longtall

checking rig as baggage

melathechamp

Mirage G4 (M7?) with a spectre 210 and a PDR 218, so yeah, it's large.

My travel insurance will cover about half of it, but it is capped at roughly $2500. If I want to raise that amount to $5000 it will be an extra 400-500 bucks in insurance, which is ridiculous, and probably not worth it?

Regarding your point #4, wouldn't that just encourage them to open it?

And I am connecting in New York, that's where I believe the trouble might happen. The security checks in the US cannot compare to Norway.

Thanks for your reply!:)

you dont I sure the WHOLE rig as one unit you insure EACH piece for the max value I.e.$2500 each
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

***Mirage G4 (M7?) with a spectre 210 and a PDR 218, so yeah, it's large.

My travel insurance will cover about half of it, but it is capped at roughly $2500. If I want to raise that amount to $5000 it will be an extra 400-500 bucks in insurance, which is ridiculous, and probably not worth it?

Regarding your point #4, wouldn't that just encourage them to open it?

And I am connecting in New York, that's where I believe the trouble might happen. The security checks in the US cannot compare to Norway.

Thanks for your reply!:)

you dont I sure the WHOLE rig as one unit you insure EACH piece for the max value I.e.$2500 each

That's an interesting (almost lawyerly!) idea. You'd have to be sure to individually "schedule" each separately-insured component, much like you'd individually schedule, say, separate pieces of jewelry under a homeowner's policy.

That said, be mindful that insurance companies' claims departments exist not so much to pay claims as to minimize (or even avoid) payments as much as possible. So if your rig is stolen or damaged while assembled into a single (i.e., jumpable) unit, don't be surprised if the ins co's claims department tries to leverage that fact to their advantage. (In this specific context, it might be advantageous for the policy-holder to own more than one rig, so he can rebut the ins co's "single unit" angle by saying, if necessary, that that he switches-out the individual components all the time, etc. Come to think of it, that might also help you insure the components separately in the first place.)

My insurance works in a way that total travel goods is insured by a total amount of $5000. However, "valuable items" (don't know the correct translation), which include sports equipment, phones and computers (basically anything other than clothes) are limited to $2500ish in total.

However, I will look into a separate insurance for my rig.

melathechamp

My insurance works in a way that total travel goods is insured by a total amount of $5000. However, "valuable items" (don't know the correct translation), which include sports equipment, phones and computers (basically anything other than clothes) are limited to $2500ish in total.

Just FYI for folks - in that particular scenario, that would pretty much nullify the angle we discussed in posts #'s 27 & 28.

Slightly other topic (not a direct reply to you Andy)

What I was most worried about is them opening my bag, but as far as I know I must be present, which is good.

But if they demand opening both the main and reserve, that would be pretty annoying. Then I would have canopies all over the place, and only be able to pack one of them. Does this happen? Is the chance of that happening higher or lower with checked in luggage vs carry on?

If yours is such a big rig, have you considered renting the same or a similar rig whilst abroad?

Call the DZ and find out what your options are - it might be cheaper than getting yours insured, plus the added cost of checking in luggage, et cetera. It would also lighten your load...

Just a thought.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I was most worried about is them opening my bag, but as far as I know I must be present, which is good.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that, at least in the US, the TSA pretty routinely opens/inspects checked-in luggage outside the owners' presence.

Andy9o8

I was most worried about is them opening my bag, but as far as I know I must be present, which is good.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that, at least in the US, the TSA pretty routinely opens/inspects checked-in luggage outside the owners' presence.

If it's a parachute they're "supposed" to page the owner and if they don't find him it doesn't go on the plane. How often they actually stick to their own rules? Anybody's guess.
cavete terrae.

That is what I have read as well. But as you point out, who knows what they are doing...

My plan is to print out a note that says (thanks Squeak):

"THIS IS A LIFE SAVING DEVICE"
Please have me present for any physical inspection.
Mela T Champ
555-5416-5423
25 skydive way
Oslo Norway.

I will also print out the cypres x-ray card, and put it all on top of my rig, so that is the first thing they see when they open it. Lastly, I will be at the gate and listen carefully if they call my name (no listening to music!).

I guess that is the best way to go...

I am also considering telling the check-in crew in Norway that there is a rig in my bag, and that all is perfectly legal (show them the papers if necessary). Then ask if they can put a sticker or something on it that says what it is and that it is checked. Any views on that?

Sorry about all the detailed questions, but I must say I'm terrified about travelling with my rig:o

don’t know about worldwide but we have a system here where you can ask the folks handling luggage to personally pick it up and drop it off at the destination. I had a valuable family sword that i wanted transported that way. A baggage handler picked it up directly from me loaded it at the plane, then on arrival another one unloaded it and brought it directly to me.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

don’t know about worldwide but we have a system here where you can ask the folks handling luggage to personally pick it up and drop it off at the destination. I had a valuable family sword that i wanted transported that way. A baggage handler picked it up directly from me loaded it at the plane, then on arrival another one unloaded it and brought it directly to me.

and then you beheaded him with it and screamed "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!"
cavete terrae.

grue

***don’t know about worldwide but we have a system here where you can ask the folks handling luggage to personally pick it up and drop it off at the destination. I had a valuable family sword that i wanted transported that way. A baggage handler picked it up directly from me loaded it at the plane, then on arrival another one unloaded it and brought it directly to me.

and then you beheaded him with it and screamed "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!" Im Connor McSqueak, There can be only one:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

melathechamp

Mirage G4 (M7?) with a spectre 210 and a PDR 218, so yeah, it's large.

(....)

True. It's worth noting that you need to reclaim your baggage to clear the customs/immigration in New York even if you have connecting flight from there. You'll then check your bags again for the connecting flight.

I don't usually check my rig when I leave for skydiving trip (I'd hate to reach the destination without a rig) but do check it when I return.

Squeak

******don’t know about worldwide but we have a system here where you can ask the folks handling luggage to personally pick it up and drop it off at the destination. I had a valuable family sword that i wanted transported that way. A baggage handler picked it up directly from me loaded it at the plane, then on arrival another one unloaded it and brought it directly to me.

and then you beheaded him with it and screamed "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!" Im Connor McSqueak, There can be only one:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

A challenger appears.
cavete terrae.

Thanks, I have read through those and they pretty much say the same thing.

A few questions pops (got it?:P) up though:

1: "Depending on the size of the airport and passenger volume, it is likely that the checked rig will be screened within 30 minutes. Remain in the area of the airline ticket counter and pay close attention to airport announcements for up to 30 minutes after you check in."

Does that mean I should hang around where i check in (that is, before going through security)? I had an impression I should be at the gate...

2: "Pack the rig separately without any other items in the bag. Additional items, if suspicious, could trigger an inspection of the entire bag."

Does that include clothes etc.? I was planning to pack some clothes with my rig, as I am bringing quite a lot of stuff with me (away for half a year). The other skydiving stuff I will either put in the other bag or carry on.

3: As huge pointed out, I have to reclaim my baggage and check it in again in NY. Any advantage/disadvantage of telling them whats inside when I check in?

Thanks again for the replies, you guys are greatB|

huge

True. It's worth noting that you need to reclaim your baggage to clear the customs/immigration in New York even if you have connecting flight from there. You'll then check your bags again for the connecting flight.

To be a bit more specific -- your luggage will be checked through to the final destination. Yes, you will pull it from baggage claim upon arrival in New York. You will then proceed through Customs, where you (presumably) will have nothing to declare. If Customs officials randomly select you for an import seach, you're right there with your bags the whole time.

Once you past Customs, you'll take your luggage through passport control, hand them the customs delcaration and your passport, and answer their questions about your stay. As soon as you pass that checkpoint, your luggage gets dropped off to the baggage handlers about 20m away, where it will likely go directly to your next flight.

They may randomly open your luggage for cursory search after it leaves your possession. If this happens, you'll see a little TSA flyer in your bag stating as such. If they choose your bag, they will see the documents with your rig that you intend to pack. That should be sufficient to keep them from opening the rig without you present.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

melathechamp

2: "Pack the rig separately without any other items in the bag. Additional items, if suspicious, could trigger an inspection of the entire bag."

Does that include clothes etc.?

YES.

Seriously, the rig looks "odd" enough to anyone who has never seen one before on a scanner. I would put nothing else in the bag - not your helmet, alti, jumpsuit - nothing. But that's just me.

So far I have never had to check in my rig. I have had some minor issues with my rig only once in Nimes (France), when they did a random swab for explosives and they detected something they didn't like (because of the AAD)... I was calm and handed over the X-Ray card and tried to explain and the guy would have none of it. Told me to shut up, sit down over there whilst his superior was called. I politely asked that he not handle the rig until his boss came. Again, the guy was very rude and wouldn't listen, picked up the thing from my legstrap and tossed it aside (glad it wasn't the silver handle!) :S His boss came, immediately recognised it as a rig and there was no problem after that. He even took the time to show the newbie the x-ray screen, pointing out what was normal and what would NOT have looked normal. So I got lucky but I could just have easily been shit out of luck :S:S Come to think of it, I had a problem with my motorcycle helmet at the same airport once (they insisted I check it in "since it could be used as a weapon"... Yeah, really... Talk about random made-up rules!!! :S)

Expect that they will not necessarily follow protocol... Do go on each airport's website that you will be travelling to and print their own policies - sometimes it comes in handy (sometimes not). Personally, I would not draw any unnecessary attention to your bag - just write a note inside like people have said. Leave your full name and phone number. Whatever happens, always try to be calm and speak politely... Things are more likely to work in your favour that way. :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nataly

Come to think of it, I had a problem with my motorcycle helmet at the same airport once (they insisted I check it in "since it could be used as a weapon"... Yeah, really... Talk about random made-up rules!!! :S)

Uh, oh!:o
They are on to you.
See third paragraph: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2381103/Pink-Panther-jewel-thieves-Gang-200-ex-soldiers-struck-world.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.