airtwardo

Input needed from the Biker peeps~

I know this grumpy old fart that's considering riding his Harley from Houston to Oshkosh next week...

Trip is about 1300 miles each way and he says he hasn't done any -long- road trips on a scoot in 25 years! :S

He's one of those candy-ass glory seekin' demo jumpers...says he rode a Super Glide from San Diego to Osh 30 years ago which was the 'first' time he jumped the show there...he's looking at doing a 3 decade later repeat for some dumbass reason. B|

Any input from the bike riders out here on preparations or expectations?

His better half is thinking he may have suffered a stroke and isn't thinking clearly...is she right?

~all comments either way on this are appreciated - I'll pass them along to him! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Ugh.
I just did 220 miles yesterday, up over Trail Ridge Road to Grand Lake and back.
Due to winding roads and traffic, I spent almost 7 hours in the saddle.
I don't even want to think about 1300 miles right now.
Bike was a Kawasaki KLE650 Versys.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

airdvr

No real input other than to agree wholeheartedly with your wife. This is no time for a mid millenium crisis.

You mean "his" wife. Cuz you know, it's 'twardo's friend. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

***No real input other than to agree wholeheartedly with your wife. This is no time for a mid millenium crisis.

Yup! :)

'Cause we ALL know I'm much more level headed & conservative that to try a stunt like THAT! ;)

airtwardo

******No real input other than to agree wholeheartedly with your wife. This is no time for a mid millenium crisis.

'Cause we ALL know I'm much more level headed & conservative that to try a stunt like THAT! ;)

If you're using words like "stunt," you might want to tell your friend you agree with his wife. :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

airtwardo

I know this grumpy old fart that's considering riding his Harley from Houston to Oshkosh next week...

Trip is about 1300 miles each way and he says he hasn't done any -long- road trips on a scoot in 25 years! :S

He's one of those candy-ass glory seekin' demo jumpers...says he rode a Super Glide from San Diego to Osh 30 years ago which was the 'first' time he jumped the show there...he's looking at doing a 3 decade later repeat for some dumbass reason. B|

Any input from the bike riders out here on preparations or expectations?

His better half is thinking he may have suffered a stroke and isn't thinking clearly...is she right?

~all comments either way on this are appreciated - I'll pass them along to him! B|

1. Always plan a route. Have places to stop and chill out. find out if there are biker stops. half the fun is the journey.
2. Always check the weather and plan #1 accordingly.
3. Plan rest stops along the way. Plan at a motel if necessary (whether you pick up some prospect along the journey or if you get tired...i prefer the former).
4. Hydrate and if necessary see #3.
5. I wear under-armor micro-fiber boxer briefs..why? Because a sweaty ass in cotton underwear is so uncomfortable and smelly.
6. Get your bike to a mechanics shop just to make sure it is in the best working condition.

Let's see. It'll be about a 100 out, but that's just the humidity. Full leathers and full face helmet for comfort. Lots of 2 lane roads, full of cats, dogs and chickens. I figure if you took 8 days each way it should be good. Do it.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

oldwomanc6

*********No real input other than to agree wholeheartedly with your wife. This is no time for a mid millenium crisis.

If you're using words like "stunt," you might want to tell your friend you agree with his wife. :P

But, in all seriousness, you aren't getting any younger, and there will come a day where there won't even be any question of "Should I?". Do you want to regret not doing it when there was the opportunity?

If you do go ahead, just don't forget to make shorter days and give yourself more time than you did back then. Don't scrimp on your accommodations. Think comfy bed, massages and hot tub/sauna availability. Both ways (unless you are going to ship your bike one way and take some other transpiration. If so, think which way you would rather ride.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

************No real input other than to agree wholeheartedly with your wife. This is no time for a mid millenium crisis.

But, in all seriousness, you aren't getting any younger, and there will come a day where there won't even be any question of "Should I?". Do you want to regret not doing it when there was the opportunity?

I completely agree here. Make it happen. You may get tired, sore, experience other discomforts. But a life lived behind the prison bars of comfort is no life at all.
Do it!!
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

Hi Jim,

With the 'advantage' of being a few years older than you, I normally would say 'Go for it.'

However, you have a drop dead date in Oshkosh. How will you handle that if:

1. Your keester simply cannot take it.
2. The bike breaks down.
3. You get horny & 'need' to turn back.

Have fun if you go,

jerryBaumchen

Boy, the majority of these posts are very negative toward this prospect...and this from skydivers no less....such negativity!
It's 1300 miles, it's not forever and a day a way.
How did your " friend " feel when he did it 30 years ago?
Did he have fun or at that time say, that was nuts, never again?
Lisa' post is right on with still being able?
It's your, ahem...I mean your friends 30 year anniversary and its something he wants to do. I think he should or forever let it bother him that he didnt.
I think Jerry makes some excellent points which are not negative and should be considered.
Hey if you have the time, leave 5 days early. Do what you can. Worst case scenario u park it and rent a car or fly the rest of the way.
At least then you can say you gave it a valid attempt.
Enjoy!

Gravitymaster

What bike is this old fart going to be riding?

That's my question as well. 1300 miles on a bagger is a "no-big-deal" two day ride for me on my Road Glide. I would not make that trip on my rigid-frame chopper though. I can pack ALL of my shit on my bagger no problem and have ridden it cross country four times to skydiving events. I don't stop and bullshit on road trips. I eat/shit/piss, and buy water/snacks for the next leg at gas stops.

Chuck

SkymonkeyONE

***What bike is this old fart going to be riding?

That's my question as well. 1300 miles on a bagger is a "no-big-deal" two day ride for me on my Road Glide. I would not make that trip on my rigid-frame chopper though. I can pack ALL of my shit on my bagger no problem and have ridden it cross country four times to skydiving events. I don't stop and bullshit on road trips. I eat/shit/piss, and buy water/snacks for the next leg at gas stops.

Chuck

That's what I'm thinking. I just bought a new Street Glide and I really don't think it would be a problem on a Cruiser. Traded in my Fatboy but I would have made it with no problem on it either.

Just don't overdo it. Wear plenty of sunscreen, stop every few hours and hydrate and stretch. Get a good nights sleep and eat right and things should be fine.

SkymonkeyONE

***What bike is this old fart going to be riding?

Chuck

IF it comes about...

It would be on a 2005 Fatboy - stone stock, doesn't even have hwy pegs...so it's a softail with all the vibration no rubber mounts allows for. It's got 10,000 miles on it and is going in tomorrow for the 10k 'tune up'.

If I chose to do so....I'd probably leave Monday next with the 'absolute' deadline of Thursday night...Friday morning briefing at 10am.

I have a buddy flying up so I can stow my gear with him and not have to strap it down...that's a plus.

I do appreciate the input...B|

Might be a moot point, father-in-law is having some serious health issues and we're running back & forth to LA every few days - off again tomorrow...so we'll see what happens.

Worse case is I ride for a while and bust my bucket and figure it's a bad deal...I can fly the rest of the way up or rent a cage and meow my way the rest of the route in...:|

JerryBaumchen

However, you have a drop dead date in Oshkosh.

I don't think it's good luck to refer to a scheduled demo jump as a "drop dead date".[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Bring beer money.
Bail money too.

I always have a flat tire kit, a belt repair kit, and some hand tools as well.

Avoid the interstates. Miserable experience on a bike, and stopping occasionally on the smaller roads really helps the legs and back.

If you have a factory seat, your ass will hurt.

Be safe, take your time, have fun.
B|
Call the wife on stops. ;)

Take the obligatory pics to post on Fuckedupbook to PISS ME OFF CAUSE I CAN'T MAKE IT THIS YEAR.

god dammit.

:D

normiss

I always have a flat tire kit...

Speaking of that, do you have any kits you recommend?
I've been reading mixed reviews on them.

ryoder

I've heard the American Express Platinum tire kit / problem solver works about the best...light weight, small...easy to use! ;)

airtwardo

I've heard the American Express Platinum tire kit / problem solver works about the best...light weight, small...easy to use! ;)

Yeah, that'll work really well when I'm up in the mountains, with no cellphone coverage.:P

2 words for your elderly brethren

SHEEP SKIN

Oh and a couple more words
Ibuprofen.
Voltaren :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

oh and THROTTLE LOCK (Cruise control)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?