regulator

Thai paratrooper fatal static line accident

He gave the "I'm OK" signal (hands on helmet).

Once he is cut free, he is supposed to release his reserve.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

regulator

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=55c_1383668264

Why weren't they trying to pull him in?

Is that possible??? Fully kitted up jumper plus wind drag would make it damn hard to haul him in on a what looks like 1inch webbing I would think.

BSBD :(
Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

If he gives the "I'm OK" signal (which he did), they normally won't try to retrieve the towed jumper.

If he appeared unable or knocked out, they probably would've tried harder to get him back in the bird.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

jono

***http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=55c_1383668264

Is that possible??? Fully kitted up jumper plus wind drag would make it damn hard to haul him in on a what looks like 1inch webbing I would think.

Yes, it is possible if you have a static line retrieval device on the anchor line cable. All US static line military jump approved aircraft have them. However, at the 3:05 mark it can be seen that said device was not present on the anchor line cable. It does look like early on those in the aircraft tried to pull him by hand. You can see this by the way the jumper moves closer to the ramp and also begins to buffet around in and out of the airstream in the same manner D bags buffet around when you pull them back into the aircraft.

To backtrack, the jumpmaster should have stopped the rest of the stick from exiting once he had a towed jumper. Instead he let several more exit the aircraft. Not seeing or knowing what was going on in the aircraft, it is hard to guess why it took so long for them to cut him away. It could be as simple as the JM didn't have a knife on him and they had to find one in the aircraft or it could have been due to human error in the JM making a timely decision as they tried to manually drag him in. There could be several things but it would be speculation at best. From what we can see, it appears the jumper didn't attempt to deploy his reserve and that could be in part to his spinning around outside all that time and being disoriented and scared.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

LouDiamond

From what we can see, it appears the jumper didn't attempt to deploy his reserve and that could be in part to his spinning around outside all that time and being disoriented and scared.

sucks. Stick with the play book. Jumper in tow, conscious, cut the static line . . now. [:/]

mjosparky

Scott,

Are they using the Canadian retrieval system on US aircraft?

Sparky

No, we use a system that is attached to the anchor line cable itself and is used to also help pull all the D bags in as it is next to impossible for a JM to pull in 30 bags on a high performance aircraft. Smaller airframes use a similar system, it's basically a winch system.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

LouDiamond

******http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=55c_1383668264

Yes, it is possible if you have a static line retrieval device on the anchor line cable. All US static line military jump approved aircraft have them. However, at the 3:05 mark it can be seen that said device was not present on the anchor line cable. It does look like early on those in the aircraft tried to pull him by hand. You can see this by the way the jumper moves closer to the ramp and also begins to buffet around in and out of the airstream in the same manner D bags buffet around when you pull them back into the aircraft.

To backtrack, the jumpmaster should have stopped the rest of the stick from exiting once he had a towed jumper. Instead he let several more exit the aircraft. Not seeing or knowing what was going on in the aircraft, it is hard to guess why it took so long for them to cut him away. It could be as simple as the JM didn't have a knife on him and they had to find one in the aircraft or it could have been due to human error in the JM making a timely decision as they tried to manually drag him in. There could be several things but it would be speculation at best. From what we can see, it appears the jumper didn't attempt to deploy his reserve and that could be in part to his spinning around outside all that time and being disoriented and scared.

It kinda looks like they did a full go around and were trying to spot him with the rest of his outfit.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

My guess WRT the delay was that once they knew he was alert, they wanted to climb to give him some extra altitude to execute his EPs after cutaway.

At a couple points in the video it looks like he's with it and his bellywart is clear of the ball of shit hanging around him. I guess that after they cut him loose, it didn't stay that way.

Elvisio "damn" Rodriguez

GRAPHIC VIDEO!!

http://www.military.com/video/military-aircraft-operations/parachute-jumping/thai-paratrooper-lands-in-neighborhood/2835653243001/

Not 100% sure it's him, but the description pretty much lines up.

theonlyski

Thats not the same guy. The deceased in this video is wearing a freefall rig, the towed jumper in the first video was jumping a static line rig.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING