AggieDave

Hey Gym People

AggieDave

A buddy said he wanted to open a gym called "Resolutions." From Jan 1-March 1 it would be a fitness facility where you could buy a membership. From March 2 - December 31 it would be a bar.

:D

So true.
When I was in IN, a nearby YMCA built a new room on the facilities with a set of Nautilus machines, so I joined up. Every damned year, the first six weeks of the year would be packed with the damned new-years-resolution-ists.>:( So i learned to just take off that period every year.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

A buddy said he wanted to open a gym called "Resolutions." From Jan 1-March 1 it would be a fitness facility where you could buy a membership. From March 2 - December 31 it would be a bar.

:D

So i learned to just take off that period every year.:ph34r:

In my area there is the New Years rush, the Spring Break rush and the fall semester rush. Glad to have the crowded gyms since all those membership dollars buys new equipment and repairs the old, however, I still have no qualms with helping motivate people make better choices while they're there.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Makes sense to me. When I do situps on a yoga ball, I slip my feet underneath the tree that holds the pre-made barbells.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Whenever I 'had' a gym membership, I would encounter plenty of people that were novices and didn't understand the different staging areas. I tried to help them - teach them a few things so they could feel more comfortable. They were already taking the big step of going into world outside of their wheelhouse. I didn't try to act like some mega dickhead gym cop that couldn't wipe his own ass. Those people are worse than the novices.

davjohns

Makes sense to me. When I do situps on a yoga ball, I slip my feet underneath the tree that holds the pre-made barbells.

I know it makes. It just seemed very selfish/ignorant to waste the squat rack with that when the gym has plenty of other alternative to achieve that very same effect.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Arvoitus

Saw something even better today at the gym. Some chick was doing sit ups in the squat rack. Why? Because she could use the weight bar as a counter weight to stop her legs from lifting up.

Ive done that with dumbells when doing weighted sit ups...though I was off in the corner out of the way :D

Curling in the squat rack is still worse!!!
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

cruelpops

They were already taking the big step of going into world outside of their wheelhouse. I didn't try to act like some mega dickhead gym cop that couldn't wipe his own ass. Those people are worse than the novices.

I used to try to help folks, but around here by and large they really have zero desire for help, folks are usually very rude if I try to be kind and help. I get enough rude people at work, I don't need them in the gym. Typically I keep my head down, keep my headphones in and do my work keeping to myself. It's good "me" time to center myself and let the stress melt away.

Then again, I'm a competitor so my focus is generally different in the gym than many people. Here's me at the last meet with 560lbs on my back.;)

AggieDave

*** They were already taking the big step of going into world outside of their wheelhouse. I didn't try to act like some mega dickhead gym cop that couldn't wipe his own ass. Those people are worse than the novices.

Then again, I'm a competitor so my focus is generally different in the gym than many people. Here's me at the last meet with 560lbs on my back.;)

Holy rectum wrecker batman... it looks like you shit out someone's leg and about 145 lbs worth of plates!!! :o

Iago

We don't have a decline bench press so I use one of the situp benches with dumbells. It's a challenge to get on with much over 50#, though.

But, since I'm not one of those 'don't help me tweak my workout because I know everything' types I'm open to a better suggestion.

The question is what are your specific goals that are being addressed by doing a decline movement? For your personal goals it may not be the only movement you could do, substituting something that can be done safer in your gym.

AggieDave

*** They were already taking the big step of going into world outside of their wheelhouse. I didn't try to act like some mega dickhead gym cop that couldn't wipe his own ass. Those people are worse than the novices.

I used to try to help folks, but around here by and large they really have zero desire for help, folks are usually very rude if I try to be kind and help. I get enough rude people at work, I don't need them in the gym. Typically I keep my head down, keep my headphones in and do my work keeping to myself. It's good "me" time to center myself and let the stress melt away.

Nice lift Dave!
THis is my cousins husband - I am going lifting with them this weekend I think :o. I am preparing to feel quite weedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwq-xG__xN0
Never try to eat more than you can lift

davjohns

Equipment like squat racks or power cages are there because for some exercises, like squats, they are essential. Arguing for using them for curling just because it's slightly more convenient for you is kind of like arguing for using handicap parking spaces just because it saves you a few steps.

Also, if you have problems lifting the bar you are about to curl 4-6 reps with off the floor you should probably stop wasting your time with curls...

Interesting.

So, those pull-up bars on the power cage are not meant for pull-ups? You aren't meant to slide a bench into the squart rack and use it for military presses, bench presses, and all those other things they show on the literature? Some power cages actually have steps to assist in getting to the pull-up bars...for show, I'm sure. Now that I think about it, there are a few exercises (like mil press) that have no station in my gym unless you use the squat rack or power cage. Oh dear.

Can I use the pull-down bar to do press-downs? Can I use the cable crossover to do pulley curls? Where can I go to do cable crunches? I can't find a specific machine for that.

Face it. Someone got to the machine before you. If they are using it to exercise, they are using it for it's intended purpose. Claiming you have some superior right to it because you want to do another exercise is silly.

I'm working in the 4-6 rep range this month. Curls will be upwards of 135lbs. I can clearly pick that up from the floor. But thanks to the machinery in the gym for my use, I don't have to. Reduces the chance of injury to a lower back that hasn't been warmed up. :D

If you show up and it is absolutely imperative that you do squats right now and can't wait a few minutes or spend your time warming up, just ask. I have no problem making room for another gym rat. I just don't recognize a superior right to a piece of equipment because someone else wants it and thinks I'm not using it 'right'.

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

You need a pull-up bar to do pull ups. You need some sort of rack to do bench presses. Of course it's fine to use equipment you need.

The problem is when people use the cage for pure convenience and refuse to move when someone actually NEEDS the cage. It's really not about any superior right to anything, it's just about being helpful.

I used to work out in a gym where there was one single olympic bar and a number of bars with pre-loaded fixed weights. A person was using the olympic bar, unloaded, to do presses as part of a cirquit workout. I asked if she'd mind using one of fixed-weight bars instead, but she just replied something like: "No, I like to use this one" and popped her earplugs back in. Yes, she got there first and I have no superior right to the olympic bar just because I want to deadlift, but how about some cooperation with the people you share the equipment and space with?

Stumpy

Nice lift Dave!
THis is my cousins husband - I am going lifting with them this weekend I think :o. I am preparing to feel quite weedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwq-xG__xN0

Nice! It comes down to form, respect and effort. Respect the lift, use proper form and don't give up on the lift and you'll generally keep from getting punted when you lift with the big boys.

Wow. Yes, that kind of person would irritate me.

Andy9o8

After due consideration of all parties' briefs and arguments, The Court rules in favor of Dave Johnson's position.

This is a great day. As much as I love Andy, getting him to agree with me has not always been easy. I think I would have had an easier time before SCOTUS. :D

I feel it's important to derail this thread a bit and turn it into a general "complain about gym behaviour" thread.

My contribution: Motherfuckers who don't wear deodorant. There's nothing cool or broly about smelling horrible. DAMN.
cavete terrae.

grue

I feel it's important to derail this thread a bit and turn it into a general "complain about gym behaviour" thread.

My contribution: Motherfuckers who don't wear deodorant. There's nothing cool or broly about smelling horrible. DAMN.

Almost as bad as the use the whole damn can of Axe Spray in the locker room guy.