linebckr83

Pulled Through Side of Fuselage

I few years back I saw an old photo (black and white I believe) of a jump airplane after someone had a premature deployment in the airplane and was pulled out through the fuselage. Anyone know what I'm talking about, and where to find it? A few google searches turned up empty for me.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

The 182 from which I made my first jumps had a replacement panel just aft of the door which was still zinc-chromate colored. When I asked about it, they confirmed my suspicions.:o

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I can't find my copy of Poynter's book (Skydiving Handbook), but I think there may be a pic of a 182 with that kind of damage in there. Maybe not ...might have been in a different publication. IIRC, I've seen pictures of at least 2 different Cessnas with the side ripped out by a jumper.

Yes, I know the pic you are talking about. The side of the 182 is torn open from the door frame back to the back of the passenger compartment.

It's in the "Skydiver's Handbook" IIRC.

I can't find it with a Google search, can't find it searching here either.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

muff528

I can't find my copy of Poynter's book (Skydiving Handbook), but I think there may be a pic of a 182 with that kind of damage in there. Maybe not ...might have been in a different publication. IIRC, I've seen pictures of at least 2 different Cessnas with the side ripped out by a jumper.

I believe it's in the first volume of the Poynters parachute manual.

When I get home I'll try to scan it if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

peek

I keep a copy of the original Parachutist article here:

http://www.skydivestlouisarea.com/instruction/C206_torndoor.jpg

Found the book. It is Poynter's "Parachuting, the Skydiver's Handbook", 5th Edition. It has this same picture but the caption says the jumper survived. http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=8126 says fatal.

Ive got it at the house in a book. B&W photo about 4x5 of N34621.

You can have the book if you want it.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

I have known of 3 instances where that's happened in C-182's and has resulted in the lost of the entire aircraft. In the C206 with the utility door, the control cables to the ailerons run up the front of the door frame. On the C182, they run up the back of the door frame. Tearing out the back of a C182's door disables the ailerons, resulting in a very hard to control aircraft. In each instance with which I'm familiar, the pilots used their reserves to bail out safely.

Not sure if it was that exact aircraft but the same thing happened to a good friend of mine some years back. I started a thread in History and Trivia to try and get some background info for his 70th birthday.

Thread is http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4331758;#4331758

From the stories I have been told he is very lucky to be alive and the pilot managed to land the plane.