Brains

Heavily loaded reserves?

Ok, i have been giving serious thought to my reserve situation. I jump a crossfire2 109 and have a pdr 113 reserve. Currently i am loading them at 1.74:1 and 1.68:1 respectively. I have had a cutaway on this rig, and was able to land the reserve safely and accurately. (In a 10-12 mph wind) I have read some threads recently that brought up some serious concerns about likelyhood of reserve malfunction: IE; spinning up a heavily loaded reserve. What is considered a "heavily loaded" reserve??
I check profiles and find that i am not alone in this situation, i regularly see others who are loading their reserves over 1.6 and even over 1.8 I am seriously considering selling my container and getting a larger one to accomodate a larger reserve.:S

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Jeff-
Read p. 4 of the PD flight characteristics report.
http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/Reserve-Flight-Char-v3.pdf
You fall in the expert wl range by weight.

The PD Reserve Manual gives tips on flying a reserve at higher than 1.4, as well as other information on your reserve. If you haven't read it, you should read the whole thing. http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/Reserve_manual.pdf

I would say if you weigh more than 220 lb. out the door, you are overloading your reserve.

You are right, many jumpers are loading their reserve over the manufactures max recommendation but that does not make it the smart thing to do.

Moving up to a larger reserve would be good.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Floormonkey,
You and i talked about this when i bought this container. It was a stop-gap measure, a container that i could use till i could order another custom one. Not the brightest decision i have ever made i know.[:/] Even though i am not overloading this reserve, i am pushing the envelope a little further than i would like to. A main is one thing, a reserve is my last shot.:o I keep thinking of worst case scenarios, ie, knocked unconscious by a spinning skysurf board, etc. and wonder what the likliehood of surviving an unconscious reserve landing, loaded at 1.8B| Yes i know it is worst case, but that is why you have a reserve.

Now if i could just find a manufacturer that will make me a container to fit a crossfire2-99 and hold a pdr 176:D

I did find this quote from PD's reserve owner's manual;:D
"Do you really want to be trying to figure out how to land the smallest, fastest, highest rate of descent canopy you have ever jumped, while landing in an undesireable location?"

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Brains,

Considering how un-current you probably are at this point, I'm going to be putting you back on student gear for your refresher, anyway, so stop worrying about it.

:P;)B|

--Douva
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

"Do you really want to be trying to figure out how to land the smallest, fastest, highest rate of descent canopy you have ever jumped, while landing in an undesireable location?"

That's a really good quote.

Why not do what I did? Call up PD, and ask for a demo reserve. They'll send you one on main risers. Then jump it, repeatedly.

I even landed mine downwind in 20MPH winds. Intentionally. It was the most fun I've had in ages...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

>Now if i could just find a manufacturer that will make me a container to fit a crossfire2-99 and hold a pdr 176

Winsor has a Racer that hold his FX99 and a 288 reserve I think. I think Wings will make you one like that, so will Infinity if you talk to them. Lots of manufactors will work with you to get exactly what you want even if its not on their normal list. I had a talk with Mirage a long time ago and they remarked that while they really hate doing one off's... they can some times be talked into it. Call the companies and talk to them.

Could be like me... I've put a 105 Sam in my J2 with a PD160r ;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Landing it is enough to consider, but I also think about the fact that a highly loaded canopy is affected more by any problem, I'm especially thinking of those problems that can cause spinning mals. You just aren't as likely to suffer as much on a lightly loaded canopy.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Landing it is enough to consider, but I also think about the fact that a highly loaded canopy is affected more by any problem, I'm especially thinking of those problems that can cause spinning mals. You just aren't as likely to suffer as much on a lightly loaded canopy.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Rectangular reserves do not spin up nearly as nasty as tapered mains.