shermanator

first day of school thoughts please

My daughter had her first day of kindergarten today, and I need some thoughts and advise on a couple things that came up

1. The teacher told us that she kisses the kids on the forehead and hugs them. My daughter said this did happen. Your thoughts please

2. At recess they blew a whistle and the kids are to stop to their knees and put their hands on top of their head and wait. Then the whistle blows two times and they go line up. Your thoughtd are greatly appreciated

it's public school
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

>The teacher told us that she kisses the kids on the forehead and hugs them. My
>daughter said this did happen. Your thoughts please

Wouldn't do it if I were the teacher, but as long as she seems like she's a good teacher I'd have no problem with it.

>At recess they blew a whistle and the kids are to stop to their knees and put their
>hands on top of their head and wait. Then the whistle blows two times and they go
>line up. Your thoughtd are greatly appreciated

Sounds like the old civil defense drills that we used to do. Is that why they do it?

billvon

>The teacher told us that she kisses the kids on the forehead and hugs them. My
>daughter said this did happen. Your thoughts please

Wouldn't do it if I were the teacher, but as long as she seems like she's a good teacher I'd have no problem with it.

>At recess they blew a whistle and the kids are to stop to their knees and put their
>hands on top of their head and wait. Then the whistle blows two times and they go
>line up. Your thoughtd are greatly appreciated

Sounds like the old civil defense drills that we used to do. Is that why they do it?

I don't remember any C.D. drill that involved that. Any more details from then?

I can't imagine a scenario where the kids would be safer in this body position regardless of location or potential danger.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

shermanator

My daughter had her first day of kindergarten today, and I need some thoughts and advise on a couple things that came up

1. The teacher told us that she kisses the kids on the forehead and hugs them. My daughter said this did happen. Your thoughts please

- Strange but at least she shows that she cares. Some kids may never get that at home so I don't think it's all that bad.

2. At recess they blew a whistle and the kids are to stop to their knees and put their hands on top of their head and wait. Then the whistle blows two times and they go line up. Your thoughtd are greatly appreciated

- Not so unusual. They need the kids to get used to listening to directions quickly in case of an emergency. They are just getting them used to it.
it's public school

shermanator

Don't have a problem with hugs if the child is upset, scared or hurt but I think kissing the kids is a step too far. At least she was straight up with telling you. Kids need to learn that that sort of affection is for close friends and family not people in charge of them.

This is a great idea. I think it's just a way to get their attention without having to stand there screaming at them. Getting 20 kindergarteners to all do what you want at the same time can be "challenging" to say the least.
Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

It's too early to have a valid opinion on the matter...

If I were a teacher, though, I think I would be afraid to kiss/hug the kids because it's just opening up a can of worms... :S[:/]

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I don't think the hugging is out of line. Kids at that age still hug alot...like its part of their vocabulary, it's what they do, it's what they understand. Not much different then when you see them all holding hands.
My wife is an administrator in a school district. Every spring at the school that has K - 4 th grade they set it up where I bring my truck to the school and the kids go inside my sleeper and climb around on my trailer and the moms take pictures.
I always see the teachers being very touchy feel-ie with the little ones, you see them with their arms around the kids, they console kids when they fall with hugs etc. I never get the feeling it's "weird" in any way. You see some kids that are even more clingy and stand very close and look for contact.
My kids loved their teachers in the early years and remember them to this day and not because it was a bad experience.
As for the kiss, an occasional kiss on the forehead wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I'd be willing to bet no harm is intended.
I would let this ride and if you are concerned keep an eye on it for the time being. I'd be willing to bet your concerns will be laid to rest and your kid will have great year in kindergarten. You might even post again in the future telling us that it really ended up being no big deal at all.

Is this your first kid in kindergarten? A lot of parents, myself included, tend to over react when their kids first hit school.

The hugs are harmless and the kids like it. The kiss thing is no big deal, even though my kids' teachers did not do it.

Large groups of very young kids have to be kept under tight control and there are times when strict obedience is critical to safety. The whistle sound like a good means to that end.

I would not worry about either item.

Thank you for your thoughts. Here is my issue with the guys and kissing. I live in Orange county, which is right down the road from los Angeles where a lot of sexual abuse scandals have been in the need lately. This teacher kissing my child I'd teaching her that it is ok, and normal for that type of behavior. My concern I'd that with it "normal behavior" it now allows a sexual predator teacher to more easily truck her into abusing her, because it is what she is used to, and "that's what teachers do"

My other issue, I have to find out what the schools policy is I'd two students are seen kissing, most likely out is zero tolerance and would result in a visit to the office and a detention or suspension. Mixed messages by this.

Third, I teach my daughter that the only people allowed to kiss her are mommy, daddy, and close family and friends, not anyone else.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

shermanator

2. At recess they blew a whistle and the kids are to stop to their knees and put their hands on top of their head and wait. Then the whistle blows two times and they go line up.

Your thoughtd are greatly appreciated

it's public school

They should throw in telling them to cross their feet and interlace their fingers when their hands are on their head.

:P:P:P:P
Always be kinder than you feel.

shermanator

Thank you for your thoughts. Here is my issue with the guys and kissing. I live in Orange county, which is right down the road from los Angeles where a lot of sexual abuse scandals have been in the need lately. This teacher kissing my child I'd teaching her that it is ok, and normal for that type of behavior. My concern I'd that with it "normal behavior" it now allows a sexual predator teacher to more easily truck her into abusing her, because it is what she is used to, and "that's what teachers do"

My other issue, I have to find out what the schools policy is I'd two students are seen kissing, most likely out is zero tolerance and would result in a visit to the office and a detention or suspension. Mixed messages by this.

Third, I teach my daughter that the only people allowed to kiss her are mommy, daddy, and close family and friends, not anyone else.

I have to agree with everything you just said. I think they're valid, important issues.

What have previous student's parents said about this? It must've been addresses somehow before now.

FWIW, I don't have kids but when I read the original post I pictured an elderly woman teacher. Grandmotherly type. Just reflecting back on who taught me at that age. Then I was thinking 'that's sweet' but then the old school court employee in me pipes up and says "grooming". Sad.
Always be kinder than you feel.

One thing that parents learn when their kids go off to school is that they're no longer in charge of every single facet of their lives.

If you don't like the kissing, tell the teacher so. But you can also tell your daughter that she should always talk to you about things like that. That way you're giving her tools to deal with the future.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

But you can also tell your daughter that she should always talk to you about things like that. That way you're giving her tools to deal with the future.

One of the best things you can do as a parent is to discuss, honestly, the uncomfortable things in life. In return, I was amazed at what the kids would share with us. I'm sure they have their secrets, but I think we equipped them to make smart choices. So far, so good. :)

I totally understand your concerns. You could always find out how long this teacher has been working in the school district which may make you feel a little better. Sure bad things have been exposed in the past even under those circumstances but those cases are few and far between.
Your daughter is getting of age that you can start teaching her that people aren't always good but I wouldn't suggest making her suspicious of her teacher. The teacher should be someone she should turn to if something bad does happen and shouldn't be thought of as a bad guy in disguise.
One other thing, I know budget cuts have hit your area pretty tough but none the less alot of schools use aides for the pre k and k classes. The aides alot of times are interns so its not even a huge expense for the district. Basically it's another set of adult eyes supervising what's going on.
I think it's important to still have a little faith in humanity without totally letting your guard down. It's not easy the first time a dad has to leave their little girl in the care of another adult.
Keep your self involved. Volunteer to go along on little field trips. Bring things to school for show and tell. We had a pet snake...my wife would bring the snake to school ( the kids loved it!), I bring my truck and trailer to the school still to this day every year ( the kids think its the coolest !). If your involved you will be able to see for yourself and the teacher also sees that your a concerned parent who is on top of the situation. I'm sure the school/teacher would appreciate you being there to help for certain activities.
Wish you all the best with your little one...

shermanator

it's public school

1. i wouldn't worry too much..just ask her nicely to stop and tell her why it is not appropriate.

2. yes, it's hard to manage 40+ kids and the whistle is a great idea. BUT dropping to their knees and having them put their hands on their heads and wait? Sounds like social conditioning for a future police state. There are better ways to handle this using a whistle IMHO