ridestrong

Apple Quickly Falling Behind the Times

I will say this though, Samgung doesn't seem to have the entire technology eco-system thing figured out. I think that's where Apple's strength is. Not just the one specific product, but the overall integration of everything put together; phone, computer, TV, music, movies....

Maybe that's not important to some people and they want something else; okay cool.

That integration of Apple is exactly why I don't use their products. I want the freedom to pick and choose. The entire Apple eco-system is about making one bite lead to another until you've bought the entire pantry.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Two sides of the same coin I suppose, but I would rather have one logically designed eco-system of devices where everything works together than a miss-mash of "amazing" products none of which work together naturally and only sort of work together after kludgy work arounds.

Every company is ONLY out for themselves. Every, damn, one.

Once you realize that, you'll understand why I put a bit more of my faith in companies who have it in their own best interest that their products work together. I just want to do my own work; I'm not nearly as interested in providing providing personal trouble shooting tech support to bridge the gaps left between other companies.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

My galaxy s3 and nexus 7 work fine with my homebuilt PC (which also runs arcGIS...Macs not so much). In fact I've yet to have to troubleshoot anything. In the next couple of weeks I'm going to try to figure out how to integrate my phone with my TV and computer at the same time. This may be a challenge, but for the purposes I intend, I suspect it would be even worse in an apple environment. My wife is an apple fanatic and it works great for her (although she's currently considering not upgrading her iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 because her 4 year old laptop can't support whatever OS is necessary to transfer her music library?) I just prefer greater customization control to being locked into one brand for everything. When shopping for a new device, my primary concerns are cost and suitability for the task at hand. I can't imagine sacrificing performance and paying more just so I can easily connect my phone to my TV.

Blues
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

If you're running ArcGIS and tell me you've never had to troubleshoot anything...well, I question your memory of events. ;)

Actually, ArcGIS runs just "fine" on a Mac (well, no worse than usual).. Sadly, you have to jump through a few hoops to make that happen.

As for making my phone work with my TV. I plugged the Apple TV device into my TV screen's HDMI, flipped it on, input my WiFi credentials and boom, done.

quade -

If you're running ArcGIS and tell me you've never had to troubleshoot anything...well, I question your memory of events. ;)

Ha ha, touche. I meant I've never had any problems interfacing my mobile devices with my PC. I'm sure that will change the first time I add ArcGIS for Android to one of my mobile devices. :D

As for making my phone work with my TV. I plugged the Apple TV device into my TV screen's HDMI, flipped it on, input my WiFi credentials and boom, done.

That's pretty cool, except I've never in my life connected my phone to my TV, so I can't imagine paying a premium price and limiting myself to one manufacturer just to make it a simple plug-and-play event.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

You've never once done it before, because you haven't have the capabilities to do it.

On the other hand, I've seen the future and it includes being able to walk into a room filled with people and be able to show them a video or presentation instantly without having to hook anything up. It also includes me being able to show a funny cat video I just looked at on YouTube to my entire family without having to do anything other than clicking a button on my phone. I don't have to download it to a device or go over to another device connected to the TV to call it up.

Just hit a button and everyone can see it.

Trust me, the first time you do this will seem like magic and you'll really wonder why everything isn't like this.
quade -

In a full time skydiver. I watch weather religiously :).
That being said -on obviously gorgeous days I don't watch anything. But on every other day - I wake up, read my email, use aeroweather to tell me the aviation forecasts,then the weather.com app for their forecasts. If they don't agree I check weatherbug, accuweather and weatherunderground - all apps on my phone. So having one app
Display on the screen wouldn't be that helpful cuz I check a bunch daily!

I know that I have become the unpaid default geek at the dz. and our windows computer causes more problems than the 5 macs combined.
The only reason we have any windows computer is because our manifest software is only windows. Otherwise there would be none.

Example problem - mid afternoon today our windows computer decided it was April 29 not march 29. That screwed a bunch of stuff up. I know our manifester didn't open up control panel/date and time/ edit the month. How on earth it changed I have no idea. But it took a bunch of time for me to fix that random date change that it wrought.
Drives me nuts!!!

If we find a good manifest software that runs on macs we will switch in a heartbeat. That one windows computer is a serious PITA!

In a full time skydiver. I watch weather religiously :).
That being said -on obviously gorgeous days I don't watch anything. But on every other day - I wake up, read my email, use aeroweather to tell me the aviation forecasts,then the weather.com app for their forecasts. If they don't agree I check weatherbug, accuweather and weatherunderground - all apps on my phone. So having one app
Display on the screen wouldn't be that helpful cuz I check a bunch daily!

I know that I have become the unpaid default geek at the dz. and our windows computer causes more problems than the 5 macs combined.
The only reason we have any windows computer is because our manifest software is only windows. Otherwise there would be none.

Example problem - mid afternoon today our windows computer decided it was April 29 not march 29. That screwed a bunch of stuff up. I know our manifester didn't open up control panel/date and time/ edit the month. How on earth it changed I have no idea. But it took a bunch of time for me to fix that random date change that it wrought.
Drives me nuts!!!

If we find a good manifest software that runs on macs we will switch in a heartbeat. That one windows computer is a serious PITA!

So, you're saying you're a weather freak. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Drives me nuts!!!

The only piece of Winbloze sw I use is an exam engine, and I run it w/o Windows, by using "wine": http://www.winehq.org/

Wine sets up a set of libraries and an environment to simulate Windows. The app looks and runs just like any other app on the system. I previously tried the virtual machine methods, and they were just too much of a PITA and clunky. The best part of Wine is you don't need to deal with Windows at all!

You can install Wine on a Mac via the Macports system: http://www.macports.org/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

What calendar is that?

Blues,
Dave

It's DigiCal, you'll love it. You can even scroll the widget to see over a week of your schedule right from the widget. And it's free!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digibites.calendar
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

My understanding is that the Android phone is nothing but a fancy user interface to his custom hardware/software solution that attacks ACARS and ADS-B. So you could do that with any programmable device.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

My understanding is that the Android phone is nothing but a fancy user interface to his custom hardware/software solution that attacks ACARS and ADS-B. So you could do that with any programmable device.

Maybe they just haven't made the Iphone app yet but I think the takeaway here is.....

Hijack an airliner, there's an app for that.

quade

You've never once done it before, because you haven't have the capabilities to do it.

On the other hand, I've seen the future and it includes being able to walk into a room filled with people and be able to show them a video or presentation instantly without having to hook anything up. It also includes me being able to show a funny cat video I just looked at on YouTube to my entire family without having to do anything other than clicking a button on my phone. I don't have to download it to a device or go over to another device connected to the TV to call it up.

Just hit a button and everyone can see it.

Trust me, the first time you do this will seem like magic and you'll really wonder why everything isn't like this.

I guess I'll be trying my hand at magic after all. I just spent $35 on a device that purports to do just that (and works in both Apple and Google devices). :)
Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I don't think any one company has the edge over another, they all have their merits to suit individual tastes, with that being said it's all about price and marketing.

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

GooniesKid

***This thread is just like the Racer vs all others,,,,big deal, enjoy what ya want,,there is no better,,,its just what YOU prefer....

I keep looking at...dat ass! :$

is that a real picture of you?

Dude. Lay off the spanishfly for a while.
Remster

Remster

******This thread is just like the Racer vs all others,,,,big deal, enjoy what ya want,,there is no better,,,its just what YOU prefer....

I keep looking at...dat ass! :$

is that a real picture of you?

Dude. Lay off the spanishfly for a while.

Meh. He's just like the excitable half-grown pup that humps the leg of every stranger he meets.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.