JohnMitchell

Boston for a week. What's some good side trips?

JohnMitchell

Valinda and I will be in Boston for a week, staying with our daughter. I'd like to take a 2-3 day side trip, somewhere within a few hours of Boston, either by car or train. Any suggestions?

NYC if it wasnt mentioned.

Few hours on a train and you dont need to rent a car. I suggest you cancel the Boston part of your trip all together and have your daughter visit you in NYC. It is the only city that matters and an obvious must see.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

normiss

You couldn't force me at gun point to give up seeing the beautiful New England area for NYC.
blech.
:S

yea, NYC is boring. No one ever visits here. nothing to do at all. its not a relevant place at all.

if he coming from out of town and been to Boston numerous times, NYC would be a great trip. He can see pretty tree's where ever he is from. He can only see NYC by visiting NYC.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

DrDom

[Portsmouth, even head upward to Maine. I like Portsmouth for its bars and nightlife, as well as some of the shopping.
or you can take it to Portland ME as well. If you're into Lobster that's a good place to go

Portsmouth is on the short list. You just moved it up a notch or two. Thanks. :)

Sport Related... SkyDive New England is about 2 hours from Boston, Pepperel is about 45 minutes and Skydive Orange is about an hour. The Wind Tunnel is just under an hour at SkyVenture

No jumping on this trip and doing 30 minutes at iFlySeattle tomorrow. Maybe next trip.

oh, if you're in Boston there are also Whale Watches (I cant remember when peak season is), and this time of year Salem, MA really picks up for the museums and touristy stuff.

Got whales out here too, and did Salem twice. Last time I got a parking ticket for 10 minutes over on a meter. Never going to that town again. :P:D

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking Portsmouth, ME.

JohnMitchell

***[Portsmouth, even head upward to Maine. I like Portsmouth for its bars and nightlife, as well as some of the shopping.
or you can take it to Portland ME as well. If you're into Lobster that's a good place to go

Portsmouth is on the short list. You just moved it up a notch or two. Thanks. :)

Sport Related... SkyDive New England is about 2 hours from Boston, Pepperel is about 45 minutes and Skydive Orange is about an hour. The Wind Tunnel is just under an hour at SkyVenture

No jumping on this trip and doing 30 minutes at iFlySeattle tomorrow. Maybe next trip.

oh, if you're in Boston there are also Whale Watches (I cant remember when peak season is), and this time of year Salem, MA really picks up for the museums and touristy stuff.

Got whales out here too, and did Salem twice. Last time I got a parking ticket for 10 minutes over on a meter. Never going to that town again. :P:D

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking Portsmouth, ME.

Portsmouth is in NH, sorry for the confusion (and a bit closer than Maine!)

You can stand in the center of Portsmouth and you're within earshot of a HUGE group of excellent restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and local flavour shopping. If you're there on weened nights and like house music (which I do) you should drop by a place called The Red Door. It is very much a place you could walk right by, but has some great local DJ's (I've played there before) and the drinks are top notch.

Not sure if its the same your way but if you're a night owl the spots have last call usually 1-130 and close the bars by 2. They dont do that in NYC or Reno (the other places I've lived).
You are not the contents of your wallet.

flyhi

How about one of the islands; the Vineyard or Nantucket?

The eastern tip of Long Island isn't far, either. The Hamptons and Montauk Point aren't too bad.

Yes you can come see me Who wouldn't want that :P

You can take the ferry from New London its an 1:20 trip. To oraint point. Then you have two 5 min ferrys one to shelter island which would be a fun place, and the 2nd takes you too sag harbor 11963 if you want to map it.

IN MA you always have Jumptown which is always a fun place to go.

Have fun on your trip
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

JohnMitchell

Oops, yeah. We're thinking about getting away from it all in PortLAND, ME. But Portsmouth, NH sounds okay too.

I love Portland, and I think you guys will too.

If youre here soon you'll be in some lovely fall weather with beautiful foliage (looked nice on the way to the DZ today, and from 10,000!)

Added: you could also go to Mt Washington. I wouldnt hike it, the weather is GNARLY and unpredictable in fall, 80mph winds 2 days ago, clear and calm yesterday. GO figure. But you can drive it for the view (or.. hike if youre daring... I wouldnt).

Portsmouth, NH sort of has the "blink and you'll miss it" quality to it - especially compared to Portland, ME which is small in its own right (as I write from the tourist metropolis of, um, Tampa). But, better bars, good craft breweries.

North NH will be beyond peak season if you're in the mood to leaf peep.

I second (or third) the trip to Rockport, MA. The little fishing shack in the harbor is so iconic that its name is "Motif #1" for goodness sake!

JohnMitchell

***Chicago

Cool. Lemme google map that. :)
Just be sure to get Blues Brothers outfits for yourself and Valinda and find a shit box ex-cop car to race through Chicago.

:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Thanks for the advice from all. Turns out we were so busy visiting with our daughter and her boyfriend we didn't really have the time or inclination to take off for a day or two.

It's been a great visit with fantastic weather, super warm and dry for this late in the year. Only disappointment was dropping by to see the USS Constitution again and finding the gates locked, of course. [:/] Other than that, the apple picking, the NIN show, Redbone's Barbecue and everything else we did with the kids was super fun. In fact, we've kind of got a list for what to do NEXT time we visit. :)
Flying home tonight, back to the grind.:D

JohnMitchell

Thanks for the advice from all. Turns out we were so busy visiting with our daughter and her boyfriend we didn't really have the time or inclination to take off for a day or two.

It's been a great visit with fantastic weather, super warm and dry for this late in the year. Only disappointment was dropping by to see the USS Constitution again and finding the gates locked, of course. [:/] Other than that, the apple picking, the NIN show, Redbone's Barbecue and everything else we did with the kids was super fun. In fact, we've kind of got a list for what to do NEXT time we visit. :)
Flying home tonight, back to the grind.:D

Stupid government shutdown ruined everything. The USS Constitution is pretty awesome. When you get back you have to check it out!