johnnyboy

Triathlon 190 v Z-Po 210

As a newbie, I have to ask you pros ;) for some comments, hopefully to calm my nerves :)

I have recently found a rig with such an incredible price, I couldnt turn down the offer. It is a Quasar II container, Triathlon 190, PD Reserve 160 and a Cypres. Without flying it, I bought it. The rigger at my DZ repacked the reserve, inspected it, and flew it giving me A+ comments........

However, I only have 18 jumps. I weigh 230 and I have yet to stand up my landing (I guess I am made to have dust appear when I land and tumble :)
I know my wing loading is high, but my JMs all said i am fine with a 190, so I took their advice.......

Now I turn to you all to quash my nerves of a hard landing ;)
I was told that since my Triathlon is a 7 cell, I will have less glide, so I am already expecting to see the ground come at me faster. I was also told that the Z-Po 210 is a hybrid so mine will be more responsive. Additionally, the z-po has been used much more extensively than my fairly new canopy so my rigger told me to expect even more response.......

SO, can someone please tell me what to expect? (For ANY of the gear)
thank you all very much ;) and I really look forward to becoming a real skydiver and joining you all in the air someday.
Thanks again---johnny:)
jumpers ARE better all around people than whuffos

Interesting question / post~

Okay...let me preface by saying that I have a lot of experience on both of the canopies you mentioned.
And I weigh 240 neckkid.

The Tri 190 is a great canopy, I think you will find that it
is somewhat faster than the Zpo 210 in both forward speed
and in sink rate. But not remarkably so. I would bet that with your number of jumps you'll hardly be able to tell the difference in level flight.

That being said, the Tri will be more responsive in the turns,
be aware that it will lose more altitude faster than what
you've seen with the Zpo.
Don't get drastic with the toggle input down low,
the ground will sneak up on you.

With your straight in approach on the 190,
keep in mind that you will be going slightly faster than the 210
...but that translates positively into a soft landing with a smooth flare.

If there is any kind of wind at all you should have no trouble
standing up.
The canopies I jump most often are Zpo 190 & Zpo 170.
The Zpo 190 is just a hair faster than the Tri 190,

(about the same ratio as the 210 to the Tri 190.)

...but the Tri 190 is a smoother, easier canopy to land.

I'm sure you will like it..
and it will be a great canopy for you for
some time to come.

I am a bit concerned though if you're a 'cloud of dust'
landing the 210 at this point...

In all likelihood you won't make any 'MORE' dust with
the Tri, and I think that's what your concerned about.

But just for the sake of discussion,
might you not want to maybe make a few more on
the 210 just to sharpen your landing skills on the
canopy you're more familiar with?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I have recently found a rig with such an incredible price, I couldnt turn down the offer. It is a Quasar II container, Triathlon 190, PD Reserve 160 and a Cypres......

I know my wing loading is high, but my JMs all said i am fine with a 190, so I took their advice

Did your JMs say you would be fine under a 160? At 1.5:1?

Man, at 18 jumps and no stand up landings that is seriously high, and to me quite scary.

From the PDR owners manual (which somone on here is using as a sig line)

Do you really want to be trying to figure out how to land the smallest, fastest, highest rate of descent canopy you have ever jumped, while landing in an undesireable location?

Just remember, a bad landing under that will be more than hard, it will break you. There are loads more experienced people than me on this site (or at your dropzone) that can give you advice but like I said, to me it sounds scary[:/]
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Sorry to keep on going about this but if you look here at the PD website you can find recommended WLs for PD reserves.

Your exit weight is around 250. You are above what PD recommends as the max for expert pilots (read 1000+ jumps) and you are only 5lbs away from being over the max weight limit. If you eat a big dinner the day before jumping your reserve will no longer be legal.

I know it may seem like the reserve is just there to give you something comfy to lean on but when you do end up underneath it unstowing your brakes at 1k then then you want something you can trust, well I do anyway.

Anyway, you've found one of the greatest sports in the world, make sure you live to enjoy it:)

Your exit weight is around 250. You are above what PD recommends as the max for expert pilots (read 1000+ jumps) and you are only 5lbs away from being over the max weight limit. If you eat a big dinner the day before jumping your reserve will no longer be legal.

Good Catch!B|

The question was on mains and I glossed over
the reserve part.

You're right on with your conclusions, to small.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thank you sooooo much for your advice ;) That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I was thinking of the possibility that because of my lack of experience, I probably wouldnt notice too much of a difference on the 190. And for the low turns, I wouldnt dare after reading all the incident reports this year. I am way too inexperienced to try anything of that sort.
Additionally, what can you tell me about how you feel about the Triathlon being a first canopy?
Moreover, can you tell me anything about the rest of the gear?
Airtwardo, I know we need to have a discussion about the reserve, so please see my response to Jakee below :)Thanks again for all your information. It is exactly what I was looking for. ;)
I would love to jump with you some day, jump ticket on me ;)

Jakee,

Thank you for bringing up the reserve issue. I was going to ask about that next.
I myself have been seriously concerned about the size of that reserve. Apparently, my rigger told me a PD reserve 160 actually translates to a 174 square foot canopy. I dont know how exactly that works, but that is what I was told.........
Even if the canopy is 16 square feet smaller than my main, I think i would be scared shitless being under a new, smaller canopy at 1k after having a nerve wrecking cut-away (knock on wood :)I am hoping the rig can fit a slightly larger reserve, but for now, I think this is what I am going to have. (I am a poor student ;)). My JMs say I am fine, but either way, I feel uncomfortable for the most part flying something new and more dangerous in emergency situations.
Please give me your thoughts everyone and tell me how you feel about a student flying that canopy.
Once again, I really appreciate everyone's help and I feel great that I can turn to a website to answer some important questions.
Thank you!!! BLUE SKIES :P
p.s. Jakee, come to California and jump!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently, my rigger told me a PD reserve 160 actually translates to a 174 square foot canopy. I dont know how exactly that works, but that is what I was told.........

Hey, I honestly don't know about canopy measuring techniques or whatever but PD limits are PD limits, y'know what I'm saying?

p.s. Jakee, come to California and jump!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaaargh! I'm just a poor student, don't tempt me with your huge dropzones and fantastic weather! Seriously though, the moment I get some cash together I will be there faster than you can say BA transatlantic;)

what can you tell me about how you feel about the Triathlon being a first canopy?

Moreover, can you tell me anything about the rest of the gear?

Honestly....

I'm an old grumpy conservative kind of guy.

I think it might be a little to aggressive for your
jump numbers, but I don't know YOU..
or your training.

You sound like you're attempting to take
the slow / safe path.B|

I think if your jumpmaster / DZO don't have an issue
with you transitioning to that Tri, and you take it slow
and easy you'll be fine.

They're great all around canopies...well made and predictable...even 'somewhat' forgiving.
But make NO mistake, if you get complacent it will
bite you, but then too will the Zpo 210.

I like the Quazar ll..

I like Strong gear in general, in my opinion...Strong Ent.
subscribes to the KISS method of design and engineering.

Pain English...it works!

It may not be as flashy or slick as some other more
popular assemblies. But they are extremely well built
and last forever.
I've been dealing with that company for over 20 years,
and never have had a complaint..good service, fair prices.

The demonstration team I jump on uses Strong gear exclusively, after seeing how well the rigs and canopies perform under the extra ordinary use they get during demos...
most of us have gone over to the Quazar for personal
sport rigs too.

Now...
The reserve...

Don't fuck around! ;)

It's too small for you now. Measure it any way you will...
According to the PD website...you're asking for trouble.

You got a great deal on the rig...but it was SOMEONE
else's combination, if you had the funds you very well
may have chosen that main...it's right for you.

But you wouldn't have chosen that reserve.
...so DON'T!:)

Look around, keep your ears open...
someone may want to downsize and work a trade
with you..
It's a great reserve, top of the line, sell it separate
and buy something more suitable.

Your "Last Bullet" isn't something you can use
and 'grow' into like rolling up the cuffs on
a pair of Levis. :D

Only use today what you KNOW will save your ass
and let you do it again tomorrow.

That high of a wing loading in your case