guineapiggie101

Worth upgrading HD on 2010 iMac, or time for a new one??

My 2010 21" iMac has been starting to run slower than normal. Takes a while to load up stuff, etc. Took it into the shop to get it look at. Apparently, I need a new HD since mines was pretty full. They are gonna put in a new 1 TB HD and add more memory (4GB to 8 GB). For all this, they are charging me $355. With this my iMac should run like new. Other than that, my iMac is in good running condition.

Am I paying too much to upgrade an Apple desktop that is over 3 years old???

I can only give a partial answer since I don't own a Mac anymore. But what I would say is that if we were discussing a PC laptop I'd say HELL NO, it's not worth it. A new Windows laptop would run you just a couple hundred bucks more, if you would be happy with a entry -level machine (which I am).

BUT, given that you're talking about a Mac and its much higher buy-in price, I think there could be more consideration given to repair/improvement over just chucking the old unit.

For me the deciding factor would include the opinions of the know-it-alls at the store, Mac owners here and elsewhere, and what is or is not in Apple's development pipeline for release in the next couple years.

Elvisio "I don't use burner phones, I use burner laptops" Rodriguez

Lots of info on doing things yourself on Macs here: http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac

I've used that site to replace a failed optical disk unit on a laptop.

BTW Macs have excellent resale value on eBay. When I got a newer laptop several years ago, I sold the old one for half of what it cost new.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

My iMac is either late 2008 or early 2009 (I can never remember!!)... I recently upgraded the memory card myself - very easy with great instructions found on youtube. Also great instructions on changing the HD but decided instead to clean it up, move files (especially movies) to an external drive. Dirt cheap upgrade and a very noticeable difference in performance. Also, did you recently change your OS? Did you upgrade or reinstall from scratch? Reinstalling from scratch gives a much better performance.

Still very happy with my (old) iMac :)

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss