yoink

Who does work on their own car - brakes specifically?

OK - I need a little help.

The front pads and discs need replacing on my car and I've decided to try and do it at home.
I'm reasonably handy with DIY stuff but have never done any car maintenance before. I can change a wheel but that's about it.

From what I've read online it sounds simple enough, but any tips or advice from people that have actually done it would be most appreciated!

I've no idea if it makes any difference, but it's for an 2009 Audi A4.

grue

Front brakes on VW/Audi family products are dead simple. Just don't break the pad wear sensor wire.

Rear brakes suuuuuuuck, you need a special caliper compression tool.

That's what you get for buying a VW.

Um, doh!
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

You are an ambitious boy, aren't you? :P

Do you have all the tools you need? Don't get me wrong, but if you've never done any car repairs before, it will probably cost you more to rent the proper equipment to do this and keep it from falling on your head than paying for a brake job would.

I'm a fan of doing all you can by yourself, BTW. In fact, today, I had the technician walk me through the repair he did on my car. That way, when (and it probably will be when) it rears its ugly head on my other car, I can do this myself.

There is a measure of satisfaction when you do things yourself. :)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

>Do you have all the tools you need? Don't get me wrong, but if you've never done
>any car repairs before, it will probably cost you more to rent the proper equipment to
> do this and keep it from falling on your head than paying for a brake job would.

To replace disk brake pads? You don't need much. Digital camera, jack stands and a bungee cord are nice but not essential. Most people have the basics (wrenches, hammer, C-clamp)

Replacing drum brakes are a bit more annoying but fortunately many cars nowadays have all disks. Even on ones that still have drums, the disk pads tend to wear first.

Got a wedding coming up so am trying to save all the cash possible! ;) I think I have all the tools necessary... socket wrenches, Allen keys, Jack's and suchlike.

Got taught Latin in school, but not so much anything practical like this!

okay the front pads and rotors are very simple. First timers it might take some time to figure out how to put the new clips in the right way and figure out how to push the brake caliper in. If you bought a brake kit it should come with it all if not its not a big deal just dont bend them. If you dont have the right tools to push the piston in you can use a big pair of "pump Pliers" (google it if you dont know what im talking about) use an old brake pad and put it on the piston and squeeze the piston in but dont forget to open the brake resevoir cap. The rotor should be able to just slide off when you take the Brake Caliper off it. if its not held on by a nut and its stuck just take a rubber malet and hit it a few times to break it free. The caliper is held on by 2 bolts in the back, undo them and the caliper will slide off. There is a bracket on that with 2 "slide pins" When you take that off remember to clean and regrease those pins. This will help with smoother brake application. Remember how you took the old pads off and put the new ones on the same way. once you have the caliper off and the pads off you dont want to let it hang by the brake line, this might make it crack and thats a bad thing. you can take a wire and hang it up or just set it on the Control arm. Its a dirty job but very simple. Just take your time with it and take pictures if you have a bad memory. If you have any questions or there is something you are confused about feel free to message me. For anyone else if you need help with something on your car you can message me.

Disc brakes are dead easy
Check out youtube, theres a laod of good stuff on there (some shit stuff too)
Caliper comoresssion via G clamp is easy peasy
If I can do it anyone can
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

As above disc brakes are a piece of piss. On my first car I had it down to about 10 mins per corner as they were so shit they'd wear out in about 6 months but were luckily only a tenner a pair!

Best advice I can give is to find a nice Audi forum and hopefully they'll have a wiki or advice forum where a step by step guide has been written including photos. There are so many little variations in the way different manufacturers and even models attach their callipers and manage their pads etc that it's good to get model specific advice. Generic advice will only take you so far unless you have background knowledge of what you're looking at.

Oh, and copper slip on the back of the pads is great for preventing brake squeal - obviously, don't get it anywhere near the friction surface. A can of spray on brake cleaner is also a good investment - use that and an old tooth brush to thoroughly clean everything before re-assembly.

Also have a quick google for brake pad bedding in procedures. Usually it's a few miles of light driving followed by getting them good and hot with some 0-60-0 sprints on a quiet road somewhere and then hold your foot on the brakes for a minute or two to mate the two surfaces nicely and get rid of any bedding in compound on the surface of the pad. A step a lot of people fail to do!

Ya know.. I work on the Harley Road King myself... sit next to the bike and watch YouTube videos before & during what ever event I'm going to do before I fuck it up and still have to go to the mechanic :D

Anyway... Here's some YouTube vids for review

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

What he said. check out online vids. Works a charm, and yes, even car technicians have gopros.......
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Lots of good advice so far, here's mine:

Brake pads are pretty simple. Go online and find a forum. Search around a bit to find what you want to do. I'd be willing to bet that, somewhere, there is a step by step with pictures for it. Or search YouTube. There's lots of "Here's how you..." car videos.

Support the car properly. Jack stands, not a jack. I would consider bungee cords an important, not optional "tool." Hanging a caliper from the brake line (hose) is a good way to learn how to replace that line (and that is a much more involved repair). You can put a block, or extra jack stand under the caliper to support it, but if you do, still bungee it up - It will almost certainly fall off, and that fall will quite possibly damage the brake line (ask me how I know that :|)

Specialty tools can often be borrowed from a parts store. AutoZone, for example, has a "tool loan" program. You put a deposit down (cost of the tool), use it, bring it back in good condition, get the deposit back. You may have to purchase the parts at the store to borrow the tools. Not sure on that.

You may not have to replace the rotors (discs). If they aren't too bad, they can be machined down. It depends on how bad of condition they are in.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

yoink

If I don't post again after the weekend you know something's gone horribly wrong!:D:D

Jack and support the car properly. Then for added peace of mind, put the wheel you've just removed under the car. Think of it as an AAD - if all else fails, at least there's the wheel...

Take both wheels off, but only do one brake at a time. This way you can run around the car and use the other side for reference.
If you live where there is salt air and you have corrosion, you need to spray bolts with penetrating oil a half hour or so ahead of time at least. Over night is better.
How many miles on the car? Has it had a brake job before?
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

yoink

Got a wedding coming up so am trying to save all the cash possible! ;) I think I have all the tools necessary... socket wrenches, Allen keys, Jack's and suchlike.

Got taught Latin in school, but not so much anything practical like this!

Dont forget the most important things:

At least 2 friends and some beer.;)

DO NOT let the wife to be anywhere around.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

yoink

How many miles on the car? Has it had a brake job before?

47,000 - No work done on it yet.

I like the reference idea!

What are the tires loaded at?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun