thrillstalker

malfunctions list

popsjumper gave this list to me in my fjc. a buddy wanted to review it so i typed him up one, and figured i'd throw it up one here because it helped tremendously when i was a student.

edited to add: andy all i changed was the decision altitude and the pcit
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Hey,

That looks like a decent list, but the one I disagree with is the 'two canopies out' scenario. I was taught in my FJC, a million years ago, to check first that the risers for the main and reserve were clean and not entangled.

Do it automatically without checking, and you're liable to be cutting a ball of shit into your reserve, or CREATING a ball of shit out of your reserve, and then you're REALLY fucked.

But that's just me.
PULL!! or DIE!!

i'm not understanding your post. are you saying it is better to land a downplane than cut it away if the risers are tangled?

out of the three scenarios the only mention of a cutaway was the downplane, i do not know of a better alternative than cutting away.

I liked that list too. Got a spare copy in my gearbag for occasional review.

And I'm also wondering what the above poster is referring to w.r.t. the downplane scenario. Even if the risers are entangled, what other option is there?
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

I'm saying that's not automatically what I'd do. After some thought I have an idea what I might try to do if I found they were entangled and I had some time and altitude, but I'd talk to an instructor first about what YOU should do.

If you cutaway when the risers are entangled, there's a chance the main could entangle the reserve, and then you're in BIG trouble.
PULL!! or DIE!!

The list comes out all disjointed when I opened it. Is it doing that for anyone else?

Are you using a comp or a phone? It comes up all out of whack when I view it on my iphone.
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

I understand why you added to the PCIT.
Why the change to Decision Altitude?

see SIM Cat A G 3

Keep in mind, this list was created mainly for FJC and A-license jumpers.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hey,

That looks like a decent list, but the one I disagree with is the 'two canopies out' scenario. I was taught in my FJC, a million years ago, to check first that the risers for the main and reserve were clean and not entangled.

Do it automatically without checking, and you're liable to be cutting a ball of shit into your reserve, or CREATING a ball of shit out of your reserve, and then you're REALLY fucked.

But that's just me.

Agreed: Doing it automatically without checking is rarely a good idea.

We teach according to the USPA SIM. With respect to two canopies out, this is what it says:

2. Both parachutes deployed:

a. Biplane
(1) Do not cut away.
(2) Steer the front canopy gently using toggles or
leave the brakes stowed and steer by pulling
on the rear risers.
(3) Leave the brakes stowed on the back canopy.
(4) Make a parachute landing fall on landing.

b. Side-by-side (two alternatives)
-side-by-side alternative one
If the two canopies are not tangled, cut away
and fly the reserve to a safe landing.

-side-by-side alternative two
(1) Steer the dominant (larger) canopy gently using toggles or leave the brakes stowed and steer by pulling on the rear risers.
(2) Leave the brakes stowed on the other canopy.
(3) Make a parachute landing fall on landing.

c. Downplane:
(1) Cut away the main canopy.

The list comes out all disjointed when I opened it. Is it doing that for anyone else?

Are you using a comp or a phone? It comes up all out of whack when I view it on my iphone.

It's out of sequence on my desktop too, but then again I have really old 'software'. :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

There is a rare chance that the reserve bag passed through the main lines, either the line on one side or between the risers and line groups but about the slider. In this case cutting the main away will cause the main, as it leaves, to choke off and close the reserve. This might clear successfully or might not. It might mean that instead of two open canopies flying toward the ground you have no open canopies falling toward the ground. Neither is a good situation. BTW this applies to any two out situation.

I have heard of people steering a downplane back into a side by side but I doubt that I could figure that out before impact. And identifiying this situation in the air my not be easy.

It's a bad day all around.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

There is a better alternative for the horseshoe.

which is?

i put this up here for people to learn, including me. an explanation would be helpful.

Unsuccessful, disconnect rsl, cutaway, grab and rip three rings loose, pitching them back and deploy reserve
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

There is a better alternative for the horseshoe.

which is?

i put this up here for people to learn, including me. an explanation would be helpful.

Unsuccessful, disconnect rsl, cutaway, grab and rip three rings loose, pitching them back and deploy reserve

Disconnecting the RSL is only needed when you have across-connector style RSL ala. Racer.

With most other RSL configurations, it is a waste of time and altitude.

Rob, please expand.

If one does not disconnect the rsl and frees the risers, how far back is the riser going with the connected RSL... or are you saying that its free enough for the reserve to punch thru the Horseshoe?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Racer RSLs are cross-connector style. they attached to the bottom of both risers and are routed UNDER the reserve ripcord housing. When you cutaway, the RSL pulls on the reserve ripcord housing until it splits (at the top of the shoulder), then it pulls on the ripcord cable until the pins pull free of the closing loops and the top part of the ripcord housing.
Then the RSL flies away from the container.

If you cutaway from a two-out, there is a risk that the RSL might choke off the reserve canopy as it leaves.

It's an OK list but a little bit simplistic. For example - pilot chute hesitation and PC in tow. You think you have one before you know you have the other in many cases.

Also line-over. I know of cases where the line-over is flying straight, often on larger more docile canopies, the canopy is still flying relatively straight - what hapened to trying to fix the problem?

Broken brake line - land on risers?

I suppose for FJC students it could help and I imagine that is the target audience but I would hope those who have printed a copy for their gear bag are taking advice from their instructors and not just in this list. The most important things in this list IMO should be (with exception of 2 out):

Remain altitude aware
Identify issue
Attempt to fix if possible
Chop at decision altitude if not fixed.

You could probably write that on your hand and that way you wouldn't need it in your gear bag and could take it up into the sky with you...;)

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

It's an OK list but a little bit simplistic.

Yes, simple is key for new jumpers. Keep in mind who and what the list is for.

And yes, there is continuing education going on. It's not a list to end all lists.

It's an OK list but a little bit simplistic. For example - pilot chute hesitation and PC in tow. You think you have one before you know you have the other in many cases.

Also line-over. I know of cases where the line-over is flying straight, often on larger more docile canopies, the canopy is still flying relatively straight - what hapened to trying to fix the problem?

Broken brake line - land on risers?

I suppose for FJC students it could help and I imagine that is the target audience but I would hope those who have printed a copy for their gear bag are taking advice from their instructors and not just in this list. The most important things in this list IMO should be (with exception of 2 out):

Remain altitude aware
Identify issue
Attempt to fix if possible
Chop at decision altitude if not fixed.

You could probably write that on your hand and that way you wouldn't need it in your gear bag and could take it up into the sky with you...;)

the list is a great way to review ep's and it helped me to put them into my memory and be able to recall them without thinking. it is not the be all end all, but defiantly is a safety and training tool.

sorry for the can o worms andy;)

guess i was lucky, i was pretty much taught, whatever doesnt look or feel right, cutaway, that's what you have your reserve for after all..

well, not really, but basically, yes..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

It's out of sequence on my desktop too, but then again I have really old 'software'. :ph34r:

That's because .docx is 2007 WORD format which older WORD versions cannot read.
A nice workaround that should also work on rather old computers is to install OpenOffice Not only is it completely free, but it also isn't that much hungry on RAM (no, not the canopy-related meaning...) and can handle the latest M$ office formats.

And to the OP: Nice one, will share it with the guy who's doing FJC here at my DZ. It's always nice to have such a short, neat compilation handy...
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

That's because .docx is 2007 WORD format which older WORD versions cannot read.
A nice workaround that should also work on rather old computers is to install OpenOffice Not only is it completely free, but it also isn't that much hungry on RAM (no, not the canopy-related meaning...) and can handle the latest M$ office formats.

And to the OP: Nice one, will share it with the guy who's doing FJC here at my DZ. It's always nice to have such a short, neat compilation handy...

I recommend OpenOffice to lots of people BUT there is another solution for those that want to use MS Office
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy