piisfish

America Cup in San Francisco

the thing that shocks me is ..
-Man overboard (3 actually)
-Keep going UnimpressedUnimpressedUnimpressedUnimpressed

Kinda like skydiving don't you think?. When the shit hits the fan, you're on your own....deal with it.

Anyway they are loaded up with floatation ,can swim, and have a chase boat.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

piisfish

Anybody watching ? Live on the spot or following on TV/internet ?
Not my favorite match racing, but wonderful boats and crews

Those AC72s are something else!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

still, at all regattas I have sailed, the crew had to be the same from start to end

AC has its own rules. But I guess losing part of your crew would make it a lot more difficult to keep those machines under control.

In that first race when the Kiwi boat made like a submarine I was amazed it didn't get ripped apart.

And the skydiving connection is there, we stole a few ideas and technology from the sailors back in the early days of CRW, (riser trims) and watersports have stolen a lot from skydiving...witness parasailing and kite surfing as two examples.

When the AC came down to NZ the sailors and sail makers picked our brains to see if they could learn anything new...not sure if they used any of our ideas, but it didn't stop them from asking.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

akjmpplt

Those AC72s are something else!

You got that right, they certainly aren't graceful sailing craft! ;)

But wouldn't it be fun to see Capt Jack Sparrow commanding one?B|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

kallend

***Oh, I'd love to get a ride on one!! But for looks I prefer my boat....

Nice. Where do you keep it?

Seward, Alaska. That photo was taken in Prince William Sound last month, the wife and I spent 10 days cruising the area. This coming Sunday we're doing another 10 days probably in the Kenai Fjords area.
SmugMug

piisfish

TNZ 2 - Oracle -2
great work by TNZ, Oracle sailing great too, but Kiwis seem to be on the good track to bring the Cup back to reason against the cheaters.

I don't really care who wins, just as long as Larry loses.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***TNZ 2 - Oracle -2
great work by TNZ, Oracle sailing great too, but Kiwis seem to be on the good track to bring the Cup back to reason against the cheaters.

I don't really care who wins, just as long as Larry loses.it is going that way. Can't wait for today's races
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

In the late 90’s and into the early 00’s, I was heavily into offshore & inshore yacht racing. Being a bit of a purist, I didn’t originally like the idea of the America's Cup moving away from monohulls, but quite like the cats now.

I’ve previously been able to do some racing aboard some America's Cup boats (IACC Class, 25metre); they are some impressive machines. Tacking is done on a 5 count, with the crew listening to their number to move (example: I was runner grinder and didn’t start until I heard “three”) One thing you’d never notice unless aboard are that on America’s Cup yachts, the port side winches are wound counter-clockwise as opposed to clockwise – to keep the sheeting angles just perfect.

For the America’s Cup Jubilee (150th anniversary of the first America’s Cup Race in 2001), the Aussie’s got permission to bring “Australia II” (12m boat that took the Cup away from the Americans in 1983) out of the museum and container ship it to the UK for the race. The museum curators came with the boat and ensured nothing could be changed on the boat – as it was exactly as it was the day it was removed from the water. To use modern instruments, they couldn’t drill any holes, so everything was held on by Velcro. There was some liquid in the bilge; it was removed and put in Ziploc bags to be put back in after the race. Aussie thoroughness and out of curiosity, they sent a sample for testing – the unsurprising result was a mix of seawater, hydraulic fluid and urine.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

In the late 90’s and into the early 00’s, I was heavily into offshore & inshore yacht racing. Being a bit of a purist, I didn’t originally like the idea of the America's Cup moving away from monohulls, but quite like the cats now.

I’ve previously been able to do some racing aboard some America's Cup boats (IACC Class, 25metre); they are some impressive machines. Tacking is done on a 5 count, with the crew listening to their number to move (example: I was runner grinder and didn’t start until I heard “three”) One thing you’d never notice unless aboard are that on America’s Cup yachts, the port side winches are wound counter-clockwise as opposed to clockwise – to keep the sheeting angles just perfect.

For the America’s Cup Jubilee (150th anniversary of the first America’s Cup Race in 2001), the Aussie’s got permission to bring “Australia II” (12m boat that took the Cup away from the Americans in 1983) out of the museum and container ship it to the UK for the race. The museum curators came with the boat and ensured nothing could be changed on the boat – as it was exactly as it was the day it was removed from the water. To use modern instruments, they couldn’t drill any holes, so everything was held on by Velcro. There was some liquid in the bilge; it was removed and put in Ziploc bags to be put back in after the race. Aussie thoroughness and out of curiosity, they sent a sample for testing – the unsurprising result was a mix of seawater, hydraulic fluid and urine.

Did you check out the nationalities of Team USA? Looks like almost all of them are aussies on the oracle boat.