skydiverek

22-mile, 36-km jump today, LIVE here:

I'll bet Felix sleeps better tonight than he has in years. I've heard he's been having a lot of sleepless nights because of a recurring nightmare of waking up to learn some English bloke with a pile of cardboard boxes beat him to the record.:D

:D:D:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm sure I wasn't the only person to watch this amazing skydive inside a hanger with a bunch of other skydivers. Pretty awesome to watch and share with others. Wasn't anybody interested in manifesting for a little while as that was going on.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I am the aerodynamics scientist on this project. His speeds (once confirmed) matched my calculations. This was like watching a moon landing I'm told. I shed a tear that all the work that went into this project with me (I did a lot less than the rest of the team) actually worked!

Chris Stokely
Physicist
Jumper of some sort or another.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I am the aerodynamics scientist on this project. His speeds (once confirmed) matched my calculations. This was like watching a moon landing I'm told. I shed a tear that all the work that went into this project with me (I did a lot less than the rest of the team) actually worked!

Chris Stokely
Physicist

That's awesome Chris,

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be thrilled to see anything you would want to (and are able to) share with us.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Chris Stokely
Physicist

Physics is Phun.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Chris Stokely
Physicist

Physics is Phun.

Fizzicks is fun?
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

thanks y'all. i shed a tear when I saw him him open his canopy. it was really neat that missile defense knowledge could be applied for something like this. what was really cool was when I talked to Joe Kittenger back in 2010. Joe is my hero. It was like talking to a fellow daredevil - it was awesome!
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

thanks y'all. i shed a tear when I saw him him open his canopy. it was really neat that missile defense knowledge could be applied for something like this. what was really cool was when I talked to Joe Kittinger back in 2010. Joe is my hero. It was like talking to a fellow daredevil - it was awesome!

Thanks for YOUR contribution to the project! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I am surprised the Cypres was on board with all those extremes in play. Interesting.

Was it off the rack or a custom unit?

Ok, I'm probably wrong...

But I seem to remember that he was going to use a mechanical AAD because they didn't trust an electronic one to function properly in the extreme conditions.

And there's really only one mechanical one out there.

Ok, I was wrong.

Specially modified CYPRES2.

http://www.redbullstratos.com/technology/backup-safety-systems/
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The Main and Reserve were from Precision and were 270's. Felix also used a Cypres, L&B products, and his rig was made by Velocity Sports Equipment, makers of the Infinity Harness and Container system. Feel free to send Kelly Farrington a congratulations PM (KellyF).

Hey Gorgeous!B|

Congratulation to the whole Infinity Team at VSE. B|B|

thanks y'all. i shed a tear when I saw him him open his canopy. it was really neat that missile defense knowledge could be applied for something like this. what was really cool was when I talked to Joe Kittenger back in 2010. Joe is my hero. It was like talking to a fellow daredevil - it was awesome!

If you don't mind my asking, what components from the jump came from missile defense systems ? Was it the tracking equipment ? Also, congrats on helping make history !

The Main and Reserve were from Precision and were 270's. Felix also used a Cypres, L&B products, and his rig was made by Velocity Sports Equipment, makers of the Infinity Harness and Container system. Feel free to send Kelly Farrington a congratulations PM (KellyF).

This was a great day!

Did he have audible altimeter??? Would have come useful with that visor fogged up...

It was great to watch the whole thing. I've watched a whole lot of NASA video, and NO ONE has ever looked as fulfilled as Joe Kittenger did being the capcom for this mission.

Congrats on a well-planned, well-run mission. Frankly, I hope Redbull makes a ton of money from it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It was amazing we could watch it live!

But I don't understand oen thing: why Felix said at the press conference that he deployed at 5200ft when during live transmission it was clear he deployed at circa 7000?

Cheers
Rob Gallo
"To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield."

It was amazing we could watch it live!

But I don't understand oen thing: why Felix said at the press conference that he deployed at 5200ft when during live transmission it was clear he deployed at circa 7000?

Cheers

did he deploy is main or the drogue at 7K?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?