ryoder

How to get school kids enthused about the class trip

ryoder

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/30/high-school-beer-brewing-class-draws-controversy/
B|

On the down side, kids still won't know how actual beer is brewed.
[:/]

"A teacher at Ralston Valley High School in Arvada is asking 15-year-old biology students to study the beer brewing process as part of a lesson on alcoholic fermentation, KDVR.com reported.

The teacher also reportedly offered students extra credit if they toured the Coors Brewery, which has upset some parents who are worried the assignment sends mixed messages."

But I bet some of these parents don't care of their kids are watching that meth lab show Breaking Bad. :S
Always be kinder than you feel.

Sauerkraut, kimchi, cheese, pickles... why not have them ferment something they can actually consume (legally)? Seems like a teacher who wanted to create a stir...
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I don't see the problem. Seems like the parents are the ones trying to create a stir.

I would be impressed if my kid took initiative for extra credit to go, on his own, to tour a brewery, then spent $100's of his own money to order home-brew equipment and spend a few months brewing alcohol, that probably would taste like crap the first few times. If you have a problem with that then you should check your parenting priorities.

Pff. I was fermenting stuff in my closet at that age. I made a fermentation lock with some surgical tubing. Everything else you need could be had at the grocery store -- empty milk container, active dry baking yeast, welshes grape juice and about a pound of sugar! It tasted like crap but you don't give a damn when you're 15. Plus I've had "organic" wines that tasted worse.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I toured the Coors Brewery when I was 10. It was really interesting, I did learn a lot about the fermentation process (though not actually how to make beer!), and it was fun. They had root beer for the kids in the tasting room. This sounds like a good teacher showing children a practical application for a lesson.

Nightingale

I toured the Coors Brewery when I was 10. It was really interesting, I did learn a lot about the fermentation process (though not actually how to make beer!), and it was fun. They had root beer for the kids in the tasting room. This sounds like a good teacher showing children a practical application for a lesson.

And with a topic that they may have a little more interest in rather than bloody sauerkraut :ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?