DcloudZ

Whuffos ignorance...

Why in the fuck do whuffos not consider skydiving a "real" sport?

Apparently in their mind all we do is fall from the sky until our parachute opens and then it places us gently on the ground.

I'm fed up of coming across this stupid attitude.>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

/End rant
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

Eh, I just use this magical skill called empathy, and put myself back in their shoes, when all I knew about skydiving was that you fall from the sky until your parachute opens and then it places you gently on the ground.

If all you've ever seen is a tandem video (and let's not kid ourselves, that's what the vast majority of people have ever seen), it's a rather logical conclusion to come to.

I don't bring up skydiving with my whuffo friends/coworkers too often, basically because I have answered the same basic questions so many times that I don't really feel like it most of the time.

Then again, I've also been in the sport long enough that I'm over the idea that I have to talk about skydiving all the time. :D

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I think it's a lot of fun.

And on par with car racing, bowling, shooting, bow shooting, golf, and water ballet - as far as the old "sport vs activity" argument goes

I don't care what someone calls it. I just enjoy the activity.

Worry less about what others think and you'll have less rants and healthier blood pressure.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It is a matter of personal opinion what constitutes a 'sport'. In my humble view, it is not a sport unless you are competing against another person who is actively trying to prevent you from achieving your goal. It order for it to be a sport, there must be a defense.

So in my mind, skydiving is not a sport. Neither is track and field, golf, swimming, diving, or weightlifting. They are all a demonstration of skill, but not a sport.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

DiverMike

It is a matter of personal opinion what constitutes a 'sport'. In my humble view, it is not a sport unless you are competing against another person who is actively trying to prevent you from achieving your goal. It order for it to be a sport, there must be a defense.

So in my mind, skydiving is not a sport. Neither is track and field, golf, swimming, diving, or weightlifting. They are all a demonstration of skill, but not a sport.

So for skydiving to be a sport you'd have to throw two guys and one parachute out the door? Gotta admit, it'd probably be a pretty interesting sport...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

NWFlyer

Eh, I just use this magical skill called empathy, and put myself back in their shoes, when all I knew about skydiving was that you fall from the sky until your parachute opens and then it places you gently on the ground.

One day talking to a coworker who eats, sleeps and breathes basketball about how I knew someone who was a great skydiver.

His response was "What, you jump out, pull the string and either it works or it doesn't. What's there to be good at?":D:D

I hope my world view is never that narrow. ;)

JohnMitchell

One day talking to a coworker who eats, sleeps and breathes basketball about how I knew someone who was a great skydiver.

His response was "What, you jump out, pull the string and either it works or it doesn't. What's there to be good at?":D:D

I hope my world view is never that narrow. ;)

Maybe next time you see him and he's talking about basketball you need to throw out something like "you run down the court and throw a kids toy up a hoop . . it either goes in or it doesn't . . what's there to be good at? Heck, at least at the boardwalk if it goes in I get a stuffed bear!" :D:D

You're bothered because people don't think jumping is a sport. Back when I was good lookin' the first words people would say when they found out: You're crazy. You'd have lost your mind.
By the way the definition of a sport is If you can do it with a sandwich in your hand it ain't a sport.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

devildog

By the way the definition of a sport is If you can do it with a sandwich in your hand it ain't a sport.

I can play soccer with a sandwich in my hand.

Exactly.

You only need one ball to play soccer; skydiving takes both
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

grue

******you Canadians get riled up really easily don't you?

Fuck you!

... oh, wait...

:DB|

Shouldn't it have been "Fuck you, eh!"?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

DiverMike

Those are games, not sports.

Mountaineering, Bullfighting and Racing. Those are the only sports. The rest are just games.
Supposedly Hemingway, but there are doubts.

Or...

If it can't kill ya, it ain't a sport.

And really, who cares?

I enjoy doing it. What other people think about it really isn't something I care about.

I get people asking why (because it's really, really cool) or if I'm scared (I jumping from an airplane 2 miles above the ground, of course I'm scared) but I've never gotten any argument if it's a sport or not.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

DiverMike

. In my humble view, it is not a sport unless you are competing against another person who is actively trying to prevent you from achieving your goal. It order for it to be a sport, there must be a defense.

I've been on tons of jumps that meet that definition. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

***. In my humble view, it is not a sport unless you are competing against another person who is actively trying to prevent you from achieving your goal. It order for it to be a sport, there must be a defense.

I've been on tons of jumps that meet that definition. :P

We didn't use to call it Combat RW for no reason! B|:P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

DougH

Whuffo you post this stupid ass thread? ;)

I guess you haven't grown past the "don't you know who I AM, I AM A SKYDIVER" stage.

It's not about that Doug...

It's about the thousands of hours, all of the money, the numerous sacrifices that I've made to participate in this sport and to continuously evolve and push myself to get better; all of that. All of that for some people to chalk it up to a crazy, risky suicidal activity that's nothing but a waste of time and money and has no goal.

It's aggravating, that's all. It's not about HEY look at me I skydive.