Nataly

Problems with sleep?

I never really had trouble sleeping when I was in the Army but just of late I seem to be getting more and more nights where I wake up in a cold sweat after half an hour asleep (I can drop off in minutes) and then I probably get less than 3 hours sleep per night.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

rifleman

I never really had trouble sleeping when I was in the Army but just of late I seem to be getting more and more nights where I wake up in a cold sweat after half an hour asleep (I can drop off in minutes) and then I probably get less than 3 hours sleep per night.

Menopause? :P:P:P
Always be kinder than you feel.

rifleman

Nightmares - including some from when I initially joined the reserves in '85. 17 years old and I'm helping the emergency services pull 56 badly burned bodies out of the remains of a soccer stadium.

I had a lot of nightmares when I was a little kid. Learned lucid dreaming as a defensive mechanism. The trick seems to be to get in the habit of asking yourself several times a day if what you're experiencing right now is real or a dream. I find good ways to test are to snap my fingers, knock on something solid or try to read something. Sooner or later the answer to the question will be yes, you are dreaming right now. Once you realize that, you can try to take control of the dream. The first few times you do this the experience may be so surprising that you wake up immediately, but eventually you get the hang of it (Or at least I did.)

Once you get to that point, you have some options. You can wake yourself up immediately if it's going really badly, but you can also change the course of the dream. Once I stood up to the creatures in my dreams a couple of times, the nightmares stopped coming so much, but I retained the ability to control my dreams. After a while I got out of the habit of checking so often, but I haven't had anything like the nightmares of my youth in decades either.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Nataly

Yep. Routine should help. And no stimulation. Really should do that.

Good advice :)

No sleeping with a friend, eh?[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

rifleman

Nightmares - including some from when I initially joined the reserves in '85. 17 years old and I'm helping the emergency services pull 56 badly burned bodies out of the remains of a soccer stadium.

OMG... I'm sorry I tried to make a joke out of it. I don't know how anyone wouldn't be affected long term by that carnage. :(

No need to be sorry - you weren't to know. I've kind of got used to the lack of sleep and the nightmares seem to come in cycles. Some nights it's the stadium fire, others it's Northern Ireland, Kuwait or Bosnia. I'll have the nightmares for a week or two then maybe nothing for a couple of months and then the whole thing starts again.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

I have gone through raging periods of insomnia in my life. Here's what I've found:

1) Ambien
This can be a highly addicted drug.
Using my Zeo, you get very little deep sleep with this.
Use this as a last resort.

2) Lifestyle
No alcohol, and hard workouts.
This works great.

3) GABA
Natural amino acid.
Ambien activates these brain receptors.
Just give your body this instead.
http://www.amazon.com/GNC-GABA-750-Capsules-90/dp/B001KYO4WA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383490948&sr=8-4&keywords=GABA+750

Good luck,
We are all engines of karma

quade

Are you familiar with John and Martha King?

I fucking dare anyone to watch their series on instrument ground school topics and not fall asleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMBVJ_oEJRg

I never managed to make it all the way thru the Racer packing DVD, but yes, the King DVD's do a pretty good job as well. Sporty's not much better.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Tink1717

I retired from the fire dept and got off of night shift. Once I got on a regular day light schedule, I was able to get off the sleep/wake drugs and everything sorted itself out. Chopping the job was the biggest part of it though.

I did do shift work back in my military days, but not for a long time now. That said, I don't have a regular routine for getting to sleep. The only thing that is consistent is the difficulty in getting to sleep or staying asleep. Probably would get a whole lot better if I did have consitent habits.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

In my case, it was also the relief from being completely burned out in the fire dept. I had been ready to go for years when I finally left. I'd suggest you identify the biggest stressor in your life and go after that.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

quade

Are you familiar with John and Martha King?

I fucking dare anyone to watch their series on instrument ground school topics and not fall asleep.

Yes, but that's nothing. I fell asleep during "The Empire Strikes Back" and during "Pirates of the Caribbean".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***Are you familiar with John and Martha King?

Yes, but that's nothing. I fell asleep during "The Empire Strikes Back" and during "Pirates of the Caribbean".

We can't help it if you have narcolepsy. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

kallend

******Ambien CR

Scariest medication I've ever taken. Seriously.

So? You're a skydiver aren't you?

Yeah.... but.... one night having an hour long effed up phone conversation that I have no recollection of and also another night waking at some point during the night, I guess thinking I still couldn't sleep and taking more without any recollection or reason was a recipe for me ending up on an ash dive as the guest of honor. I live alone and worried terribly about what I could do while under it's influence. Flushed the remainder down the toilet. :S

Tink1717

In my case, it was also the relief from being completely burned out in the fire dept. I had been ready to go for years when I finally left. I'd suggest you identify the biggest stressor in your life and go after that.

Funny, a lot of people have said this... Can't really think of any specific stress or even a general source of anxiety. Although worth investigating for sure - won't cost anything!!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

LuckyMcSwervy

*********Ambien CR

Scariest medication I've ever taken. Seriously.

So? You're a skydiver aren't you?

Yeah.... but.... one night having an hour long effed up phone conversation that I have no recollection of and also another night waking at some point during the night, I guess thinking I still couldn't sleep and taking more without any recollection or reason was a recipe for me ending up on an ash dive as the guest of honor. I live alone and worried terribly about what I could do while under it's influence. Flushed the remainder down the toilet. :S

yeesh... :S:S This is the sort of thing I *don't* want to experience... Besides, I'm not a huge fan of drugs in general. Seems to me a lot of people take drugs that treat symptoms and not the root cause(s)... Wherever possible, I'd prefer to treat the source of the problem.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss