airtwardo

just now ~ 777 crash @ SFO

AggieDave

***60+ passengers still unaccounted for. :(

It is still less people than are killed daily on the roads of the US!

Yet no one cares for traffic safety.[:/]

pertaining to this:

Why do some police never seem to pull people over for not using signals, following too closely, etc – even if it's happening right in front of 'em?
cavete terrae.

grue

******60+ passengers still unaccounted for. :(

pertaining to this:

Why do some police never seem to pull people over for not using signals, following too closely, etc – even if it's happening right in front of 'em?

Some cops answer calls, some do traffic safety, some do other stuff. In my city there are about 90,000 people if you count the undocumented estimates, there are 4 traffic safety officers and about 8 others answering calls. Can't be every where at once.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

NOTAMs:

SFO 06/005 (KSFO A1056/13) SFO NAV ILS RWY 28L GP OTS WEF 1306011400-1308222359
SFO 07/046 (KSFO A1326/13) SFO RWY 28L PAPI OTS WEF 1307062219
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I flew in the jumpseat into SFO last week and landed on that runway. The NOTAM was printed on the ATIS report that the glideslope was out of service but it didn't matter since it was clear. Shouldn't have mattered today either. Cool approach to fly in to.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

ryoder

NOTAMs:

We had the same thing a few weeks ago at MMV (McMinnville, OR). Plane landed short and took out the ILS.

Damn shame about today's crash. I'm glad most survived and I worry for the critically injured. [:/]

Is this the way police should be treating the victims of an airliner crash just for speaking to the press? I've heard several other cellphone interviews with those who were onboard so why are they so heavy handed with this kid?

note: this is not meant to fuel the tin foil hat brigade ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/video/crash-not-cause-engine-failure-094610367.html

-

"Stabilized approaches have long been a safety concern for the aviation community," NTSB Chairman Deborah Hersman told CNN on Sunday, saying they represent a significant threat. "We see a lot of runway crashes."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/07/us/plane-crash-main/index.html

whats stabilized approach?

sky12345

"
whats stabilized approach?

It's an approach with a usually 5 mile final or more so that the pilots can set the trim and power to have a stabilized, constant descent rate and speed, leading to a smooth, on target landing.

Because jet engines have a lag time between pushing the throttles up to getting the additional thrust needed (the turbines take time to "spool up" in RPM's), the FAA has been recommending this practice for years for turbojets. Prop airplanes, with their quicker throttle response, are not as susceptible to this type of accident.

Back when I was a controller I would vector jets, even in good weather, for a 3-5 mile final unless the pilot requested otherwise.

Opie

Is this the way police should be treating the victims of an airliner crash just for speaking to the press? I've heard several other cellphone interviews with those who were onboard so why are they so heavy handed with this kid?

Immigration control? Here the folks are supposed to go thru customs and immigration control yet they're mixing with the media folks. At least he didn't get tazed, Bro. :D

JohnMitchell

***NOTAMs:

We had the same thing a few weeks ago at MMV (McMinnville, OR). Plane landed short and took out the ILS.

Damn shame about today's crash. I'm glad most survived and I worry for the critically injured. [:/]

As I read that first NOTAM, the GP has been offline since June 1 at 1400Z.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

AggieDave

***60+ passengers still unaccounted for. :(

I care about traffic safety, and the link with proper law enforcement! Generally everytime I point this out many rush to the point that we spend millions on road signs and other things that don't amount to a pile of crap >:(

Same number of people got wacked at 911 as at pearl harbor...we spend billions and billions getten revenge, but the bottom line is 70,000 people, many in CA get whacked on our highways each year and or that's ok though :S

We should do what we did in Vietnam and allow the media full acess and not that Desert drizzil shit, full fucking access cause the same number of kids got whacked as do each year in this country!

perhaps we should start leaving the wrecks where they crash for all to see??

C

Most likely this dick pilot pulled the:

"cancel services,...field in sight," so that he could pull a 25 degree turn and impress his copilot! happens more often than you think. (Considering the fact that the Bay area is under SVFR most of the time.)
C

When I first post'd this I was making a WAG about the ILS procedures. This is standard procedure at most every airport in the world.... "cleared for the visual," is the phrase heard hundreds of times cause every commercial aircraft is basically under IFR rules, EVEN IN BLUE SKIES, until they are on the ground...

My spy in the sky tells me that there is a bit of an issue with this flight because someone is sayin that the plane did in fact say they had the visual but now the Port Authourity is sayin that the ILS was down, and there was a notam about this! Which is bull shit cause it's approach controls responsibility to fan in the arrivials before ground gets the aircraft...

It is so common to ride the ils that this is in fact standard procedure, but it appears that airport personell and not the FAA might have mad a major fuck up here????

I guess we will have to wait till this hits the fan so to speak!!!!

I am really concerned that the local media gets so called aviation experts to say their WAGs about visual approaches before the fire is even out???? This is supoosedly the same group that is behind Gerado and all of that very excellent and factual reporting!
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

normiss

Looks to me that he stalled that bitch.

u r right sir. now the question is he stalled that bitch because he had some technical problem (eg stalled engine) or because "Asoh fuck up". in either case looks like he tried to avoid hitting the seawall nose first by pulling the stick

regardless of the reason that stall might have saved 300+ lives

sky12345

u r right sir. now the question is he stalled that bitch because he had some technical problem (eg stalled engine) or because "Asoh fuck up". in either case looks like he tried to avoid hitting the seawall nose first by pulling the stick

regardless of the reason that stall might have saved 300+ lives

I just learned about that yesterday.:ph34r:
At least in the case of JAL Flt 2, they were able to re-use the airplane, (after some work).

The normal response to a stall warning is to increase speed to recover control.

Uh . . . LOWER THE FUCKING NOSE (and increase throttle). If you're too low to lower the nose to recover from a stall, you're already fucked and have been for quite some time.

What is pretty clear by looking at the video and hearing about the low airspeed prior to impact is that the aircraft was not being flown according to the numbers.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I can't figure out how professional pilots managed to get into the situation of:
- Too short.
- Too slow.
- Both engines idling.
:S

ryoder

I can't figure out how professional pilots managed to get into the situation of:
- Too short.
- Too slow.
- Both engines idling.
:S

Will be very interesting to see who was the "pilot flying" and how much time in type he had. Voice recorder is going to be interesting as well as the readouts from the TCAS. Going to love hearing the challenge/response of the "pilot not flying."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver