theonlyski

Rough year for lawn mowers

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2013/7/22/two_toddlers_recover.html

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2013/7/22/man_dies_after_drivi.html

That's 3 children severely injured and one adult dead.:|

What the hell is going on this year?

ETA: https://www.change.org/petitions/us-government-and-lawn-mower-companies-enact-stricter-regulations-on-lawn-mowers

They have a petition for stricter regulations on lawn mowers... Maybe we need to start using foam noodles to cut grass.:S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Stricter regulations on lawn mowers won't do shit, people need to exercise common sense, basic safety precautions and also take responsibility for their actions and be accountable for their actions,,,,,,all of which seems to be on the decline.

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

skydiver604

Stricter regulations on lawn mowers won't do shit, people need to exercise common sense, basic safety precautions and also take responsibility for their actions and be accountable for their actions,,,,,,all of which seems to be on the decline.

Well, over 370 people don't agree with us... they signed the damn petition. :S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

We have 370 potential accidents,,,,how awesome is that?

Actually not a surprise, I worked Health and Safety for a large manufacturing company, the lengths we had to go to installing guards on equipment to make them idiot proof so the trained worker could operate safely and somewhat accident free was just mind boggling.

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

I've spent a good chunk of my career handling - on both defense and plaintiff's sides - product liability/injury claims involving machinery, including lawnmowers. Sometimes the accidents can be prevented (or their severity reduced) mainly with better safety design (really!), sometimes they're mainly the result of operator error and/or carelessness, and sometimes the cause is a combination of both.

Both as a lawyer and as a "suburban kid" (and now a suburban dad) who's now over 50, I'm very aware of how mowers and lawn tractors used to be designed, and what safety features are now included that didn't exist, say, 40 years ago. Even hedge clippers are safer now, having "dead hand" switches and a shield/guard between the grip and the blades. They're all still very serious machinery, but safety features have made them measurably safer than they used to be.

The accidents linked in the OP both seem to me to be cases almost entirely of operator error. And the drowning case really isn't a "lawnmower" case per se, for that matter.

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/lawn-mower-accidents-on-the-rise-in-st-louis-region/article_6944d498-5f30-50ad-baaa-c078160711f7.html

Nationally, more than 25,000 people are injured and 75 are killed each year in lawn mower and garden tractor accidents. Lawn mowers send nearly 10,000 children to hospitals each year, and cause about 15 deaths.

Most of the injuries among children occur when a child falls off a riding mower or runs in front of a push mower. For adults, it’s slipping and catching a foot under the mower, or backing up and over the toes.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

JohnMitchell

Rough year for lawn mowers

Rough year for stupid lawn mower operators.

It's a lot like doing up your chest strap. There are times when you just need to PAY ATTENTION. :S

Agreed! It's also like one or more features (take your pick) that genuinely make sport skydiving gear safer today than sport gear was, say, 35-40 years ago. In each case, a system is an integrated whole comprised mainly of both equipment and operator. Each needs to be as safe as possible.

skydiver604

Yep. Can't argue with that.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

NorrinRadd

***Stricter regulations on lawn mowers won't do shit, people need to exercise common sense, basic safety precautions and also take responsibility for their actions and be accountable for their actions,,,,,,all of which seems to be on the decline.

Sorry, but as a blanket statement, it's partly correct, partly deficient and partly pure speculation. Please see my posts #s 6 & 12.

Andy9o8

******Stricter regulations on lawn mowers won't do shit, people need to exercise common sense, basic safety precautions and also take responsibility for their actions and be accountable for their actions,,,,,,all of which seems to be on the decline.

Sorry, but as a blanket statement, it's partly correct, partly deficient and partly pure speculation. Please see my posts #s 6 & 12.
They are well written.. great points. But, I still can't argue with what he said.

NorrinRadd

*********Stricter regulations on lawn mowers won't do shit, people need to exercise common sense, basic safety precautions and also take responsibility for their actions and be accountable for their actions,,,,,,all of which seems to be on the decline.

They are well written.. great points. But, I still can't argue with what he said.

I don't argue with "people need to exercise common sense, basic safety precautions and also take responsibility for their actions and be accountable for their actions". I do argue w/the other 2 points. ;)

normiss

I see a lot of equipment "repaired" when a switch or interlock fails.
It's typically eliminated.
:ph34r:
geniuses.

Dude, read some of the comments on the petition!

Merrill Roe Jr. HAINES CITY, FL

Too Many Sencless Injuries To Small Children.

Need To Possibly Install Some Sort Of Back Up Sensor That When The Mower Comes In Contact With Something Or Someone, It Cuts Power To The Engine.

Carmen Tate VALRICO, FL

I am a pediatric nurse caring for injured children. We have safety features on our garage doors, why not our lawn mowers as well?

Jose Fiallo BRANDON, FL

Anyy laws helping to prevent our kids and families going through the same as the families of previous lawn more accidents.

anne swallow PALM HARBOR, FL

Lawn mower blades should stop as the garage door opener or a cast cutter does with an auto stop when anything solid is caught.

Laura Albrecht NEW PORT RICHEY, FL

children are a terrible thing to run over, the blades should have some kind of kill switch/guard on them

:S:S

Andy9o8

************Stricter regulations on lawn mowers won't do shit, people need to exercise common sense, basic safety precautions and also take responsibility for their actions and be accountable for their actions,,,,,,all of which seems to be on the decline.

I don't argue with "people need to exercise common sense, basic safety precautions and also take responsibility for their actions and be accountable for their actions". I do argue w/the other 2 points. ;)
Awesome! :D Thanks for bringing it up!

There are some that are made by someone with more than a brain cell to spare... problem is, they still signed the petition.

Suzanne Abrams DOVER, FL

yes we need stricter policies on IDIOTS RIDING LAWNMOWERS

:D

Hi Robert,

a cast cutter does with an auto stop when anything solid is caught.

What???? The last time I had a cast cut off, I really looked at how it operated ( I am a Mech. Engr after all ). It was an oscillating blade, not a rotating blade.

And since when is skin '. . . anything solid . . . ?'

:S

JerryBaumchen

So I understand that most (all) equipment comes with an informative guide on operations. I usually (always) read that guide from cover to cover.
I operate things like mowers, riding and push, trimmers, weedwackers and such, and my clients ask me questions like, "I put grass seed on this wall, and I know that it is twelve feet tall and straight up and down, but would you mow it for me?" DUH!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]