Nataly

Feeling useless...

It's not that I'm in over my head at work... But sometimes I ask myself "where is my added value?" And I honestly can say that I think I'm totally replaceable. I would so love to know that my contribution *means* something. The more I obsess about it, though, the more I feel guilty for caring too much about my work and not enough about the really important stuff (like friends, family, health, et cetera). And then I feel less focused at work and guilty about that...

I guess you could say I'm in a bit of a rut. [:/]

I think if I had kids, the guilt would literally kill me - it already feels crippling and I actually have very little to really/legitimately feel guilty about!!

That is all for my random ramblings for now. Carry on.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

If you are replaceable, then it means you would need to be replaced. Which means you are doing something that people find valuable.
Also... live your life for yourself, first and foremost. Don't be unkind and selfish, but these are your years.. you gotta fill them with the stuff that you find valuable to yourself.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

Recognising that you're in a rut is the first step in changing.

Now's the time to find a new rut (we're all in them, often more than 1 at a time).....

So wotcha gonna do about it?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Have a chat with your boss or the rest of the team. Your :)
We all have ups and downs.

And anyway... in the grand scheme of things you live in a beautiful part of the world.. if things are getting you down just go for a stroll and enjoy the view... :)

welcome to the world of being an adult. pretty much 99% of the adult working population (my own numbers) is in the same boat. even if you own your business, you could ask yourself, "can i be replaced?" and the answer would be yes. if you are lucky enough to do what you enjoy as a career, as i do now and i am also a business owner, i am under no illusions that i am the only one in my area doing it. even though i now have 3 employees and am in the process of hiring at least 3 more, it still feels like a house of cards.

life is not all about work, family and friends are much more important. if you feel the need to derive satisfaction and self esteem boosts from work, then you need an attitude adjustment. take a vacation and visit friends, or maybe just a camping trip in the woods, they have those everywhere. a little time back to nature always recharges me.

anyway good luck with it. and honestly, my first thought of a reply when i started typing this was, "suck it up and drive on" but those words didn't come out when i started typing. that's how i know i'm right on this one, unless you're deathly afraid of camping...

Unless you are a World Champion in something or world famous for something else, we are all replaceable. Even the World Champions are replaceable by other future World Champions. Some people are obsessed with leaving their mark, others just happen to leave a mark by accident and still others simply don't care. My professional career is not over. But when it is, I will look back knowing that I contributed where I could. But the world would have gone on with or without my contributions and that doesn't bother me. Some people are obsessed with becoming famous and/or the best, but I am not one of those people.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

adamUK

you live in a beautiful part of the world

OMG does Nataly live in Monaco? or close to Monaco? Can I come visit you at the end of May Nataly? Heck you don't even need to be there (not that I wouldn't mind meeting the infamous ex-Canadian Nataly), no she does not have to be there just as long as I can squat at her place for the weekend. I would love to attend the Formula One Monaco Grand Prix but could never get past the ridiculously expensive hotels of Monaco, especially on Grand Prix weekend.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

CanuckInUSA

OMG does Nataly live in Monaco? or close to Monaco? Can I come visit you at the end of May Nataly? Heck you don't even need to be there (not that I wouldn't mind meeting the infamous ex-Canadian Nataly), no she does not have to be there just as long as I can squat at her place for the weekend. I would love to attend the Formula One Monaco Grand Prix but could never get past the ridiculously expensive hotels of Monaco, especially on Grand Prix weekend.

Welcome to the Nataly Stalkers Club!:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

First rule of Nataly Stalkers Club is you do not to talk about Natalay Stalkers Club.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

First rule of Nataly Stalkers Club is you do not to talk about Natalay Stalkers Club.

Yeah, there's pretty much no need, at least one person seems to have that covered for everybody.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Think good thoughts...
Negative thoughts multiply themselves, one negative thought turns into 2, 2 become 4...
The more negative thoughts you let in, the less room there is for good.
This breeds itself like a cancer.
Negativity has a hard time establishing itself in a positive mind.
Force bad thoughts out and replace them with good thoughts.
If your healthy, are close with your family and/or have a few close friends, like what you do/ where you live then you should be walking around with a smile on your face because you've got everything that truly matters.

ryoder

[Yawn]

You guys are so far behind.:P;)
Remster

CanuckInUSA

***you live in a beautiful part of the world

:D:D:D:D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

ryoder

Pfft. He doesn't even care if she's there or not. He's more concerned about his car thingy.

The real members of the club would not be interested in F1.

And we wouldn't have to ask how close she is to Monaco. We already know.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I would so love to know that my contribution *means* something. The more I obsess about it, though, the more I feel guilty for caring too much about my work and not enough about the really important stuff (like friends, family, health, et cetera).

1. Some people live to work, some people work to live. Figure out which you want to be, and it gets easier.
2. A great manager makes it a point to ensure the people in their group know just what their contributions mean. Because that manager actually knows what the contributions are, and can relate them to the overall goals of the company. To me, that's one of the most important thing that a manager does.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Trafficdiver

This is just the first drop of the karma tidal wave that is going to crash on your head for being a shitty tipper.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving individual. :D

Mmm hmmm... I remember your reaction to that thread. I stand by my conviction that a person doing a bad job should not be rewarded with a bonus. Not me, not waitresses, not irresponsible bankers. No one.

If karma is about getting what you deserve, then let it throw everything right back in my face. I'm not worried - I even look forward to it!! :P:)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss