NorrinRadd

Firefighting

It occurs to me that there just may be some fire-fighters in this group. I myself am planning to take a pre-service fire-fighting course this fall at my local community college. It is a government endorsed program.
I would like to know if any of you fire-fighters can offer me any words of advice on nailing a job (once I have finished the course). I am very fit, aside from a well-healing lower back issue. I am also 44 years old.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

Don't firefighters retire pretty young? Something like 55 years old? Don't quote me on that as maybe they retire at different ages depending on where they are located. But even if you are in shape, 44 years old might be a little old to be hired only to be planning a forced retirement soon after.

Nevertheless, Jose is a firefighter from the Pacific Northwest. Not sure how much he logs on to DZ.COM any more, but you can always try to send him a PM.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

NorrinRadd

It occurs to me that there just may be some fire-fighters in this group. I myself am planning to take a pre-service fire-fighting course this fall at my local community college. It is a government endorsed program.
I would like to know if any of you fire-fighters can offer me any words of advice on nailing a job (once I have finished the course). I am very fit, aside from a well-healing lower back issue. I am also 44 years old.

Alot of FF jobs have strict age requirements. You can take age off that requirement with military service but that would be one of the few exceptions. In the NE, where unions are strong, i would say there is little opportunity for someone your age to get on with a paid department.

If you can get your FF 1 and 2 and willing to travel, there might be opportunities abroad. Contractors in the middle east seem to run alot of adds. Mcmurdo Station is always hiring.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

What ever you do, don't ever join a Volunteer Fire Department, you'll hate it. Bad enough you risk your life and carry 100 lbs of equipment, and suck down oxygen, but your doing all of it for free. It felt good to give something back to the community, but it was a lot of hard work.

Best-
Richard

rwieder

What ever you do, don't ever join a Volunteer Fire Department, you'll hate it. Bad enough you risk your life and carry 100 lbs of equipment, and suck down oxygen, but your doing all of it for free. It felt good to give something back to the community, but it was a lot of hard work.

Best-
Richard

There are many areas, mine included, that depend on volunteers, and I give thanks for them on a regular basis. I make it a point to buy my Christmas trees from them, donate to their car washes, and stuff their boots with money when I encounter them. :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

There are many areas, mine included, that depend on volunteers, and I give thanks for them on a regular basis. I make it a point to buy my Christmas trees from them, donate to their car washes, and stuff their boots with money when I encounter them. :)

Please move to Giddings, Texas and become one of our citizens!! And bring all of your friends with you! :)
Best-
Richard

rwieder

Best-
Richard

The vast majority of firefighters worldwide are volunteers. Civil societies would be in peril if people followed your advice. I am a third generation and agree it is far more work than many imagine. My state does not cut corners between paid and volunteers for safety reasons. Most people in my community do not realize many of us are not paid and the amount of work we put into it and im fine with it. I do it to help my community and hope they never seen a decline in service because some of us arent paid.

My dad told me he did it because he was fit and capable and someone had too. a simple, modest answer from a good man. i respected and admired him for it. he told me he hoped i would someday follow his example and i have. I hope people ignore your advice and listen to men like my late father.

oh and for the record, its compressed air not oxygen. maybe you would have enjoyed it more if you were better trained and knowledgeable. (i say with a smile)
John Frusciante

weekender

Best-
Richard

The vast majority of firefighters worldwide are volunteers. Civil societies would be in peril if people followed your advice. I am a third generation and agree it is far more work than many imagine. My state does not cut corners between paid and volunteers for safety reasons. Most people in my community do not realize many of us are not paid and the amount of work we put into it and im fine with it. I do it to help my community and hope they never seen a decline in service because some of us arent paid.

My dad told me he did it because he was fit and capable and someone had too. a simple, modest answer from a good man. i respected and admired him for it. he told me he hoped i would someday follow his example and i have. I hope people ignore your advice and listen to men like my late father.

oh and for the record, its compressed air not oxygen. maybe you would have enjoyed it more if you were better trained and knowledgeable. (i say with a smile)

I have been told that doing volunteer work would look good on me when I finally do apply to a local service. Would you say this is true?
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

I cannot give a good answer about that. i honestly feel its all local. some places, like where i live, volunteer depts are part of the culture and most paid guys are also volunteers. so yes, it helps alot with contacts and interviews. your volunteer capt might be the paid LT in the next town.

But some places look down on volunteers. There are a lot of wanna be's on the volunteer side. My town boarders two cities that are paid and we provide mutual aid to them. as long as we do our job in a professional way they treat us with respect. many areas do not have good relationships with the paid guys though. I know in many parts of the country volunteers are far less trained and respected. so i think it all depends on where you are and what your training is. sorry for the cop out but i cant give an honest clear answer because its not so simple.

Having fire 1 and 2 will always help your application for sure. how much i cannot say depending where you volunteer and apply. again though, over 40 just seems way too old based on union pension rules that dominate the industry.
John Frusciante

NorrinRadd

Afternoon NorrinRadd,

I am a captain with a fire department in California. Instead of taking fire science classes take EMT and paramedic classes, the majority of departments now have no use for single role firefighters when they can get paramedics that are dual role for the same price (more bang for their buck). Also, back issues are not good, and may disqualify you. As far as the testing process goes, just be honest, back ground checks are a huge part of the testing process and they will dig up everything that could hurt you, thus why you might as well tell them. If they offer study material for their test buy them, they tests are not universal anymore and may be specific to their materials. If there are not suggested study materials, there are many books available on fire service testing, just google them.

Good Luck!!

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Feeblemind

***It occurs to me that there just may be some fire-fighters in this group. I myself am planning to take a pre-service fire-fighting course this fall at my local community college. It is a government endorsed program.

Afternoon NorrinRadd,

I am a captain with a fire department in California. Instead of taking fire science classes take EMT and paramedic classes, the majority of departments now have no use for single role firefighters when they can get paramedics that are dual role for the same price (more bang for their buck). Also, back issues are not good, and may disqualify you. As far as the testing process goes, just be honest, back ground checks are a huge part of the testing process and they will dig up everything that could hurt you, thus why you might as well tell them. If they offer study material for their test buy them, they tests are not universal anymore and may be specific to their materials. If there are not suggested study materials, there are many books available on fire service testing, just google them.

Good Luck!!

also, if you smoke it's a disqualification. From my understanding you have to take a polygraph test too, right?

44 is a bit old, but we hired a couple of guys that age.
Stop in where you live and speak with the guys. They will steer you in the right direction, as most FD's have their own ideas of who they want to hire. And they will help out when you get to the interview process.

signed,
retired at 50 years old after 31 years on the job.B|

Think again. Firefighting is a young mans job. You're not going to be a young man that much longer. Also, depending on where you apply, you'll run into age ceilings, discriminatory physicals and all kinds of age related glass ceilings. I was a firefighter for 26 years. I can't imagine getting in at the age of 44 when I got out at age 46.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

grimmie

44 is a bit old, but we hired a couple of guys that age.
Stop in where you live and speak with the guys. They will steer you in the right direction, as most FD's have their own ideas of who they want to hire. And they will help out when you get to the interview process.

signed,
retired at 50 years old after 31 years on the job.B|

Hey Rich-----

What he needs to consider is that he will be competing with men half his age, several with at least a 2 year degree in Fire Science and put themselves through a Paramedic course.

With the present economic climate in most government agencies there are precious few entry positions available. In fact most are reducing the size of their depts. by on filling vacancies due to retirement.

Sparky
Retired at 52 after 30 years……. ;)

It can beat you up pretty bad but loved it.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Shield.jpg
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Here where I live, it's all volunteer. In the County, we have 4 volunteer fire depts. The majority of firefighters are over 50. We have several volunteer firefighters over 65! They do a helluva job, too. Two of our firefighters, both over 65, recently completed a tough EMS course. They all have wildfire fighting experience and we couldn't do without them. They all get in there and fight fires with the best of them. That shows me, it's the individual person and not necessarily age.

Chuck