AggieDave

Detroit Photo Tours?

Does anyone have a link, the hook up or an idea of anyone who coordinates photo tours in Detroit? Specifically there are a couple of us who want to travel there and get legal access to some of the "big" ruins like the Packard factory, the opera house, some schools and such. Urban exploration photography. I've had great luck in Texas achieving legal access to some really great sites, including an abandoned orphanage in north Texas, but some friends and I want to travel to Detroit this year on a photography trip.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

AggieDave

Does anyone have a link, the hook up or an idea of anyone who coordinates photo tours in Detroit? Specifically there are a couple of us who want to travel there and get legal access to some of the "big" ruins like the Packard factory, the opera house, some schools and such. Urban exploration photography. I've had great luck in Texas achieving legal access to some really great sites, including an abandoned orphanage in north Texas, but some friends and I want to travel to Detroit this year on a photography trip.

Please make sure you get a picture of you and Les Gold.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Don't forget some of the old theaters and ballrooms. The Fox has been restored. The Michigan theatre was turned into a beautiful indoor parking lot. The Grande Ballroom has a lot of great rock and roll history. Many great bands played there, it was one wild place, I can personally attest to that.

rcs

Don't forget some of the old theaters and ballrooms. The Fox has been restored. The Michigan theatre was turned into a beautiful indoor parking lot. The Grande Ballroom has a lot of great rock and roll history. Many great bands played there, it was one wild place, I can personally attest to that.

Exactly, that's some more examples of stuff we would like to shoot. We could only realistically one site a day, *maybe* two depending on travel time and how involved a single shooting location is. However, if we don't have someone to help us organize and get us access, it would be a tough trip to shoot even one legitimate location.

rcs

This may be a good contact. I don't know, but he does some work like your are looking for.

SNWEB.ORG Photography, LLC.

Good Luck

Good contact, e-mailed him and he already got back to me. Basically he said that legit access is super-hard to come by as the building's individual owners really have no desire to allow it. There's a market for this, where the building owner could have waivers and get paid per person. A photo-tour business could make it happen. I, however, am NOT moving there to make it happen!

AggieDave

Dave you not a member on UER perhaps some explorers from that area might be able to help you out.

Never really had legal access :P sometimes takes the fun out of it :D:D

Me and my exploring partner are off to Germany next month and non of that will be permission

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

ItsThatGuy

The Packard Plant is such a mess and so many gangs lurk around in there i dont know why any one would want to go. Trust me i like urban exploration but all there is at the Packard Plant now is broken concrete and graffitti.

One of the locals I contacted said that there have been some photographers that were victims of those gangs, with their gear stolen and some minor injuries while shooting the Packard Plant. Personal security is a significant concern for these shoots and has been on the other Texas urban exploration photoshoots I've been on, it is something that the other photographers in my group and I take very seriously. We also take serious steps to provide protection for each other.

Regardless, thank you for all the feedback, having made contact with some of the suggested people from the thread I've learned that basically there is no legal access since the property owners really don't care unless they're going to make significant money from a commercial shoot. There aren't any people or organizations providing a fixer service or organizing anything like this, which is too bad since I think that could be a serious side-gig for a local pro-photographer.

Well, I guess I'll get back to focusing on access to the Baker Hotel before it gets redeveloped.

AggieDave

***The Packard Plant is such a mess and so many gangs lurk around in there i dont know why any one would want to go. Trust me i like urban exploration but all there is at the Packard Plant now is broken concrete and graffitti.

One of the locals I contacted said that there have been some photographers that were victims of those gangs, with their gear stolen and some minor injuries while shooting the Packard Plant. Personal security is a significant concern for these shoots and has been on the other Texas urban exploration photoshoots I've been on, it is something that the other photographers in my group and I take very seriously. We also take serious steps to provide protection for each other.

Regardless, thank you for all the feedback, having made contact with some of the suggested people from the thread I've learned that basically there is no legal access since the property owners really don't care unless they're going to make significant money from a commercial shoot. There aren't any people or organizations providing a fixer service or organizing anything like this, which is too bad since I think that could be a serious side-gig for a local pro-photographer.

Well, I guess I'll get back to focusing on access to the Baker Hotel before it gets redeveloped.

well here was my last place a power plant that only closed April, to be changed from Coal to gas but they had already ripped out most of the turbines

Turbine Hall During Dark
https://fastfall123.trovebox.com/p/eho/token-6ca1f55576

Daytime
https://fastfall123.trovebox.com/p/em8/token-6a07bb9806

control room still connected
https://fastfall123.trovebox.com/p/eid/token-fb1d123a8c

pipe dreams
https://fastfall123.trovebox.com/p/erj/album-4u

Conveyor feed into the plant
https://fastfall123.trovebox.com/p/eng/album-4u

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun