normiss

Satellite radio?

Anybody?

I've been taking the free 2 month test ride and I cannot see the value in it.
Programming is crap and they do have commercials.
Maybe on a cross country drive, but otherwise, I think terrestrial radio will do in comparison.
The comedy channels are pretty good but I think I've made it all the way through their rotation.

I have a lifetime subscription to it on the radio in my truck. Served me well after moving around so much/driving cross country a LOT while I was in the army.

I took the AM/FM antenna off of my truck and solely listen to XM/USB flash media.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I've been taking the free 2 month test ride and I cannot see the value in it.
Programming is crap and they do have commercials.

I know Sirius doesn't have commercials on the music channels. They do have DJs, but they keep the chit-chat to a minimum. I've had Sirius for the last 7 or 8 years, and I gave up on terrestrial radio. Anytime I have to listen to it, I can't believe how many commercials there are, and how little music they play.

The other thing I like is the 'niche' channels, where you can pick a narrow niche and really get just that. "Classic rock' on terrestrial radio seems to go from the 60's to the late 80's at this point, on Sirius they have separate channels for the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, grunge, alternative, metal, etc, etc, so pick what you want and that's what you get. They also have more broad spectrum channels for when you want a little of everything.

There are commercials on the talk channels, but I don't think you can get away from those. Howard Stern started off with no commercials but figured out that he need a break to take a piss and the like. I don't think the commercials are excessive, and one thing that's nice is that they're 'flexible' as to when they air, so nobody has to interrupt a good interview or interesting discussion just because it's 'commercial time'.

I spend a lot of time in the car, so to me having quality in-car entertainment is a must-have. If you drive less, I can see where it seems like no big deal .

Edit to add - the other thing I like is any time I'm out of town or driving long distances, I take the Sirius radio with me. It takes 2 min to pop in a rental car, and then it's just like being 'home' when I'm driving.

Agreed. We use it at home, in the car, on the boat. It's not the value it once was because of the commercials on some fo the channels, but the music channels I listen to most are commercial free.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I only use it for half a dozen music channels so refuse to pay full price for it. I usually wait until they send me a 6-month for $25 offer and user that. The good news is that by the time I get a new one, the music rotation has changed - it can get a bit repetative otherwise!

I have Sirius in my truck. I chose Sirius from the start.
It's nice never being in radio dead zones and not having to find another station every few hundred miles.
I end up listening to ALOT of the talk radio shows which helps my day move along.
The music channels are ok and you do have different genres of music but the channels ( including classic ) play a very limited selection.
The same 3 songs by the Who, same 4/stones....u get the idea.
These bands, and others have GREAT albums with tons of awesome tunes...why the same ones over and over.
I guess even satelite radio figures most people only spend a short amount of time behind the wheel so they better get to the hits.
Deep tracks gets away from those hits but still plays a limited variety.
As you saw with the comedy channel, you heard the loop. It takes awhile before it gets changed again...:(
Personally, as far as music goes, an iPod is the way to go. I've got hundreds of albums on mine and can listen to what I want when I want or just let it play stuff at random which blows away any set list some radio station can play for me.

JohnnyMarko

Cross country drive?! Pfhhhhhh...most stations rotate the same 30 songs or so...you'll hear it all twice or thrice

I agree, I have done a lot of road trips, and it does get repetitive.

I think the only reason I keep it is because FM reception is spotty where I live.

No one delivers pizza, either. [:/]
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

What everyone else said. Plus:

My favorite Tampa radio station went to a ridiculous format where socially stunted losers who have nothing better to do all day in their mom's basement can sit online and decide what gets played. [eye roll]. I don't like what's on any of the other stations.

iPod (or other personal music device) is great, but you never hear new bands or get exposed to new music that way. (same can be said for your favorite local radio station)

Sometimes it's nice to have five different news stations to get several points of view, anytime you want.

FWIW, on long, cross-country road trips, I like to get books on CD as another option. Makes the time go by quite quickly! But when the book is finished, or I want music instead, it's nice to have that option regardless of available terrestrial stations.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

TriGirl

My favorite Tampa radio station went to a ridiculous format where socially stunted losers who have nothing better to do all day in their mom's basement can sit online and decide what gets played. [eye roll]. I don't like what's on any of the other stations.

That wouldn't happen to be the same station that likes to play 'War of the roses' where they like to catch people who are cheating, or the game where they call you and ask why you didn't call someone back after a date... would it?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message