GogglesnTeeth

Hate Halloween??? Tired of Greedy teenagers???

Ok, I'm ranting.... feel free to move along if you think I am all wrong.

I live in a neighborhood that people drop their kids off at and let them run the streets trick-or-treating till 9pm or later. Last year, there were approx. 3000 kids roaming my neighborhood and more than 50 at a time in my drive-way at once.

My kids of course will be trick-or-treating here, so I have to hand out candy too.... but this is ridiculous!

I will have two signs in my yard that read "No Costume, No Candy!" And yes, that will be inforced for all except little kids that may not have the money for a costume. I'm not a total ass!

Thoughts!
>:(>:(>:(>:(
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

Haven't seen any un-costumed trick-or-treaters here and no one much over 9. We usually get about 50-60 people. Co-worker of mine lives on the far end of the neighborhood and says she hardly sees anyone, but I'm right next to a school so I think it's driving some of that traffic.

Might put the wingsuit on and sit out for a couple hours tonight!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

GogglesnTeeth

Ok, I'm ranting.... feel free to move along if you think I am all wrong.

I live in a neighborhood that people drop their kids off at and let them run the streets trick-or-treating till 9pm or later. Last year, there were approx. 3000 kids roaming my neighborhood and more than 50 at a time in my drive-way at once.

My kids of course will be trick-or-treating here, so I have to hand out candy too.... but this is ridiculous!

I will have two signs in my yard that read "No Costume, No Candy!" And yes, that will be inforced for all except little kids that may not have the money for a costume. I'm not a total ass!

Thoughts!
>:(>:(>:(>:(

Age limit as well, please.

Anything over 12 gets turned away.>:(
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I was once on a 30 mile cycling ride, and returned after dark, (running head/tail lights). As I came back into my neighborhood, there were trick-or-treaters all safely on sidewalks, all wearing easy-to-see costumes.:)
Then I almost ran over one of their dumbass adult chaperones, who darted across the street right in front of me, wearing all-dark clothing.:S>:(

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

promise5

Where's the "hey it's all in fun" option? It's only once a year and I don't care if teens come through I really don't,I mean big kids like candy too.

I remember watching a few teens running around bag snatching. I hated Halloween after that.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

I haven't given out candy in years, but when I did I always had two baskets to hand out from.

The little kids in costume would get the "good stuff" basket - Mini-chocolate bars, the bigger packs of hard candy, that sort of thing.

The teenagers without costumes would get the micro packs of candy corn. Or one Hershey's Kiss.

I would sometimes get a "Is that all?" look. I'd look them in the eye and say "You sure put a lot of effort into that costume, didn't you."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

I haven't given out candy in years, but when I did I always had two baskets to hand out from.

The little kids in costume would get the "good stuff" basket - Mini-chocolate bars, the bigger packs of hard candy, that sort of thing.

The teenagers without costumes would get the micro packs of candy corn. Or one Hershey's Kiss.

I would sometimes get a "Is that all?" look. I'd look them in the eye and say "You sure put a lot of effort into that costume, didn't you."

I remember when the biggest worry was razor blades in the apples we used to get.

Now it's anthrax.

We don't get trick or treaters on my street. Never have, not once in 13 years. It's a bad street for that activity.

However, a friend of mine used to set up an air compressor hidden near the front door and when trick or treaters approached the door, they tripped a sensor and got a shocking blast of air from a hose through a bed sheet. You never saw kids flee so fast. :D:D:D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

wolfriverjoe

I have asked the teenagers what there costume is when they show up without one... if they don't have a good answer other than "I'm a school kid..." they are dismissed without candy.

I had to nearly slap a wrist on a kid that just reached into the bowl last year.... I'm sure that is ground for assault charges from a law-suit happy mom. I hate crowds, I dislike greedy teenage kids that think they are entitled to everything in life, including to half the candy bowl. Maybe I shouldn't be the one handing out the candy at my house... but nobody else will with the wife taking the kids for grubbing of their own.

Last year and probably this year, some of the candy we will be handing out will be left over from last years from my kids!

Yes, I'm a scrooge, but it has just gone too far!
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

turtlespeed

I remember when the biggest worry was razor blades in the apples we used to get.

Now it's anthrax.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/halloween.asp
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

shropshire

Ghastly 'tradition' and becoming more common over here too (boooo.:S) and likely to scare the old folks in this neighbourhood.

A few years ago a load of the local youth - 16 and up! - were doing this in my parents village and were getting quite nasty too.

I prepared some of the Flying saucers for them one halloween...

For our American chums those are sugar paper discs with sherbert in the middle.
http://www.britishsweets.com.au/Flying-Saucers-20-Pack

The only difference is that I took them all apart and replaced the sherbert with baking soda and a little cayenne pepper. :ph34r:
Admittedly, I had to hose the vomit off the drive the next morning, but watching these guys walk away frothing at the mouth like rabid dogs after stuffing their faces was totally worth it. They've never come back for some reason. :D:D

NWFlyer

Now it's anthrax.

Yeah . . I guess I didn't insert my tongue into my cheek far enough for you to see it.:P

turtlespeed

Now it's anthrax.

Yeah . . I guess I didn't insert my tongue into my cheek far enough for you to see it.:P

We really do need a sarcasm font. :P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A friend just posted this on Facebook: "I just had about 7 kids show up without costumes. Next year I need a LOT more Necco wafers!"

Necco wafers. Yes, that is definitely candy-based punishment!

Remster

Or, move to Tucson. We don't let kids in town.

HA, I wish. Talk about sealing the deal to keep me in the Old Pueblo forever!

In my neighborhood (Marana) there aren't many kids, so I'm not expecting enough business to make it worthwhile. So, no lights on and shades are drawn for us.

I'll be working on my bagpiping in a bit. If that ghastly noise doesn't convince the neighborhood that the joint is haunted, I don't know what will...

Elvisio "plus I'd just eat all the candy before they got here anyhow" Rodriguez

NWFlyer

A friend just posted this on Facebook: "I just had about 7 kids show up without costumes. Next year I need a LOT more Necco wafers!"

Necco wafers. Yes, that is definitely candy-based punishment!

Neccos, I love that! Make sure they're not the multi-flavor roll. Pure licorice--That's the ticket. >:(
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Not a big load so far this year. It's definitely feeling the effects of being a Thursday night I think. So far the best one was a little zombie cheerleader who growled at me and stepped up on the doorstep. I hope more people show up or I'm going to be stuck with $38 worth of Robin's Chocolates salted caramels! But I'm going to the DZ tomorrow so I can always just leave them there.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?