skydivebeauty

Manifest chick??

Hey guys,

I really want to apply for the position of manifest at my home dz. I am 19 years old, female, and B licence. I am really good friends with everyone at my dz, and feel very comfortable there :)
But there are a few things I'm not sure about. . . first, what would be the youngest a manifest chick should be? is 19 ok, or is older better? any qualifications? and any other things I should know or any advice would be great, thanks x

skydivebeauty

Hey guys,

I really want to apply for the position of manifest at my home dz. I am 19 years old, female, and B licence. I am really good friends with everyone at my dz, and feel very comfortable there :)
But there are a few things I'm not sure about. . . first, what would be the youngest a manifest chick should be? is 19 ok, or is older better? any qualifications? and any other things I should know or any advice would be great, thanks x

Don't worry about your age, but do worry about losing friends. A good manifester sometimes has to be stern with folks, and that can alienate you from the crowd.

My daughter was the manifester at my DZ at 14 years old and did a fine job.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

The qualifications are pretty simple: can you learn how to use the manifest software, can you keep track of multiple things at once, can you put up with me asking you what load I'm on or what my call is every ten minutes because I'm a skydiver and we are incapable of remembering this type of information for some reason :P

3mpire

The qualifications are pretty simple: can you learn how to use the manifest software, can you keep track of multiple things at once, can you put up with me asking you what load I'm on or what my call is every ten minutes because I'm a skydiver and we are incapable of remembering this type of information for some reason :P

And are you ready to start herding cats?
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I was 19 when I started working at the manifest as a freelancer (2 to 8 days a month) one and a half year ago, age wasn't that much of a problem for me. It took some of the older skydivers a couple of weeks to start taking me seriously but my young age also meant that I became proficient in working with the software pretty fast.

The hard part is that it can be a very stressful job and everyone blames you for everything that goes wrong (be it long waiting time because it's busy or a weather hold), including your friends. So far I haven't lost any friends over it though, I like doing it and it makes for enough money to at least pay for most of my jumping. :)
"So I jump out, look up, and think 'Oh SHIT!...

It's PINK!!!'"
- army guy after his first staticline jump

skydivebeauty

Hey guys,

I think you should go for it. You've probably built a good rapport with the locals so i don't see a problem.

In other news, you are strikingly BEAUTIFUL!!!! Might I interest you in a date sometime?

And now you know the stunningly witty conversation you can expect to hear...over and over and over and over and over and....wait! I'm not finished! and over and over and over...OK. You get the idea.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

skydivebeauty

Hey guys,

Here is my advice from someone that has done manifest, and a number of other jobs at the DZ part time, don't do it! Unless that is the only way you can figure out how to pay for your skydives, don't. Pack part time, find a sugar daddy, sell plasma, just don't manifest!

Of all the ways on the DZ to make money manifest is the one that will stress you out the most, make you put up with the most bullshit, and keep you the most disconnected from the sky.

Manifest is the least likely to get up in the air for a quick jump. They are the last ones there trying to get the cash drawers to balance after the tandems are gone, and the fun jumpers have already cracked the beers and started having fun.

You deal with the pain in the ass side of tandems. You take their money, listen to them bitching about who gets on the plane with who, bitching about wait time, bitching about this customer getting to go before the but they were here first, bitching about weather. The tandem instructors get all of the awesome side of tandems, the excitement, and the cash.

You will have a line of fun jumpers, a line of tandems, instructors interrupting every time you try to type something in to the system, and the phone will ring every five seconds for some one that lives 5 minutes away, but wants to know what the weather is like.

Manifest can totally poison the excitement of a young 100 200 jump skydiver that is new to the sport.

It has the high responsibility of an operations manager at some complex organization, and the pay worthy of some pimply faced teenager at your local supermarket.

There are some positives, for example it does teach you a lot about the real workings of a drop zone. It teaches you how to multitask under pressure. Good manifesting will get you some recognition with load organizers, and your fellow jumpers. It makes you a more well rounded person around the dz later on especially as staff. If you have manifested, packed tandems, then moved on to instructing I think you understand the overall picture better.

But in general I am a firm believer that manifest should be a position for spouses of dzo/jumpers that don't and won't jump, or local college kids that want to make a buck and like the DZ atmosphere.

Just say no! :|B|:D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

***Hey guys,

Pack part time, find a sugar daddy, sell plasma, just don't manifest!

:|B|:D

SkydiveBeauty,,,i propose that I will be your sugar daddy.

GooniesKid

******Hey guys,

Pack part time, find a sugar daddy, sell plasma, just don't manifest!

:|B|:D

SkydiveBeauty,,,i propose that I will be your sugar daddy.
First, ya gotta have sugar :P
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

frankyblue

If that is your real picture....you are hired.

I figure it is either:
a) Her real picture.
b) Funks is at it again.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

GooniesKid

***I thought GooniesKid was Funks... Well, IS Funks:S

Bro seriously,,,some think i'm a jerk, ahole, troll..but i'm not Funks..i have way too much class

Funks had more class, and creativity, in his hairy right palm, than you do in your whole being!

Your not even going to get an e-date with our newest dz.com female with a pulse.

Unfortunately for you, the drop zone is not a deserted island, and your not the last man on earth. I think the guy that shows up to picks up the cans at the dz for the deposit money has a better chance. :D

The tandem packer with the lazy eye and the "awesome" body odor, better chance.

The video editor, that turned his editing station into a replica of a set from StarTrek Babalon five, and has the awesome back acne.... better chance.

Even the visiting whufo tandem students... better chance!

:ph34r::D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

******I thought GooniesKid was Funks... Well, IS Funks:S

Bro seriously,,,some think i'm a jerk, ahole, troll..but i'm not Funks..i have way too much class

Funks had more class, and creativity, in his hairy right palm, than you do in your whole being!

Your not even going to get an e-date with our newest dz.com female with a pulse.

Unfortunately for you, the drop zone is not a deserted island, and your not the last man on earth. I think the guy that shows up to picks up the cans at the dz for the deposit money has a better chance. :D

The tandem packer with the lazy eye and the "awesome" body odor, better chance.

The video editor, that turned his editing station into a replica of a set from StarTrek Babalon five, and has the awesome back acne.... better chance.

Even the visiting whufo tandem students... better chance!

:ph34r::D

Even the pack smoking LSO with jacked up teeth has a better chance?