peek

What on earth do these scammers want?

Since I have my office in my home, and have both an office phone number and a home number, I have the "opportunity" to get calls from a surprisingly large number of scammers of all types. (The no-call lists are honored only by those who wish to obey the law, and many of these people can get away with making these calls.)

The latest one is someone with an Indian accent telling me that he can see that my computer is "at risk" or some such nonsense, and tries to tell me to do a "restart" on my computer.

I pretend that I am, and then tell him the most ridiculous results of my actions, usually by screaming, "I got the Blue Screen of Death!" They are always confused because these "computer experts" don't even know what the BSOD is! (OK, I'll give you Mac users a pass.)

After a while I can't contain myself any longer and just start laughing, at which point they figure out that they have been "had". The latest one actually called me a "motherfucker". I laughed even louder. I have never been so gratified to be called a name.

So, does any one know what it is they are trying to get people to eventually do? Time permitting, I would like to take them as far as I can through the process before laughing at them.

What I would like to know is, how many people actually fall for these scams. My all time favorite is the (internet) one where they want you to send $10,000.00 for taxes on lottery winnings of millions. I've strung one or two along on the internet till they realized I was screwin' with 'em.:D:D:D

Chuck

masterrig

What I would like to know is, how many people actually fall for these scams. My all time favorite is the (internet) one where they want you to send $10,000.00 for taxes on lottery winnings of millions. I've strung one or two along on the internet till they realized I was screwin' with 'em.:D:D:D

Chuck

I am working from home today... and just got a call from "Customer Care" so I hit 1 for more info..

They were going to be magnanimous and put in a security system for me IF I let them put a sign in my front yard..

I said NAH. I pass on the offer.. don't need it.. I already have a security system.... I have 3 large dogs that let me know when some zombie might be in the yard.. and something of .44 in diameter to make real sure.... that by the time the county sheriffs actually show up... said zombie will already be getting cooled off.

I am thinking letting some of these idjiots into your home to case the home.. PLUS having their system in place that could probably be conveniently turned off/// Sorry I would pass:ph34r:

Oh and take me off your suckers list... "God Bless Murica":ph34r:

Caller ID. I still have a landline and an actual answering machine. The cool thing about the answering machine is "Talking Caller ID." It announces the phone number of the incoming call. I don't even have to look at the phone.
If it isn't a number I recognize, or at least a local number, I don't answer it.
If they want to talk to me, they can leave a message.
If they don't want to leave a message, it must not have been that important.

Occasionally, I'm in the mood to mess with the telemarketers. Knowing who I will be dealing with gives me a chance to think of how to approach them.
Charities get asked what percentage of the donation gets chewed up by admin costs, sales creatures get asked detailed questions about the performance or specs (like maybe 10 minutes worth), then after wasting their time, I tell them what I really think about people who call me and invade my privacy to either try to beg money from me or to sell me some useless piece of junk that I don't want or need. It isn't a nice ending to what they thought was a potentially lucrative call.
But not too often.

The scammers want to scam you. (Duh)
They will convince you that you need their product to save your computer. Then they will either sell you some useless product or service or just rip off your credit card.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Amazon

***What I would like to know is, how many people actually fall for these scams. My all time favorite is the (internet) one where they want you to send $10,000.00 for taxes on lottery winnings of millions. I've strung one or two along on the internet till they realized I was screwin' with 'em.:D:D:D

Chuck

I am working from home today... and just got a call from "Customer Care" so I hit 1 for more info..

They were going to be magnanimous and put in a security system for me IF I let them put a sign in my front yard..

I said NAH. I pass on the offer.. don't need it.. I already have a security system.... I have 3 large dogs that let me know when some zombie might be in the yard.. and something of .44 in diameter to make real sure.... that by the time the county sheriffs actually show up... said zombie will already be getting cooled off.

I am thinking letting some of these idjiots into your home to case the home.. PLUS having their system in place that could probably be conveniently turned off/// Sorry I would pass:ph34r:

Oh and take me off your suckers list... "God Bless Murica":ph34r:

Sounds to me like your security system is much better than what they are offering. S&W make one of the finest of security systems.:D
By the way... I have gun envy! I only have a .357.[:/]:D I gotta up-grade.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

how many people actually fall for these scams.

The best one ever, long before the internet. About '61-'62 or so this guy puts an ad in the New York Times, which said, "Send $5 to this post office box." Nothing else.

And in the money rolled in. They went after him for fraud but his defense that he never promised anything; and he didn't.

Wish I would have thought of it.

JerryBaumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Chuck,

how many people actually fall for these scams.

The best one ever, long before the internet. About '61-'62 or so this guy puts an ad in the New York Times, which said, "Send $5 to this post office box." Nothing else.

And in the money rolled in. They went after him for fraud but his defense that he never promised anything; and he didn't.

Wish I would have thought of it.

JerryBaumchen

I honestly remember that! It's genius! :D:D

Chuck

That's hilarious!
In the 50's or 60's, some guy put an ad in magazines stating that if you send him a dollar, he will tell you how to make a million dollars. The secret was putting an ad in magazines and telling people to send you a dollar for the secret. I learned later, the guy came real close to getting a million bucks.

Chuck