skydiverek

22-mile, 36-km jump today, LIVE here:

Probably the capsule too after recovery.

I know that I saw over 700 on the speed before it went out and then he spun but does anyone know what the calculated target speed was supposed to be for Mach 1?

Pretty cool that the Col still holds the longest freefall record.

Hey Felix, you owe :D. Nice work!

It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

I know that I saw over 700 on the speed before it went out and then he spun but does anyone know what the calculated target speed was supposed to be for Mach 1?

I'm curious if he dumped higher than planned due to his faceplate being fogged.

Also wrt freefall time, Kittenger was towing a drogue, so that would have slowed him down a bit and given him more time. I think comparing freefall time between the two is comparing apples and oranges.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Also wrt freefall time, Kittenger was towing a drogue, so that would have slowed him down a bit and given him more time. I think comparing freefall time between the two is comparing apples and oranges.

He did dump early, he was under canopy above 6500ft. The original plan I had heard was dumping at 5k.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

The previous freefall record was held by Eugene Andreev. Kittinger had the longest droguefall.

Wikipedia tells me the speed of sound at 11.000-20.000meters is somewhere around 1062km/h.

So most likely Felix exceeded mach1

I agree, also even though he got out higher,his FF speed would have been high enough to cover that extra distance.

Not taking away from Felix, but it just shows what an incredible achievement JK's jump was, all those years ago when so little was known compared to today.

As you said, comparing the two is unfair on both men.

He was in that spin for quite a while, I didn't think he was going to recover it.....

Awesome jump. That shot from above when he was just about to go gave me goosebumps.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I thought that's why he dumped. Iced or fogged up and could not see alti so dumped. Or after he said that he could not see, they gave him a tone that said PULL.

I concur on the ff time. Belly always gets more time than the HD crowd so it is more of a wuffo stat for the books.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

If I understood correctly he said in freefall: "My visor is smoking as hell" I think he meant "fogging" and that is probably the reason why he pulled early..

He was stable, below 13000ft and good to pull. He knew if he pulls now he is good and can still barely see something and/or flip his visor from here and fly safely to ground.. Just my assumption in this case..

If I understood correctly he said in freefall: "My visor is smoking as hell" I think he meant "fogging" and that is probably the reason why he pulled early..

He was stable, below 13000ft and good to pull. He knew if he pulls now he is good and can still barely see something and/or flip his visor from here and fly safely to ground.. Just my assumption in this case..

He could flip the tinted one, but I don't think he had any option to open the clear one underneath. That was a spacesuit helmet designed to hold pressure.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

What a fantastic jump. My heart stopped when he stepped, while his I bet was racing. I got scared when he went unstable but once he adjusted himself I felt so relieved. I think I was more nervous than he was haha. Glad to have him back on earth safe and sound. The most amazing thing I've seen in my life.

Enjoy.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22681/ohfuck_skydive.gif

Great job, Felix! Way to stick the landing too.B|

Thanks for being such a great representative for our sport.

And thank you, Red Bull, for sponsoring all this. It was quite the bill you folks footed to make this happen. B|

Yup...and in light of the MONSTER effort, I think I'll have a BEER to toast them!

:P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I was watching the live stream on my phone so I didn't get the audio:(

Did anyone hear why he went unstable for a while? I was starting to worry there for a second until he got stable again.

Also, I wouldn't worry to much about the bill. From what I understand, a lot of the notes and any new technology they developed along the way will be sold to various space agencies to help develop or improve escape mechanisms for astronauts....B|

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

And thank you, Red Bull, for sponsoring all this. It was quite the bill you folks footed to make this happen. B|

Oh dont worry. They managed to pull of one the biggest single marketing campains in the world and it was a success. They will get their money back x 10 times. Its not like they were doing this for charity.

Hi Rich,

I KNEW I should have snuck a Tsunami Skydivers sticker onto the gondola!

And I'll bet the folks who build the Infinity see and uptick in sales.

Great job all around.

I stopped by my son's place and it was on; Col. Joe was on about Check #13 when I started watching.

JerryBaumchen

I'll bet Felix sleeps better tonight than he has in years. I've heard he's been having a lot of sleepless nights because of a recurring nightmare of waking up to learn some English bloke with a pile of cardboard boxes beat him to the record.:D