AggieDave

Hey Gym People

Do you lift weights at the gym? Do you do bicep curls in the squat rack? If you do, why?

I'm trying to wrap my head around why people do curls in the squat rack. Unfortunately I lift at a commercial gym and today I had to politely ask a skinny little dude with 5lbs on each end of the Texas Power Bar (competition powerlifting bar) if I could use the squat platform/stands (the only competition set in the gym) and the competition bar he was using for curls for my squat training.

At first he said no, he had 2 more sets with other exercises in between, but he relented when after I started gathering all the weight I was going to use for squats. There are bars with fixed weights for barbell curls next to the preacher curl bench, I just can't wrap my head around why this guy (and others) insist on doing curls over in the squat racks.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Douches will be douches.

I am pretty sure after he finished his curls he sat and mentally masterbated infront of the mirror walls for a while.

There are way too many people at the gym that act in an aggravating manner!

People using the wrong equipment or areas like you mentioned.

The Jersey Shore juice crowd that can't stop making love to their reflection.

Frat boy extreme that needs to scream, ***wwwwwwwwhhhhhatttttt* on every rep.

I should try to be less bothered by people, but some of this shit is seriously annoying!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Clueless selfish idiots I suppose.

For the past few years I've mainly been doing just instructor led group classes like les mills. A while back I decided that I needed to start going to the gym for real. Instead of just going there on my own and doing random stuff I hired a personal trainer to make me a program, which I probably I could've come up on my own with the help of google, but more importantly she showed me all the places at the gym and made sure I had proper technique.

I think that most people who do these things just don't know any better and have been doing so for so long that they can't be bothered to change their ways.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

DougH

Frat boy extreme that needs to scream, ***wwwwwwwwhhhhhatttttt* on every rep.

One of my favorite things to do with those guys (who are generally the same guys who drop weights) is to lifts a significantly heavier weight quietly and set it down quietly, turn and say "wow, you're really strong" to the d-bag. That's really a-hole of me, but it usually gets the d-bag jersey shore wanna-be to leave.
>:(:D

It's like not saying anything to the blow-hard "mad-skillz" low time swooper who won't take any advice then swooping the piss out of your canopy in front of him.:ph34r:

I'm trying to wrap my head around why people do curls in the squat rack.

I've seen it done. It's always by someone who is obviously a novice lifter.

To understand another culture,you have to get inside the heads of the subjects.
You're a lifter, and have been for a long time, so you know what a squat rack is for, and what it's not for. You also understand your personal strength parameters, so you're not insecurely afraid that you might accidentally drop the weight on your foot unless you have the "security" of the lugs on a rack to quickly bail the weight onto if need be.

Mr. Rudeness is a novice to lifting, and was probably never given proper instruction by an experienced lifter. He's also insecure about his maximum strength, and at what point in a set he might reach failure. He does his curls in a squat rack because, to him, it seems like a logical place to do it, and because it gives him a sense of security, as per the above. Sort of like... whatever, I hate analogies. Anyhow, that's why he does it.

I'm calling it a "squat rack" but it isn't a power rack like you're thinking. It is a lifting platform with adjustable posts to place the bar at the right height, like what is used in competition.

Like this: [ur]http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/higa.jpg[/url]

I use it because it is similar to what I use in competition and I'm a week out from my next meet and am doing competition level weight (today I did 525lbs for 2 reps).

Andy9o8

I see. Still, my previous post is the best edumacated guess I can come up with as to what might be going on inside the guy's punkin head.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from, but I would disagree in that a lot of guys would gravitate towards the preloaded and marked weight barbells in straight bar and EZ-bar types by the preacher curl bench.

I put this guy in the same class of people who put 1000lbs on the leg press and do 6" of a range of movement while screaming before walking away and leaving all their weight on the machine.

ShotterMG

maybe he figures he has the same right to use the machine as some no-neck meathead cop and doesn't give a fuck if he is in your way.

:D

Well, I am a stupid meathead.:D

AggieDave

Do you lift weights at the gym? Do you do bicep curls in the squat rack? If you do, why?

I'm trying to wrap my head around why people do curls in the squat rack. Unfortunately I lift at a commercial gym and today I had to politely ask a skinny little dude with 5lbs on each end of the Texas Power Bar (competition powerlifting bar) if I could use the squat platform/stands (the only competition set in the gym) and the competition bar he was using for curls for my squat training.

At first he said no, he had 2 more sets with other exercises in between, but he relented when after I started gathering all the weight I was going to use for squats. There are bars with fixed weights for barbell curls next to the preacher curl bench, I just can't wrap my head around why this guy (and others) insist on doing curls over in the squat racks.

Could be not knowing better. Hell, you know how much time I've been spending at the gym and only just recently realized I've been doing my bench press wrong.
cavete terrae.

Most of my excercises are outgrowths of my post surgical rehab for both shoulders. That and some stretches, sit ups, pull ups and push ups, nothing huge. I'm pretty amateur at it all but ask for advice from some of the gym rats. I mostly stay away from most of the fancy equipment or at least read the instructions.

The other day I was doing rope pull downs on the Nautilus, from full flight to flare. I call it my Tandem Master toggle excercise, what I always finish with. Someone said "Hey, you're doing your whole core, not isolating the muscle.":D

I told him that was my goal. ;)

The only problem I ever had in the gym was one lady in the weight room,didn't think you should be having "fun" in the weight room. I was working with a trainer for a while and she was great,but we laughed and had fun during the work out. I can't count how many times I told my trainer I hated her:D:DDidn't seem to bother anyone except that one person. According to her,when your in the weight room you're to be dead serious.
Oh well, only saw her that once:P

No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

Fuckin' Blender Balls...:S:ph34r:

We belong to a Lifetime gym that opened a few years back about ten miles away...probably one of the reasons we haven't moved yet...love that place!

Somebody really screwed up their market research...the place is huge with all the amenities, only thing missing is PEOPLE. B|

I can go anytime of the day and get on anything in there, seems to be the same hard-core gymnuts...maybe 100 people total using the facility...at 90.00 a month for both of us it's the deal of the century. B|

I join a gym across from work just outside of San Diego years ago...a long, old wooden building with 2 small windows one of which had a beat up air conditioner hanging out of it.

YOUR kind of place Dave, no screaming, no dropping and one walmart mirror. Serious lifters only...most of the Chargers offensive line would be in there on any given day, I remember Louie Kelcher telling some yuppie Arnold wanna-be there were MEN WORKING and he needed to go to Family Fitness Center where he could impress the hookers with his spandex lifting shirt... :ph34r::D

I loved that place! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Do you lift weights at the gym?

I've been known to.

Do you do bicep curls in the squat rack? If you do, why?

It depends on what is available. Most squat racks have safety bars that make a fine place to place the olympic bar so that I don't have to bend over to the floor to pick it up. Also, when it is on the floor, I have to bend over to pick the end up to change the weights. Being on a squat rack solves that.

I've been known to use a bench press for the same reason and put up with straddling the bench while curling...because nothing else is available.

The rack of barbells that you refer to is fine if I am doing high reps. But when I get to the 4-6 rep range, I'm using as much as 155#. I've never been to a gym that has that much in a ready-made barbell.

I mis-use other equipment also. I work obliques on the hyper-extension machine. I do skull crushers on the bench press turned 180 degrees to the standard direction. I do Romanian deadlifts standing on a bench so I don't have to pick the bar off the floor. Etc.

I don't begrudge other people using the equipment any way they like. If the same guy was doing squats, I presume you wouldn't have minded.

Now, you mention the guy was doing some kind of circuit. That actually does annoy me if the gym is busy. Tying up multiple pieces of equipment violates gym protocol where I've been.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

AggieDave

My wife and my kids had to check on me because I was laughing so loudly.

"If this was the place to do bicep curls it would be called the rest of the gym."

:D:D

This guy is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=UJRoyzODlhM&NR=1

"There is nothing wrong with drinking wine, as long as your OK with growing a clit where your penis used to be"

LOL!!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

airtwardo

Somebody really screwed up their market research...the place is huge with all the amenities, only thing missing is PEOPLE. B|

Truth is that those clubs LOVE selling memberships to people who never show. It's like selling a 1000 seats on a B737 and only a dozen actually show up for the flight. ;):D

And for those who show up? Plenty of legroom. B|

JohnMitchell

Truth is that those clubs LOVE selling memberships to people who never show. It's like selling a 1000 seats on a B737 and only a dozen actually show up for the flight. ;):D

And for those who show up? Plenty of legroom. B|

That's a gym's bread and butter.

A buddy said he wanted to open a gym called "Resolutions." From Jan 1-March 1 it would be a fitness facility where you could buy a membership. From March 2 - December 31 it would be a bar.

:D