wmw999

Watch my beer and hold this!

Now we know...
NBC News:

Many people who end their Friday or Saturday nights in a hospital emergency room have been drinking alcohol. In fact, public health experts estimate that about one-third of all injury-related ER visits involved alcohol consumption.

But what, exactly, are people drinking? What types of alcohol and even what brands? Is there a direct link between advertising and marketing and later injury?

Until now, those questions have been unanswerable, frustrating alcohol epidemiology researchers. But if results of a pilot study conducted by researchers from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health hold up, there may soon be a way to connect the dots.

When the Hopkins researchers surveyed ER patients who’d been drinking, they found that Budweiser was the number one brand consumed, followed Steel Reserve Malt Liquor, Colt 45 malt liquor, Bud Ice (another malt liquor), Bud Light, and a discount-priced vodka called Barton’s.

Though Budweiser has 9.1 percent of the national beer market, it represented 15 percent of the of the E.R. “market.” The disparity was even more pronounced for Steel Reserve. It has only .8 percent of the market nationally, but accounted for 14.7 percent of the E.R. market. In all, Steel Reserve, Colt 45, Bud Ice, and another malt liquor, King Cobra, account for only 2.4 percent of the U.S. beer market, but accounted for 46 percent of the beer consumed by E.R. patients.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

As if anyone needed a reason to avoid people pounding Colt 45, Steel Reserve, or King Cobra...

The only reason to drink those is to get f*Ck3d up. People who are wasted tend to do more stupid shit and end up in ERs. Go figure.

This study funded by the "The Captain Obvious Memorial Foundation".
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

hcsvader

I would just make the assumption that most people dont get blind drunk on premium beers...

Hmm... my last good beer drunk was on premium beers, but that was because I was at The Trappist where everything is high-octane and it all goes down way too easily!:D

But yeah, generally cheap beer = cheap drunks.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

JohnMitchell

***Hmm... my last good beer drunk was on premium beers, but that was because I was at The Trappist where everything is high-octane and it all goes down way too easily!:D

Most people who seek out the premium beers have the sense to go find a pillow when they've had too many, not a chainsaw and a tiki torch. :D

Yep, my designated driver took me home, fed me water, and stuck me in bed.

Reminds me of one time I was buying Patron at the liquor store when I was in my early 30s. I was dressed really young that day, and half expected to get carded. But then I realized that no one underage is going to be buying Patron (and I thought that was probably a missed opportunity for my 19-year-old self). :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

JohnMitchell

***Hmm... my last good beer drunk was on premium beers, but that was because I was at The Trappist where everything is high-octane and it all goes down way too easily!:D

Most people who seek out the premium beers have the sense to go find a pillow when they've had too many, not a chainsaw and a tiki torch. :D

Chainsaws and Tiki torches aren't worth getting out until ya got a good buzz going... B|
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

hcsvader

I think the fact that Budweiser wad the to reported beer consumed by the injured says enough.

The one time alcohol led me to the emergency room was after a night of tequila and jagermiester.

Hmmmm,

Stay away from power tools, tonight. ;)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

hcsvader

I think the fact that Budweiser wad the to reported beer consumed by the injured says enough.

The one time alcohol led me to the emergency room was after a night of tequila and jagermiester.

We ended up in the E.R. after consuming a pt or two of chilled thunderbird.

Still remember the intake nurse asking me to stop bleeding on her desk and take a seat to wait my turn.

***Whats the word?

Thunder bird.

Whats the price?

50 twice.

Who drink the most?

Insert The ethnic minority or social class of you choice.

Spit, spit, screw you I do:D:D (1967dude from east phili)

A few to many of those Thunderbird hangovers while still in high school cured me of any desire to drink any booze except for the occasional cold heini on a hot day.

R.I.P.
R.I.P.
One Jump Wonder

wmw999

Now we know...
NBC News:

Many people who end their Friday or Saturday nights in a hospital emergency room have been drinking alcohol. In fact, public health experts estimate that about one-third of all injury-related ER visits involved alcohol consumption.

But what, exactly, are people drinking? What types of alcohol and even what brands? Is there a direct link between advertising and marketing and later injury?

Until now, those questions have been unanswerable, frustrating alcohol epidemiology researchers. But if results of a pilot study conducted by researchers from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health hold up, there may soon be a way to connect the dots.

When the Hopkins researchers surveyed ER patients who’d been drinking, they found that Budweiser was the number one brand consumed, followed Steel Reserve Malt Liquor, Colt 45 malt liquor, Bud Ice (another malt liquor), Bud Light, and a discount-priced vodka called Barton’s.

Though Budweiser has 9.1 percent of the national beer market, it represented 15 percent of the of the E.R. “market.” The disparity was even more pronounced for Steel Reserve. It has only .8 percent of the market nationally, but accounted for 14.7 percent of the E.R. market. In all, Steel Reserve, Colt 45, Bud Ice, and another malt liquor, King Cobra, account for only 2.4 percent of the U.S. beer market, but accounted for 46 percent of the beer consumed by E.R. patients.

Wendy P.

Which is why we drink the good stuff.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hi Wendy and all,
Of all the booze mentioned, nobody said a word about Gallo "Sweet Lucy!!"

...AND...Do what you can to save our Planet Earth!!!! It's the only one, as far as we know, in the Universe that has "BEER!!!!!!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out