Tink1717

Vegan skydivers.....

Just wondering how many there are here. And how long you've been at it.

Count off....

1. 18 months.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Tink1717

Just wondering how many there are here. And how long you've been at it.

Count off....

1. 18 months.

I'm vegan, as is my wife (she's not a skydiver though)

I'm appalled by the way people abuse animals for food so I just stopped.

As a result I keep losing weight, my muscle mass increased, my fatty liver is normal, my cholesterol has never been lower, and my BP is perfect. I'm off all my meds other than a little B12 and some synthetic omega-3 (it's not from a fish or other animal source)

I've never felt better in my life!

Was vegetarian for 17 years and vegan for 3 (used to eat locally sourced eggs as my holdout)
You are not the contents of your wallet.

Yeah, I just got back from my annual physical. Now they tell me I've got a B12 deficiency. So, I have to find a non animal B12. Any ideas?

I didn't get the whole "I've never felt better in my life" thing. I wish I did. :| I did drop 44 lbs and got off all the meds except B/P and cortisol replacement. :)
One of the thing I found most surprising was that there were four other vegans at my DZ. The other thing was how hard it was to find vgean food in the middle of farm country. Who knew? So far it's been little more than a logistics problem and now that I'm no longer throwing a drogue, a significantly less problem.

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.

DrDom

As a result I keep losing weight, my muscle mass increased, my fatty liver is normal, my cholesterol has never been lower, and my BP is perfect. I'm off all my meds other than a little B12 and some synthetic omega-3 (it's not from a fish or other animal source)

When I'm in a training cycle for a competition (powerlifting), I'm eating roughly 5,000-7,000 calories a day with 4-500gr of protein. Lots of meat, LOTS of meat, plus protein shakes (WPI mostly) and a significant amount of carbs. My levels are all right where they need to be as well.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'd like to think that if you had any idea what went into animal agriculture, you'd be revolted rather than appetized.

I'm not an animal right vegan, but I am a human nutrition and health vegan. Given the currnet state of affairs in the agri business, it is not possible that a heathful or benficial product is being produced.

Tink1717

I'd like to think that if you had any idea what went into animal agriculture, you'd be revolted rather than appetized.

Oh I know. A reason why we like buying local grass fed beef and local free range chickens.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

My post was part humorous.

I'm well aware of what goes on in the meat food business, especially on the level that is required to feed the masses.

I still don't eat much meat, and when I do, I try to get it from local farmers (which for me) means individual butchering, not the slaughtering methods of the mass producers. When I can, I buy kosher, as well. Not that I observe kosher, but I know what that entails.

I buy eggs from my next door neighbor. My other next-door neighbor is a head boat captain on the Chesapeake, and he is kind enough to bring me fish from the day's catch.

There is a farm around the corner that makes the most amazing bacon.

Not everyone is as fortunate as I am to live where this is doable on a regular basis.

Today, I had live blue crabs, and steamed them myself with my own low-salt-high-flavor version of MD crab seasoning. :)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Tink1717

I'm not an animal right vegan, but I am a human nutrition and health vegan. Given the currnet state of affairs in the agri business, it is not possible that a heathful or benficial product is being produced.

It is if you source carefully.

Am I perfect? No, but I do make an effort to ensure that substantially all of the meat products I purchase for home consumption are raised in an ethical, sustainable manner. I buy grass-fed beef and pastured pork/lamb in bulk from a rancher who sells at my local farmer's market. I've talked to him directly, I know how he raises his animals, and I'm confident that he's about as far from "agri business" methods as you can get. I'm getting what I believe (with eyes open to the alternatives) is a healthful and beneficial product.

None of this to argue against your choice of veganism; sounds like it works really well for you and is the right choice for your health.

As with any "out of the mainstream" way of eating, I'm sure you've found the key is being prepared; relying on the (generally) limited options available at or near most dropzones will leave you frustrated. Whenever possible I bring my own food to the DZ. Easier at my home DZ when I have my RV kitchen to store/prepare food, but I've muddled through even while traveling, I just end up being more limited in my options.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Not a vegan, but I've been a vegetarian for 6 years, and I'll likely never go back to eating meat for both health, ethical, and environmental reasons.

For me, I derive no pleasure in eating something, even if it was tasty, that required an animal to die in order for me to eat it.
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Like I said, I'm not an animal rights activist, but I'm being dragged, kicking and screaming in that direction. Everytime I see footage of the slaughter process and get another report on how much antibiotics and exotic chemistry are forced into these poor creatures, and everytime I see another report on the discovery of another strain of resistant bacteria, and every report I see on the obesity epidemic and its effect on children brings me closer still to writing a check to PETA. :|

I can't believe the wanton, incessant and pointless cruelty that is practiced on these "farms" can ever produce anything even remotely heathy. And I can't believe that with every outbreak of foodbourne disease that the public doesn't demand, in such a way that the lobby can't ignore, at least a change in the methods, standards and end products.

Put me down in the happytarian column too; if it's humanely raised, I'm fine with it. Because it's more expensive, that means smaller servings of meat, but that's not a bad thing either.

Food-borne illness is a fact of life; when I was a kid, we soaked everything in iodine because local farmers used the local (unsafe) water supply, and some used night soil to fertilize. Those are exceedingly natural methods -- just not conducive to food safety :P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm into animal rights. What we do to animals is just unethical. My wife occasionally has eggs that our friends get from their pet chickens. They really are pets, the eggs are just bonuses in their minds

As for b12 you can get your doc to give you shots if you're super low, otherwise we use sublingual b12 which isn't animal sourced (found it at our natural grocer)

From a medical perspective (which I have some basic education in) plant based diets are actually much healthier. The whole "more protein, drink your milk" is propaganda from the respective industries and have no medical basis (more calcium doesn't improve bone growth, high protein diets are actually more toxic, carbs aren't as evil as we though, etc).

I've read the research but nobody wants to listen. It's like telling smokers their habit is bad ;)

I don't push the veganism though... I just give people the facts and they can decide. Itis better though
You are not the contents of your wallet.