grimmie

The OFFICIAL 2012-2013 NHL Thread

The Wngs have a west-coast road trip and the Kings are on the list. Vancouver got their fannies beat by the Wings yesterday 8 to 3! After a five game loss streak, this just might be the spark for a Wings win streak. In spite of all the injuries and players on the DL, the Wings are hanging in.
I've never noticed that about Edmonton's rink.

Chuck

CHUCK.... how in the heck did you of all people.... in the place where you live..... Get interested in hockey....

I an thinking that men with sticks is not a very common team sport down that way.

Doesn't Dallas have a NHL team? :P

Dalla is merely an aberration:ph34r:

Think of it as a jobs program for wayward Canuckistani's

It's just not Hockey Night in Canada eh!!!

Hockey is bigger than Canuckistan.

It's just that those of us who's heads split in two when we talk realized what a great game hockey was long before others realized what we already knew. But to folks like Chuck and Lawrocket's credit, they too have come to realize what a great game that it is.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Hockey is bigger than Canuckistan.

It's just that those of us who's heads split in two when we talk realized what a great game hockey was long before others realized what we already knew. But to folks like Chuck and Lawrocket's credit, they too have come to realize what a great game that it is.

Hockey is big in Sweden, Finland and Norway, as well as Russia. They usually produce national teams capable of winning Olympic medals.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Actually we should be blaming Herb Brooks, not Eruzione. If Herb wasn't the eccentric nut case that he was, he never would believed in the impossible and never would have driven his players to go where no one else thought they could go.

Damn you Herb ... why did you have to go spoil everything. RIP big fella ...

Hockey is big in Sweden, Finland and Norway, as well as Russia.

Norway? ROFLMAO ... Norway is good enough to compete in the Olympics, not good enough to win medals.

Noted...So its mostly Finland and Russia? I don't remember much about Olympic hockey history other than the miracle on ice in the 1980 games. USA beat USSR in the semifinals then Finland in the Gold Medal game
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

And I remember Canada swept the men and womens' golds in Vancouver.

They had to win:ph34r:

I guess so, or all of Canada would have rioted. :D

Canadians rioting after a hockey game.... oh the horror of it all

Didn't that originate in Vancouver orwas it Edmonton?:)

Chuck

I'm not going to get into a pissing match over the actions of some completely useless pieces of skin... but we shouldn't forget that some of those charged were residents of Washington state...

I'm not going to get into a pissing match over the actions of some completely useless pieces of skin... but we shouldn't forget that some of those charged were residents of Washington state...

Kinda like the response of some cities in the U.S. after their team lost the World Series or the Superbowl.

Chuck

Proposed Realignment plan announced:

Conference 1: Devils, Flyers, Penguins, Rangers, Islanders, Capitals, Hurricanes
Conference 2: Bruins, Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Senators, Sabres, Panthers, Lightning
Conference 3: Red Wings, Blue Jackets, Predators, Blues, Blackhawks, Wild, Stars, Jets
Conference 4: Kings, Ducks, Coyotes, Sharks, Canucks, Flames, Oilers, Avalanche

All in all it looks pretty good due to time zone alignments. BUT – I see some issues:
(1) East has two 8 team divisions and West has two 7 team divisions. Advantage for playoffs to a West team
(2) Tampa and Florida get hosed! Look at the travel they’d have to do.
(3) Conference 1 loves the easy travel schedule.
(4) The Hawks and the Wings no longer division or even conference rivals.
(5) Heavy hitters east coast.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Tampa and Florida get hosed!

They had to go somewhere. Having a FL only conference would be rather silly. Besides, there are a lot of snowbirds from Canada and Northeasterners who vacation in FL in the winter who will take in some games. I know back in '95 I did this very thing. I happened to find myself in the Tampa area for the week (happened before I jumped) and I went to a couple of Lightning games in the old Thunderdome while I was there.

The Hawks and the Wings no longer division or even conference rivals.

Huh? Looks like even you have them listed in the same Conference. Speaking of Conferences, isn't this more of a Divisional re-alignment? It's really only the Jets re-aligning into the West where they geographically belong.

When did Atlanta lose their team?

Which team? The Atlanta Flames or the Atlanta Thrashers? LOL

The Thrashers moved to Winnipeg at the start of the 2011/2012 season.

Weren't the Atlanta Flames part of the old WHA and absorbed into the NHL? They moved to Calgary due to 'lack of interest' in Atlanta. The 'old' Winnipeg Jets were also in the old WHA and later became the Phoenix Coyotes. I think, I got that straight.

Chuck

Weren't the Atlanta Flames part of the old WHA and absorbed into the NHL? They moved to Calgary due to 'lack of interest' in Atlanta. The 'old' Winnipeg Jets were also in the old WHA and later became the Phoenix Coyotes. I think, I got that straight.

Not quite correct (though I will admit I needed to look this up). The Atlanta Flames never played in the WHA. They were created in 1972 and immediately added to the NHL to keep the WHA out of Atlanta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Flames

Other than that the rest of what you said is correct.

Not quite correct (though I will admit I needed to look this up). The Atlanta Flames never played in the WHA. They were created in 1972 and immediately added to the NHL to keep the WHA out of Atlanta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Flames

Other than that the rest of what you said is correct.

That's what I get for relying on my 'old' memory. Ha,ha... I appreciate your clearing that up.

Chuck

There you go again... blaming us hapless Washingtoonians fer everything:D:D:D