) What’s wrong with Philly?
(4) Minnesota finally figuring out that it has some talent.
(5) The Ducks and the Kings have a legitimate chance of facing each other in the playoffs for the first time ever.
(6) Stamkos shall not take his place among the annals of NHL busts. The dude’s a stud.

In some sad news, I just learned that Stompin' Tom Connors died a few days ago. How many times have I sung along to his song?

"The good old hockey game
is the best game you can name,
and the best game you can name
is the good old hockey game."

In some sad news, I just learned that Stompin' Tom Connors died a few days ago. How many times have I sung along to his song?

"The good old hockey game
is the best game you can name,
and the best game you can name
is the good old hockey game."

Sad to hear that. I really get a kick out of that song.

Chuck