skymama

What smell reminds you of your childhood?

Your answers are so varied and really interesting! I've enjoyed reading this thread. :)
Jimmy, to answer your question...I don't regret my swimming years at all and it shaped who I am today in so many ways, but spending 4 hours a day training was also a tough life for a kid. So, the smell of chlorine brings back very good times but I also don't feel the need to join Masters swimming like some people I know. Been there, done that; I've had my fill of racing for tenths of a second. I don't spend much time in pools these days, I can't relax in them!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

I ran across this question in a game the other day and found it so intriguing, I've been posing the same question to people.

So, what is your answer? :)

One of my favorite words to say to this day

magnolia.. with a pronounced drawl ... the fragrance of my great grandmothers huge ancient tree in her yard

:)

As a little kid...

Hellmann's Mayonnaise

When I was a kid, my family was a Miracle Whip family (because that's what Dad likes) and the only time I got to eat mayo was if I was at a friend's house and their Mom made us something to eat.

As a big kid...

The smell of an opened dish washer opened right at the end of or mid cycle.

It takes me back to the summer job I had wasing dishes in a dinner. Ya know, one of those jobs you have growing up where you're supposed to figure out what you DON'T want to do for the rest of your life!

6-12 mosquito repellent.

I also have to agree with the Coke machine smell. The one you had to lean down into and slide the bottle along the rails to get it out. Cold, musty galvanized sheet metal ...a one of a kind fragrance. Somehow it made the drink that much tastier.

Musty, damp firehose.

My dad was a volunteer fireman when I grew up in Ohio. We spent hours together at the fire station when I was a little kid, and then I joined when I was 16. The firehouse smelled like damp firehose constantly as it hung from the drying tower in bunches.

Mom use to do a lot of canning at the end of summer, we always had quite a garden.

Every year she'd turn 8-10 bushels of tomatoes into homemade Catsup. It was spicy & rich, took whole weekend to do, all the windows in the house had to be open...you could smell it throughout the whole neighborhood.

All us kids for blocks around hated that smell...not because it was a bad odor, because when 'Rosie was makin' her catsup' - school was about to start again!
:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

quade

Try not to be creepy.

Besides which, if you didn't want anyone to ask, then you would have never mentioned it.

Arrrghh..ok. Seems like anything I say i get pounced on :|

Ok, another thing (PG safe) that reminds me of my childhood is the smell of a freshly opened pack of erasers. :)

Ahhhhh.....

- The inside of a police car. The smell of the electronics is very distinct and still makes me smile to this day!

- Freshly cut grass

- A horse stable

- Atlantic City Boardwalk has a very distinctive smell. Roasting peanuts, salt air... my heart smiles when I smell AC.

- Margate and Longport beaches on a breezy day

- Sex Wax

- Leather conditioner and brass polish (my Dad taking care of his police uniform gear)

- Aviation exhaust is one of my all time favorite smells from childhood

I know there's more... :)

Always be kinder than you feel.

LuckyMcSwervy

Ahhhhh.....

- The inside of a police car.

Heh

Heheheh

hahahahahahahahahahhaa

Yeah . . . I could just imagine.:D:D:D:D:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Burning leaves in the fall. Not allowed to do that anymore, but fifty years ago when we were kids, we couldn't wait to rake up the front lawns (I'm not making this up....because...). We'd rake the leaves into the gutter and then we'd light them with matches and let 'em burn ! And we did this with our moms' blessing ! It was a pyro's dream come true as leaves burned up and down the streets, block after block as all the good little pyro children put them to the torch. It must have made for horrible air quality, but we thought the smell of the smoke was lovely, especially the way it permeated our clothes. I wish we could still do that now, even if I do know better.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Your 'mater memories made me think of a childhood smell I always loved, some hate it though.

Growing up in central Florida, orange groves used to cover the state. (my grandfather was a grove superintendent for a major juice maker)
The constant smell of orange juice concentrate.
While it's being made.

More so when that smell mixed with the smell from the rum distilleries between the juice packing plants. ;)B|

JohnMitchell

Model airplane glue because I built so many of them as a kid. B|

So that influenced you to pursue a career in ATC?:D

I remember one cold winter day in my room working on a model airplane; Gradually I started getting dizzy;:S Goddamit!>:( So I opened the windows wide to air out the room, and closed the door so I wouldn't freeze the rest of the house.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

So that influenced you to pursue a career in ATC?:D

I remember one cold winter day in my room working on a model airplane; Gradually I started getting dizzy;:S

I loved planes, trains and automobiles as a kid. I didn't open the windows when I started getting dizzy. I think THAT is what made me become an air traffic controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WAwuSK36Gw