Calvin19

Dog People? Help? SAR

Hi friends,
I need help, advice.

My 2 year old indoor-only semi-dissabled cat got locked out of my house last week, maybe during neighborhood fireworks, when I was out of town. Roomates did not notice her missing because she is so shy and the other cat was still using the box/food/water. We are doing the cat box outside/clothes outside/food, talked to the shelter, posters, etc. Of course GF and I noticed within minutes of coming home. It's been 2 days now. I found a place where she was sleeping on the side of the house. Her hair no doubt. But she has not been back since i discovered it.

She had a BAD sickness as a kitten before i adopted/rescued her and her head wobbles a lot, and her eyes are very shifty. She is VERY shy. Only comes out when me or my GF is around. I am somewhat confident she can still kill stuff to eat and find water, but maybe not find her way as it has been 5-9 day she has been out. I am not an idiot, I know the stats are 25%, but It is worth being very proactive about it to me.

WHAT I WANT TO DO:

Find a bloodhound or SAR dog to help trace where she is/went. I know the scent trail is likely dry, but I don't think she would go very far. I have read that this has been done, but all my attempts to contact dog people are shit down. (cops said they only will use their dogs look for drugs and lost children. Pigs. But I understand i guess. all SAR groups are out of reach at the moments. People ARE more important ) But there has to be dogs in training that could use a field trip? amateur trackers? I will pay. $$$

WHAT I DON'T WANT TO DO:
never see her again (dead or alive), or think that I did not try hard enough to rescue her. (again).

Cute cat...

I would start walking your neighborhood, like your on a mission. Have a handful of flyiers with the cat picture on it, in case some neigbors get on the phone...

Your looking for a blood hound...

There are volunteer groups that do this, get on the phone, it is not going to be easy to find them...you have already found out about your local pd, try the fire department and the ambulance guys, you want to find the guy with the dog that no-one calls. Call your local animal shelter. I do remember some volunteer associations, try out of state to see if they know any in state people. In many parts of the country this is actually a hobby. To see who's dog is the best at finding things, there is an association, perhaps calling the national Kennel associations?

Good luck
C

Don't give up...

Something like this?

http://www.bloodhounds.org/trailing/Introduction%20to%20Trailing%20ABC.pdf

I don't know???
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

We have been rooting through some backyards for sure. knocking on doors, etc.

I have done a bit of searching for dog forums/SAR forums, not much came up. Anyone know of one for colorado area?

I will call the shelter again, this time looking for a dog group.

VERY happy to report that I found my SpaceCatOne three houses down under a deck and a pile of abandoned 'powerwheels' carcasses. She is alive, but has some battle scars. I think she was outside for a week. Cats are awesome.

I mean, I suppose I was asking for a dog to help, But I love SPACE!

Im very glad you found your friend:)
Im down to my last little friend. and he's nearly 17 yo. I'm Going to miss him terribly when he goes.[:/]

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Calvin19

VERY happy to report that I found my SpaceCatOne three houses down under a deck and a pile of abandoned 'powerwheels' carcasses. She is alive, but has some battle scars. I think she was outside for a week. Cats are awesome.

I mean, I suppose I was asking for a dog to help, But I love SPACE!

Thanks for letting us know. OMG what acute snuggly kitty.
Owned by Remi #?

You don't even know how sad I was to read this and see her cute picture! Then I got ecstatic reading that you found her!

We have a rescue cat as skittish/scared as yours and I'm always afraid she would never come back if she managed to escape/get locked out.

I'm very happy for you, man! Rock on! B|

Great news! One of mine went missing, and when he walked up the drive three days later I was so elated that it was only later that I realized how down I had been. Love them cats!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Croc

Great news! One of mine went missing, and when he walked up the drive three days later I was so elated that it was only later that I realized how down I had been. Love them cats!

I wanted to tell people that you shouldn't give up on your lost pet, even if it's been a long time.

My son's cat slipped out of his apartment in early May and went AWOL. He searched, did the flyers, called the local shelter, but all to no avail. :( We all had given up on him ever seeing her again.

He called this morning to tell me the shelter across town had her in custody, and he could pick her up anytime! :)
Lesson: Chip your pets! Even those who are "indoor-only." You never know when they might get out.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

glad you got her back! I miss my Charlie Girl every day :( Didn't think I loved her as much as I did now that she has passed on. It is comforting to come home and have her come plop herself down next to me.. now we have a high maintenance pure bred puppy that only has two speeds full tilt or off LOL

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

oldwomanc6

Lesson: Chip your pets! Even those who are "indoor-only." You never know when they might get out.

My boys are both indoor-only (well, except for balcony time) and are both chipped. I considered it a great investment.

Last summer I was at the emergency vet on a Sunday morning with one of my kitties because he'd managed to get himself a big gash. Waiting room was fairly busy when a guy walked in with a (clearly healthy and well-cared for) pup on a makeshift leash. He said he'd found her wandering in a park near his home, and wondered if they could scan her for a chip.

The whole waiting room erupted in cheers when the scanner "beeped" indicating that there was a chip... I know I'd hope for a similar outcome if one of my guys ever got lost. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke