helldog

Icon vs. Mirage G4

I just ordered a mirage G-4. the only thing I can see as far as pros and cons are looks. but as far as wait time, I put an order on the 25th of oct and they quoted me about 14 of december. about two weeks less than their 8 week quotes. It might be because of the Holidays though. Their customer service is excellent and they always call you back.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I can second that with Mirage. I put an order in on the 16th of Oct and I just got my G-3 yesterday, so a 4 week delivery on that was great. They kept us up to date on everything. Awesome service. I really do not see any cons to the Mirage G-3 or G-4 other than a difference in looks. They are both quality containers. As far as an Icon goes I have no knowledge of it.

I'm looking at buying an Icon.

1) The Icon has a new 3-ring design. Pro: theoritically should reduce cuttaway force. Con: New technology is inheriently unproven.

2) The Icon comes standard with an elastic strap between the legstraps. Pro: Good for sitflying - most freflyers add one on their own. Con: Bad for wingsuits. Wingsuit pilots need to remove it before putting on the suit.

3) The Icon comes standard with the articulated harness. Mirage charges extra.

Someone else can comment on the design of their reserve deployment system.

Otherwise, the key characteristics are that it appears to be a very thorough design that's currently priced very aggresively. Sounds like a no-brainer to me!

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

1) The 3-ring will in fact reduce cutaway force. The mechanics of it prove such. It basically allows one to have mini-rings while still having the low cutaway force of standard rings.

3) (Warning personal opinion) Fully Articulate harnesses are only really necessary for rounded people. Hip rings are certainly nice, but chest rings aren't necessary when the chest strap does not have to go out around ones chest considerably.

Personally, I think you should compare the G3 instead of the G4. The primary G4 improvements are cut-in laterals (aka kidney bruisers) and the backpad (only used during that 60 seconds of freefall that you won't even notice; the weight of the rig isn't on your back during either the plane ride or canopy ride).

I personally have a Mirage G3 and love it. The customer serivce at Mirage is second to none. Hit up Justin and he'll hook you up with a real nice rig!

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

Fully Articulate harnesses are only really necessary for rounded people. Hip rings are certainly nice, but chest rings aren't necessary when the chest strap does not have to go out around ones chest considerably.

They are nice, and allow for quite a bit more spread of my risers when I open up the chest strap under canopy.....

primary G4 improvements are cut-in laterals (aka kidney bruisers) and the backpad (only used during that 60 seconds of freefall that you won't even notice; the weight of the rig isn't on your back during either the plane ride or canopy ride).

There is quite a bit more difference to them than that. Some of it is stuff only your rigger will see. Others are the size and shape. The G4.1 I have is far shorter than the same size G3 I've seen.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Hi Jim, both the Icon and Mirage are great rigs in all respects, with many similar and different features on both. Demo both of them and have a good look at the way they are built, comfort and fit, customer service etc.
Talk to local skydivers who own an Icon or Mirage, find out what they think of their gear.
The Icon is pretty damn advanced in terms of it's asthetic and safety features, and does come standard with a number of items that other companies charge extra for. All in all, it's very good value for $$$$, looks great, is supa comfortable, packed with features and as many people now know, comes with a very good back up service from Aerodyne.
Contact Aubrey at Aerodyne research [email protected] and he will get you sorted with a demo.
Blue skies!
AERODYNE SYSTEMS (PTY) Ltd
Dave Macrae - Sports Marketing: Indian Ocean Region
[email protected]
www.aerodyne-int.com

Have you seen the Mirage's reserve pack job with the new SB in effect?

I have seen some pretty ugly ones, also it does seem to create a hazard with the reserve flap sticking out as far as it does. It seems easy to snag...

This is the only con I see on Mirage rigs now.

~G~

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

Can you post a pic of what you mean by snag issue?
I can't see any difference with my G-3.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt