skydiverek

22-mile, 36-km jump today, LIVE here:

Just before he exited he pushed the red button outside the capsule, anyone know what that button is for ?

It almost sounded like he pushed it when instructed to turn on the cameras but not sure how that would do it.

Maybe it started the sequence of cutting the capsule away from the balloon ?

The speed of sound is directly proportional to temperature. .

It's directly proportional to the square root of temperature in K.

thank you (but any absolute temperature scale will do - just choose the right gas constant)

deriving that one in college actually was very cool how it simplified - and, of course, that's likely one of the nerdiest things I'll write this decade

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I read the landing site was 43 miles east of the Roswell airport. That was not on the official site, so I can't vouch for its accuracy.

If true, the the spotting and accuracy sucks! :P

C'mon, it's a balloon jump! You get out wherever the balloon has gone, which is wherever the wind has blown you.

The only "spotting" I've ever even heard of out of a balloon is "do you see somewhere we can land?" ;)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

man, I just disoriented that the calculations came out ok. it was a multiple year effort and i cried when the calculations came out ok. Regardless, Felix is the man, my hero, like Joe Kittenger and when I talked to him, it was so cool, like almost talking to Neal Armstrong. I just so astonded it worked. Don't spell check me on this post 'cause second word is missing a 'm.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I am surprised the Cypres was on board with all those extremes in play. Interesting.

Was it off the rack or a custom unit?

I could have been a Military Cypres2.

Sparky

http://www.ssk.us/cypres-2_military_20031231.pdf

But then on checking it wasn't.

http://www.cypres.cc/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=298%3Ared-bull-stratos-und-cypres&catid=27%3Aaktuell&Itemid=75&lang=en
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

If there are any math/physics geeks out there, if Felix masses 200 lb, would he have been appreciably lighter at 128000 feet? I'm guessing just a few ounces, but don't know the formulae.

You considering a new weight-loss plan?:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

If there are any math/physics geeks out there, if Felix masses 200 lb, would he have been appreciably lighter at 128000 feet? I'm guessing just a few ounces, but don't know the formulae.

Mass is a constant (well, depending on how many cheeseburger you eat). Weight is what is affected by gravity.

g, at 128,000 feet would be 9.7m/s2 vs 9.82m/s2 on the ground. So bout 1.22% less weight at altitude.
Remster

Just before he exited he pushed the red button outside the capsule, anyone know what that button is for ?

It almost sounded like he pushed it when instructed to turn on the cameras but not sure how that would do it.

Any insight? I tried to look it up on the web site but no info around this magic button:)

[Edit: looks like I didn't refresh the thread and everyone's been doing the weight calcs, but anyway...]

if Felix masses 200 lb, would he have been appreciably lighter at 128000 feet? I'm guessing just a few ounces, but don't know the formulae.

He'd be a couple pounds lighter.

I calculated the weight decrease from gravity alone to be about 1.2%, for about 39,000m or 128,000 ft altitude. (Ignoring buoyancy effects of the air or the not quite spherical shape of the earth or centrifugal effects.)

That matches with a rough linear rule of thumb I once heard of about 1% decrease in gravity per 100,000 ft.

(Even in lowish earth orbit, say 250 miles up, about 90% of gravity remains. The wikipedia page on Gravity of Earth is helpful.)

Any insight? I tried to look it up on the web site but no info around this magic button:)

The red button was to start the cameras outside the capsule. If you saw when he stepped outside, Kittinger went to the next step on the check list which was "start the cameras" and so he did.

The red button was to start the cameras outside the capsule. If you saw when he stepped outside, Kittinger went to the next step on the check list which was "start the cameras" and so he did.

We already saw him from the outside cameras, BEFORE he pushed the button.

We already saw him from the outside cameras, BEFORE he pushed the button.

Yes, Im aware of that. Im pretty sure there were a few cameras recording all the time, but not nearly all of them. Also the still cameras need to be triggered somehow. One possibility would be to set them shooting continuously once you push the red button.

The capsule had

Nine high-definition cameras
Three 4K (4,000 x 2,000-pixel) digital cinematography cameras
Three high-resolution digital still cameras

So, my guess is that the HD cameras were recording through out the ascent, but the three RED´s and the three stills started operating after pushing the red button.