alain

Wings owners or Riggers: help on wings order

I've allready found a lot of stuff in this forum but I still have one question pending...

my concerns are
1 safety
2 durability
3 price
4 re-sale value
look and fashion are not a concern

options I've allready chosen are:

hip articulated harness
standart backpack (not quilted)
standart hardware (no stainless or deluxe)
large ring type 8 22" risers with inserts
type 8 chest strap
no cut-in laterals
cardura BOC
freestyle handle
collapsible ZP PC
wingsuit friendly options (9' bridle & opened bottom container)

can someone explain what are the
thread-thru and B-12 leg starp hardware ? pro and con of those ?

any comments on my choices are welcome :)

Virtually evenyone has thread-through leg straps these days. I bet they're what you are jumping now.

B-12 snaps are those clip together leg straps you get on some student rigs or on very old rigs. They are very uncommon on modern rigs.

I probably don't need to answer the rest of your questions if you know what B-12's are... I bet you don't want them.

I think you are missing the 2 important and excellent designs of the wings........that is the cut in laterals, they may even be free this month, i dont know. and the quited backpad, add extra comfort.
The but in laterals are an excellent feature, i do not know about flying it with a birdman suit though. thread through is good but i am thinking that b-12 is like a hooh snap on, i am not sure though.
Cut in laterals though and backpad, they offer something free every month so check there web site.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I think you are missing the 2 important and excellent designs of the wings........that is the cut in laterals, they may even be free this month

They were free last month. This month is lots of free pinstripe options. I think a lot of people jumped on the free laterals late - the wait time went from 4-5 weeks in early october when I ordered mine up to 8-9 weeks now.

I noticed swooping in your profile. You should strongly consider stainless steel for your hardware if you are going to be pond swooping or if you are jumping in a moist environment. The cadmium wears off of the hardware in time and it is susceptable to corrosion if moisture often present.

-Jon
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

I noticed swooping in your profile. You should strongly consider stainless steel for your hardware if you are going to be pond swooping or if you are jumping in a moist environment. The cadmium wears off of the hardware in time and it is susceptable to corrosion if moisture often present.

-Jon

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Stainless steel hardware definitely improves resale value.

And if wingsuit sales continue as we hope, the 9 foot bridle will also improve resale value.

However, I would not worry too much about resale value, as parachutes depreciate rapidly in the first year, then hold their value for 5-8 years before falling out of fashion.

Cut in laterals are great on rigs if you have the right body type. I like them (and have them on both rigs), but I absolutely don't need them because my rigs are so tiny and they are a bit of a nuisance with wingsuit fitting. Still, cut in laterals really do make your rig stick to your body and that is generally a good thing. Also, like someone else said, stainless not only holds up better, it has better resale value.

Just for reference, cut-in laterals have been known to bruise kidneys because of how they push into the sides of your back. Not that I have more experience then all the guys here, but my rig is moderate size (holds a 150) without cut-in laterals and my rig fits great.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

can you show me references to what you are saying or links to where you have read about cut in laterals bruising kidneys? it sound to me that if this could happen that people did not have their rig on properly.
I would like to read more on this as i have never heard it and have read up a lot about wings containers.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

4 re-sale value
look and fashion are not a concern

Which many times go hand in hand.

options I've allready chosen are:

hip articulated harness
standart backpack (not quilted)
standart hardware (no stainless or deluxe)
large ring type 8 22" risers with inserts
type 8 chest strap
no cut-in laterals
cardura BOC
freestyle handle
collapsible ZP PC
wingsuit friendly options (9' bridle & opened bottom container)

I would not buy a rig with the large rings, personally, but for larger jumpers I hear they are a good idea. I pull my slider down and it sounds like it'd be a project with the larger webbing on the risers. I have heard some people say that the backpad doesn't make a difference, others argue that it does. I think it'd be nice to really try both before dishing out the $$, but if it truly is more comfy, i'd definitely get it! I also opted for SS on my new rig. Although my other non-stainless rig doesn't have any problem, I have seen some pix that made me choose ss... better safe than sorry on a new rig.

Angela.

I would not buy a rig with the large rings, personally

Well, you can always put mini-risers on a rig setup for large rings, but you can't do the opposite. So all in all its not a bad choice really.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I would not buy a rig with the large rings, personally

Well, you can always put mini-risers on a rig setup for large rings, but you can't do the opposite. So all in all its not a bad choice really.:)

That'd look funny, tho... and it's all about looking good;) hehe.

Seriously, I hadn't thought about that, good call.

-A

Just for reference, cut-in laterals have been known to bruise kidneys because of how they push into the sides of your back. Not that I have more experience then all the guys here, but my rig is moderate size (holds a 150) without cut-in laterals and my rig fits great.

OK, I shall jump in here and try to make a general point without pimping the Wings too hard, although that is really my job.

The cut-in laterals on the Wings are VERY unlikely to bruise you, because they are attached to the hip ring, and so can allow the harness to articulate upwards around that point. This translates to very small movements, if any at all, on the cut-in lateral.

Other cut-in laterals are generally sewn directly to the main lift web, so any sudden upwards movement on the main lift web is carried into the lateral webbing, and may cause it to rise up your back.

In the case of an improperly sized or fitted harness, this movement could causing bruising if the opening were hard enough to move that lateral quickly. Obviously, correct sizing and packing reduces this risk.

I have them on both my rigs and really like them.

YMMV etc.