JohnnyMarko

Dear motorcyclists,

I love you guys. Seriously. I'm jealous, a little bit. I bet the feeling of riding on the open road is amazing. Unfortunately, I'm a a pussy and they scare the shit out of me so I'll never ride one. I always give you guys plenty of room, yield to you since a jeep vs. bike is no match, and always give you that look like "oooohhh, ahhhhh, nice bike (wo)man"....but why IN FUCKS SAKE do some of you ride around quiet neighborhoods throttling it up like a mother fucker and shaking shit off my walls? Do you want us to know how big (or probably little) your cock is? Is this a macho thing? Someone please explain the appeal of this..

-Johnny

(an offshoot of the range rover/road rage thread)

I am a biker.
No, the sound does not do it either for me. Yet, revving it up and riding it like a demon, like explaining a first jump to some wuffo.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

potatoman

I am a biker.
No, the sound does not do it either for me. Yet, revving it up and riding it like a demon, like explaining a first jump to some wuffo.

Cool....any reason you...scratch that...some motorcyclists choose to do it in residential areas and not on an open road? The fuck is the point of taking off and making noise when there's a stoplight/sign every block?

Cause the bitch between your legs screems for more, and accelerates at one hell of a pace. Anyways, I agree with you.

I like to take my bike out to the track, or hit some windy in the hills, or even on the highways.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Haha I know some people who do this.

I ride as well but I don't go screaming through neighborhood streets with it pinned in first. However, it's not exactly easy to keep a 1200cc bike with a performance exhaust system and race ECU, quiet. My bike probably idles louder than most sport bikes sound around 5K RPM.

Unfortunately there isn't much I can do about it. So without knowing what the jackass in your neighborhood is doing, I'm not much help.
Turn to the storm and say, "Give your worst, and I shall give my best."

Ive got a road king with some straight pipes on it. Sounds nice cruising, and pretty throaty sitting at idle, that's why I dont have a silent exhaust personally.

I do try my best to cruise through the hood quietly and respect the neighbors, I am sure its loud at 2am even when doing my best though.

There are assholes in every hobby and they give the rest of us a worse rep than we deserve B|.

riddler

Standard excuse: "So cars can hear me."
My reply: "Bullshit. By the time they hear you, you are already past their blind spot."

Thank you. Exhaust sound is projected rearwards. Not exactly where you need to announce your presence.

<-rides.
Remster

Remster

***Standard excuse: "So cars can hear me."
My reply: "Bullshit. By the time they hear you, you are already past their blind spot."

Thank you. Exhaust sound is projected rearwards. Not exactly where you need to announce your presence.
<-rides.

My guess is if exhaust were rerouted to send the noise forward and as loud as some are, a few more people would get doored by "accident."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I ride a brand new Street Glide. The standard factory exhaust comes with a catalytic converter which is required by EPA but it reduces the horsepower and also causes the bike to run hot. So hot, in fact that it's uncomfortable sitting at a traffic light. Especially on an air cooled bike. The EPA standard also requires the manufacturer to tune the fuel injection to run very lean.

So, I took off the factory exhaust all the way to the heads and replaced them with new Vance and Hines pipes. I also took the catalytic converter off because my State doesn't require it on a bike. We then added a performance air intake and retuned and mapped the fuel injection. All of this causes the bike to run louder than it did with the original factory exhaust etc. I do try and be respectful of my neighbors and cool it when leaving and returning and I don't think any have a problem with it. However, I have set off car alarms when just fucking around. B|

However, the simpler answer is that it sounds cool and many riders like the attention they get with loud pipes and will gun their engines whenever they get the chance. It's really no different than the reasons skydivers wear some of the brightly colored jumpsuits or canopies.

JohnnyMarko

I love you guys. Seriously. I'm jealous, a little bit. I bet the feeling of riding on the open road is amazing. Unfortunately, I'm a a pussy and they scare the shit out of me so I'll never ride one. I always give you guys plenty of room, yield to you since a jeep vs. bike is no match, and always give you that look like "oooohhh, ahhhhh, nice bike (wo)man"....but why IN FUCKS SAKE do some of you ride around quiet neighborhoods throttling it up like a mother fucker and shaking shit off my walls? Do you want us to know how big (or probably little) your cock is? Is this a macho thing? Someone please explain the appeal of this..

-Johnny

(an offshoot of the range rover/road rage thread)

Well, obviously, you need to attach things to your walls more securely.;)

My Kawa 650 is bone stock, so I don't think you are talking about me.
I'd love to try one of these if they could double the range:

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

grandmaster95

Unfortunately there isn't much I can do about it. .

Ive been riding bikes for over 30 years, and i rebuild a few too.
There's a shit ton you can do about it. especially if you have a race kit in it, and you road ride it.

You choose not to do anything.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It seems to me, the louder the bike, the younger the driver, and the smaller the bike... :S The typical thing I see is a teeeeeeeny scooter making a hell of a lot of noise... They deliberately rev up as often as possible and generally ride like asshats. They should be run over.

I dream of the day where all vehicles are silent.

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nataly

It seems to me, the louder the bike, the younger the driver, and the smaller the bike... :S The typical thing I see is a teeeeeeeny scooter making a hell of a lot of noise... They deliberately rev up as often as possible and generally ride like asshats. They should be run over.

REALLY:S:S:S:S

And the day all vehicles are silent, the pedestrian road death will increase exponentially.
In China they run a lot of electric scooters, and it's dangerous enough there.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I hate when people do this. I feel like most of them do it just so people can look and see how "cool" they think they look. Makes me want to throw a rock at them. but there are bikes that are normally very loud. I have a 2008 ZX10R with a bunch of stuff done to it and with the exhaust i have it is very loud. I try to keep it as quiet as possible in neighborhoods just so i dont draw alot of attention to me since i am only 22. The best way i do it is i keep it in 2nd gear and putt around so its not screaming.

shropshire

Bad idea Nat..... silent, moving vehicles kill!

And yet most cars are quieter than any motorcycles.
When I reach an intersection, I look for traffic, I don't listen for it,
regardless if I'm walking, cycling, or driving.
And I've never hit anyone with my bicycle.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Did you ever bash in a window with your helmet?:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

Helmets are for losers....(kidding)

I'm gonna wrap myself fucking bubble wrap for my bicycle ride to work now since my deductible is through the roof.

turtlespeed

Have you ever tried to break tempered glass with a 9oz foam helmet?
It takes a looong time.[:/]

ryoder

Have you ever tried to break tempered glass with a 9oz foam helmet?
It takes a looong time.[:/]

Cant say I have.:D:D:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It seems to me, the louder the bike, the younger the driver, and the smaller the bike

Sounds like you are describing the difference between a 4-stroke and a 2-stroke engine. Are you aware of the differences between these two designs?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over