NorrinRadd

New Robocop?

Who will see this?
http://io9.com/first-trailer-robocop-trailer-shows-off-robocops-brand-1260308550

At first I thought of this as yet another in a long sting of attempts by Hollywood to capitalize on old successes by doing a remake. A remake that simply did not need to be done. The original was a classic. Violent and gory? Yes. Funny? Hell yeah. But more than that, it was a satire of modern commercialization, corrupt politics, and corporate culture. It reflected its times beautifully.

I have been hearing some compelling reasons to go see it though. So I am willing to entertain the idea...
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

Hearing the first time I was pretty much against it ... but this trailer ... I don't know ... it has some potential ... good actors in it too!

Might not the that bad... time will tell!
Avikus - Packer and Jumper - Hate landing with the plane!

I understand why they did, but I wish they wouldn't have called this RoboCop. Much like the recent horrors known as the JJ Abrams "Star Trek" they've taken the name and a few elements, but changed the basic premise so much that it's not just not the same plot and story, but the protagonist himself isn't the same either. His name is, his character isn't. Blown up by a car bomb? Understands who he is at the moment he wakes up?

Sure, I'll go to see this, but why waste the opportunity to create something truly original?

Arrrgh.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

Sure, I'll go to see this, but why waste the opportunity to create something truly original?

Arrrgh.

Because the Hollywood brass are *always* averse to originality, and prefer to follow the well-worn path?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Because the Hollywood brass are *always* averse to originality, and prefer to follow the well-worn path?

It's not just the suits. Everybody along the chain wants to put their thumbprint on it.

Seeing Murphy's face right up front after the transformation? Ugh.

Maybe it was the writer. Maybe the director or actor who demanded it. A suit probably didn't make that decision though. But the suit would be the one who greenlit it based on the name.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver