shropshire

Hollywood really are shits .. [shock]

So, I'm up late last night sinking a couple of beers and a film comes on that sounds interesting "Rescue Dawn" about a downed pilot in Laos ..... anyway it wasn't brilliant and the central character as in most films is the 'Hero' and everyone else either pathetic or otherwise hanging on ..... so I googled it and found out the True Story was surprisingly COMPLETELY different!!!.. could even be called libelous, was certainly disingenuous to the other REAL folks who took part.

Why is the film industry populated by a bunch of twats? And why do 'we' let them get away with such crimes against the Truth?

What other examples of this do you know of?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

U-571 where they show the Americans recovering the enigma machine, when it was the British warship HMS Bulldog.

And they were planning to do a film called the few which would focus on an American airman called Billy Friske who flew for the RAF in the Battle of Britain. In reality he didn't shoot down any Germans and had no impact on the Battle over that summer in 1940 - but Hollywood planned to show him single handedly winning the Battle for us.....

Yes we would have been fucked if American hadn't joined in but that doesn't mean America did it all, I think the American public can appreciate a film that doesn't star Americans as the heroes!!

shropshire

So, I'm up late last night sinking a couple of beers and a film comes on that sounds interesting "Rescue Dawn" about a downed pilot in Laos ..... anyway it wasn't brilliant and the central character as in most films is the 'Hero' and everyone else either pathetic or otherwise hanging on ..... so I googled it and found out the True Story was surprisingly COMPLETELY different!!!.. could even be called libelous, was certainly disingenuous to the other REAL folks who took part.

Why is the film industry populated by a bunch of twats? And why do 'we' let them get away with such crimes against the Truth?

What other examples of this do you know of?

Backintothesky

..... I think the American public can appreciate a film that doesn't star Americans as the heroes!!

Hey! I appreciate James Bond, Jackie Chan, LOTR, The Pink Panther, Crocodile Dundee, The Man from Snowy River, Harry Potter, Dr. Strangelove, King Soloman's Mines (the Stewart Granger one), and the Day the Earth Stood Still. Probably some others, too.

As an EOD Tech, I had serious issues with "The Hurt Locker"...
Also pretty sure there was more people involved in the fight than portrayed in "Zero Dark Thirty"

Pretty much anything coming out of Hollywood is going to get churched up or the story bent a little to appeal to the masses...

Except for Sasha Baron Cohen's "The Dictator." I thought that was a pretty accurate portrayal of Saddam Hussein...:D;)

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

jgoose71

As an EOD Tech, I had serious issues with "The Hurt Locker"...
Also pretty sure there was more people involved in the fight than portrayed in "Zero Dark Thirty"

Pretty much anything coming out of Hollywood is going to get churched up or the story bent a little to appeal to the masses...

Except for Sasha Baron Cohen's "The Dictator." I thought that was a pretty accurate portrayal of Saddam Hussein...:D;)

Just think about how Twardo feels about the way they portray the people at the beginning of 2001 a space odyssey.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

For the most part Hollywood puts out make believe fantasy crap. But every once in a while they will surprise us. Ron Howard just released his movie Rush last month which was about the real life rivalry Nick Lauda and James Hunt had with each other and the movie was remarkably true to life. The inaccuracies of the story were so small, so hard to notice and so insignificant. For the most part, Hollywood is crap, but not this Ron Howard movie. This one was accurate.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

That is a good film.

My beef is when they make 'true life'...'factual' films that are nothing of the sort...... If you don't like the facts then don't use the 'story' with the names of real people... WRITE YOUR OWN.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome