rifleman

7 days smoke free and counting.

At the warehouse I worked at, a forklift truck collided with some of the racking and dumped about 2000 bags of kitty litter onto the ground from 40 feet up. The resulting dust cloud filled the warehouse for about 45 minutes and everybody ended up with the stuff in their eyes, mouth and nose.

Plus when you do chemical decontamination drills in the british Army you get fullers earth everywhere and you can taste it for hours afterwards.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

Whether you quit or not is entirely up to you! If you've gone this long, what's another day? ....and another? ...then another? You're stronger than you realize. Just know that you never, ever have to light up another one. Ever.

I quit 2 yrs ago last May 20, after >25 years of that nasty ass habit. The first week is the hardest. You've got that under your belt.

Just be careful substituting eating and/or sweets for smoking. I chunked up about 30 lbs! :$ I've lost 20 of it...and am still still working the rest off little by little....

I'd wish you luck, but you don't need it. Just resolve yourself to NOT ever light up another one, not matter what half assed excuse you might have....

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

rifleman

It's 7 days since I gave up smoking - my throat hurts, I'm coughing like a loon and my mouth tastes like the inside of a litter box. Hopefully it's going to get better over the next seven days.

Hey! If you quit smoking, guess what: you have done what is widely considered the hardest accomplishment of one's life

You can do it, there are a lot of advantages. Your health and your wallet being the most pressing.

3 packs of cigs = 1 or so jumps.

10 packs in NYC would buy you a nice altimeter ;)
You are not the contents of your wallet.

I am now 8 months smoke free. I do have an e-cig for when I have a bad day, but I used chantix for a week...just to get the the point where ciggarettes tasted bad and then went cold turkey for 4 months after that. If I can do it so can you.

and chantix might work...but damn do the side effects suck ass.

I used the patch to get off of cigarettes…….used cigars to get off the patch……used a pipe to get off the cigars. I then used crack to get off the pipe. I am pretty much tobacco free. B|

Hang in there, it will get easier.

Sparky

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Couldn't use chantix as I had a severe bout of depression 5 years ago and my doctor advised against it, so I had to go cold turkey. Didn't see any point in using NRT as I'd just be swapping one form of nicotine for another,
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

You have the most important thing -- a real desire to continue your status of ex-smoker.

You are no longer a smoker -- that's really cool.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

congrats and keep it up.
its been almost 2.5 years for me, and holy shit, i am SICKENED with cigarettes, they are the most disgusting thing in the world. i have tried to take a puff here and there, and simply cannot do it anymore. you are well on your way to getting to that point. keep rocking

now if i could just quit binge drinking.......sigh
gravity brings me down.........

rifleman

Officially made it to 14 days without a smoke. I'm still coughing crap off my lungs and I appear to have pulled a muscle in my shoulder because of all the coughing but have started jogging again.

Hi rifleman,
Good job!! I put the smokes down a long time ago, like when LPH-5 pulled into port back from 'Nam in DEC68. I had made up my mind that when we got back to the States I was going to quit smoking. Last smoke I had was on the ship before I walked off the gangplank onto the dock. That was "The dividing line!" From here onward you have to see smoking as part of your past, not your future!! Carry on!

PS, The tough part is putting up with all the "second hand smoke" ya' run into!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

As an aside, if any of you are having a lot of coughing, you should talk to your doctor. I've given a few patients some albuterol inhalers (like the asthmatics have) and a few have come back saying it really helps. You'll cough just a bit more at first but you'll clear a lot of junk. Remember you have however many years of tar as you smoked in your lungs and those cillia have been dormant since your smoking started.

But guess what...
1) you have done what most say is one of the hardest things a human can do (nicotine is one of the most addicting chemicals available to us and also the behavioural component of smoking is near impossible to beat.)
2) Its only going to get a little better every day, it doesnt get worse now that you quit :)

Keep your head up. I'm proud of anyone who quits smoking!

Phillbo

I quit on Y2K. I made a pact with a friend that if the world did not come to an end I'd quit. Stupid world :)

Weight gain is a part of the process I think because your metabolism slows down without the nicotine.

That and people substitute food for the behaviour (nictone doesnt have a huge metabolism effect but it does suppress appetite. ) That and I've heard a lot of smokers go on eating binges because they can actually taste food!