ridestrong

Apple Quickly Falling Behind the Times

The phone is not the tool........

you're right, it's the Apple fanboys that are the tools;)

You've been sucking on stale cheese.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Reminds me of this gem:

"Arguing with Apple fans: it’s like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good you are at chess the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it’s victorious."

;)

Funny? No. Arrogant BS? Yes. Childish? Yes. Congrats.
*shaking head*
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

and the Macbook line....don't even get me started on those overpriced machines...

Really? My son is in the market for a new laptop and wondered if he should save up for a Macbook Pro. I'd love to get you started on why they're not worth it!

Hey Skymama - I work for a company that moves other companies to Google Apps, and therefore I'm device independent as mostly what I run is a browser. I've probably been given 10-12 laptops of various sorts in the last 18 months through work testing things.

Unless your son is doing something very resource intensive (video editing/ heavy development) just about anything will do the job these days.

After all that testing I just bought a new laptop for myself, and its a macbook air. My work machine is a chromebook.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Thanks, that's good to know! He mentioned he can only watch a video for 3 minutes before his current laptop shuts down, so probably anything is going to be an improvement.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

My girlfriend had a crap laptop that actually had a class action lawsuit filed to HP because of the components failing on them.

So, black Friday, I went to COMPUSA and got her a new Asus i5 laptop... I upgraded the memory and hard drive in it, and it's more than she will ever need for studying, screwing around on facebook and whatnot. I think hers only cost $300-$400 before the upgrades (which I did myself).

I own a Macbook, Mac Mini, iPhone 5 and iPad... and I don't really like Macs. Any of my PC's can do what the Macs can, but much cheaper.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Ive got a cheap asus too. It works great for genral light use. It cost like 300. So obviously its nowhere nearthe latest or greatest. But hy, it lets me do what i need to on a daily basis.

And as far as the phone pissing contest goes, iphone here. It was the first smartphone i got and its what i know. Personally im happy with it, and better yet, actually know how to use it. So fo plain ease of use and not havin to learn a new operating system, im sticking with apple.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I had a Treo smartphone. It was innovative for it's time. Did some cool things.

I've had two iPhones. They are nice. Reliable, fast, elegant.

I had three Blackberries. They are great. Tough as nails, best physical keyboard in the business. Very secure OS.

I've had two Motorola Droids. They rock. Right at this millisecond in history, Android is the best smartphone OS out there, IMO.

I have two Samsung galaxy tabs, 7 and 7.0+. They are so sturdy and easy to use that my 4-year old loves to play with them, and my 6-year old knows how to talk to them and get answers.

Seriously, what's not to love about these things? It's like saying Ms. Argentina is not as pretty as Ms. Russia. They're all good! And they all have weird quirks and huge egos. That wouldn't stop me from using them for two years, then upgrading.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

now i'm not a company rep or paid spokesperson or anything, but blackberry is the best smartphone os out right now. but that's like saying ______(insert os here) is the best. lots of variables involved. but when you figure nuber of vulnerabilities, amount of targeted malware, and security, my original statement stands undisputed.
http://kitswv.com

now i'm not a company rep or paid spokesperson or anything, but blackberry is the best smartphone os out right now. but that's like saying ______(insert os here) is the best. lots of variables involved. but when you figure nuber of vulnerabilities, amount of targeted malware, and security, my original statement stands undisputed.

If apple are falling behind the times, blackberry are plummeting.They are no longer relevant even to their core audience, the corporates. I am actually surprised they have lasted this long.

and the Macbook line....don't even get me started on those overpriced machines...

Really? My son is in the market for a new laptop and wondered if he should save up for a Macbook Pro. I'd love to get you started on why they're not worth it!

Once you use a Mac you'll never go back. :P

The list is nearly endless in the operating system faults of a PC compared to a Mac. Overall, ease of operation and reliability matched with the best quality, hands down MacBookPro beats any PC out there. I've almost forgotten how to use a PC and I don't even care to learn.
Windows8... it look elementary.

I'm waiting for the 17" retina screen MacBookPro to be released. :) Specifications of the new models do not exceed what I currently have. Other than being thinner and lighter. The iMac is imo the best system out there.

I think Steve Jobs was a visionary that is not easily replaced.

Once you use a Mac you'll never go back.

I'm living proof that's a lie :)

Overall, ease of operation and reliability matched with the best quality, hands down MacBookPro beats any PC out there.

Again, I disagree. The quality of the Macbook Pro isn't any better than any PC I've owned. Sure it's prettier, by far, but as far as reliability and issues, I've had far more on my Macbook Pro than any PC I've owned. Overheating, USB flakey when the unit is hot and, pound for pound twice the price for the same components I could get on a PC. For the $2500 I payed for this, I could have a MONSTER of a machine.

IMO there are only 2 REALLY good things about the Macs:
1) The trackpad is simply amazing.
2) Battery life is better than any PC I've owned.

Otherwise, I'm sorry - it's an overpriced "trendy" computer I'll not buy again.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

If apple are falling behind the times, blackberry are plummeting.They are no longer relevant even to their core audience, the corporates. I am actually surprised they have lasted this long.

We just decommissioned our BB servers for good, and probably going with iPads.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

We just decommissioned our BB servers for good, and probably going with iPads.

Yep - you and the rest of the world

Overall, ease of operation and reliability matched with the best quality, hands down MacBookPro beats any PC out there.

Again, I disagree. The quality of the Macbook Pro isn't any better than any PC I've owned. Sure it's prettier, by far, but as far as reliability and issues, I've had far more on my Macbook Pro than any PC I've owned. Overheating, USB flakey when the unit is hot and, pound for pound twice the price for the same components I could get on a PC. For the $2500 I payed for this, I could have a MONSTER of a machine.

Ian

I'd add "much slimmer, greater strength" to that list. Apple laptops are more visually appealing, even if they don't run as fast as a significantly cheaper PC counterpart.
Work requires me to carry a Mac, so I'm very grateful for Bootcamp. I use a Galaxy tab and phone for most of my work, and having had to once carry an iPhone and a Droid at the same time, I'm happy my Droid does everything iPhone does and then some. For Swype, clean speech to text, Gdox, and speed, the Droid is the better choice for me.
Both IOS and Android are great, but I find the Android is faster access and more flexible for me.

I can see the current weather conditions for my location right on my home screen without having to do a thing ...

Thank God someone has developed an app to determine the current weather at their current location. How on Earth could you do that without a fancy smart phone?

- Dan G

I can see the current weather conditions for my location right on my home screen without having to do a thing ...

Thank God someone has developed an app to determine the current weather at their current location. How on Earth could you do that without a fancy smart phone?

Well, you don't expect me to walk all the over to the window, do you?:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Well there's always a Weather Rock
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

My wife used to work student manifest. When students (and instructors, vidiots, etc.) would walk up and ask her when the weather was going to clear, she'd just point at and say, "Ask the rock."

- Dan G

I can scroll to the left and see current/ real-time news updates right on the home screen, no app needed.

Wow, so on a Samsung I can make a swiping motion to get that info, where on my iPhone I have to make a tapping motion?

Truly revolutionary.

- Dan G

My wife used to work student manifest. When students (and instructors, vidiots, etc.) would walk up and ask her when the weather was going to clear, she'd just point at and say, "Ask the rock."

LOL!!:)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I can scroll to the left and see current/ real-time news updates right on the home screen, no app needed.

Wow, so on a Samsung I can make a swiping motion to get that info, where on my iPhone I have to make a tapping motion?

Truly revolutionary.

Live/interactive home screens are actually quite convenient, quicker and nice to be able to customize however you like. Maybe it's not for you, that's fine.

To all the weather app haters.... I guess I'm the weird one for wanting to know what the temperature is outside first thing in the morning, the Hi's/Lows, and chances of precipitation to know how to prepare for the day before I even get out of bed, all with one glance of my home screen. But, I understand that by getting up, getting dressed, going downstairs, and going outside I'll get a sense of the current temperature, and then I just have to tune into the news to get the rest of the forecast for the day.... yeah that sounds just as convenient. :P
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Ian

I've had the exact same experience.

I agree Positives for Apple:
-the track pad is actually great
-the battery life on my iPad and MacBookPro are very good
-sleek look

Negatives for Apple:
-way over priced
-I actually don't find the file, document, program organization as practical
-File sharing can also be a problem with Mac users that don't use or convert to Word format which is undoubtedly the most used in the professional/business world.

-recent problems with Mac: We just set up a new printer in the office. With the PCs we were able to download the drivers and software and easily got them connected via wifi. With the Mac we were first prompted/required to do a system update. We then had to go through many more installation steps than the PCs to get it working properly through wifi.

Another recent problem. We use a secure web-based platform to do some of our billing and accounting. With the PCs it was simple connection. With the Macs we are still trouble shooting it and the problem is yet to be resolved.

I could go on and on regarding issues that we experience with the Macs vs PCs.

We currently have an iMac, MacBookPro, and iPad in addition to our PCs.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

-File sharing can also be a problem with Mac users that don't use or convert to Word format which is undoubtedly the most used in the professional/business world.

I've never seen a Billy-ware binary that could not be opened with LibreOffice on a Mac.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.