shropshire

So, what are you reading at the moment?

Just finished "The Sign of Four" by sir Arthur Canon Doyle
but i am also reading
Hannah Arendt, Origins of Totalitarianism, Part III
Michael Geyer and Sheila Fitzpatrick, Beyond Totalitarianism
Matthew Avery Sutton, Aimee Semple McPherson and the Resurrection of Christian America
Evan Wright, "Generation Kill"

those are the books...mmmm gata love college

Scott Pilgrim vs. the world

I read those late last year, great fun!

Just finished I Shall Wear Midnight, the latest Discworld (didn't like the last one at all, but definitely back on form here) and Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. Just starting Fiesta by Hemingway, and I've got Don Quixote ticking over as well.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Haven't read any Discworld, but I did read 11 Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind (some were incredible, some sucked). Just started "A Game of Thrones" from the 5 book series A Song of Fire & Ice by George R. R. Martin. So far so good.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

Julie and Julia. Saw the movie awhile back, but I didn't know there was a book until I went to the library this week. It's pretty cute :)

I enjoyed Julia Child's autobiography, esp. the early years in post war Paris. She was quite a woman, very determined and adventurous. :)

I'll have to check that one out.

Pulse, the latest book of short stories by Julian Barnes.

I'm a sucker for the short story format. Maybe my attention span is on the wane.

Maybe check out Address Unknown by Kressmann Taylor, fantastic short story!

Oh and reading Jose Saramago's The Stone Raft at night and Birdmen, Batmen and Skyflyers by Michael Abrams in the mornings

Haven't read any Discworld, but I did read 11 Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind (some were incredible, some sucked). Just started "A Game of Thrones" from the 5 book series A Song of Fire & Ice by George R. R. Martin. So far so good.

The sword of truth series is epic. Faith of the fallen was the motivating force behind me starting my business. Richard is my idol, and I try to live my life in as truthful as a fashion as he would.

Yeah, I am kind of a nerd.

Haven't read any Discworld, but I did read 11 Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind (some were incredible, some sucked).

The sword of truth series is epic. Faith of the fallen was the motivating force behind me starting my business. Richard is my idol, and I try to live my life in as truthful as a fashion as he would.

Yeah, I am kind of a nerd.

The society in the old world and the politics were extremely frustrating to read.

I listened to all of them
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I couldn't get past the first volume of the Goodkind books. It was like reading the condensed written version of a comic book. The George RR Martin books are much more rewarding other than that George can't be bothered to actually write another book to finish it up..

The best book I've finished lately is Enders Game ( not End Game) by Orson Scott Card.

That's all the pretense of implied intellect I can summon this late in the day.
Owned by Remi #?

I couldn't get past the first volume of the Goodkind books. It was like reading the condensed written version of a comic book. The George RR Martin books are much more rewarding other than that George can't be bothered to actually write another book to finish it up..

The best book I've finished lately is Enders Game ( not End Game) by Orson Scott Card.

That's all the pretense of implied intellect I can summon this late in the day.

Game was ok - But Enders Shadow, I found to be more of a believable story the way it was written.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

If you're a fan of Fantasy novels in any way, shape, or form- definitely check out "Legends" http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Stories-Masters-Modern-Fantasy/dp/0765300354/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297795284&sr=1-1

It's a collection of short stories by Stephen King, Terry Goodkind, George R. R. Martin, Orson Scott Card, Robert Jordan, Terry Pratchett, etc.

Reading that will give you a great sense of each author's writing style, which can then be used to select the series that you want to read. It's a great "mini-guide" to each author.

And the stories are pretty good too ;)

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

If you're a fan of Fantasy novels in any way, shape, or form- definitely check out "Legends" http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Stories-Masters-Modern-Fantasy/dp/0765300354/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297795284&sr=1-1

It's a collection of short stories by Stephen King, Terry Goodkind, George R. R. Martin, Orson Scott Card, Robert Jordan, Terry Pratchett, etc.

Reading that will give you a great sense of each author's writing style, which can then be used to select the series that you want to read. It's a great "mini-guide" to each author.

And the stories are pretty good too ;)

I will definately try that - but I am in the truck so much - I tend to download and listen to books more than read them.

Other books I've enjoyed over the last few months (winter + recovery from knee injury has given me a lot of time to read...):

Half a Life by Darin Strauss (memoir)

Breaking Night by Liz Murray (memoir)

Room by Emma Donoghue (fiction)

The Nine by Jeffrey Toobin (non-fiction)

Love is a Mix Tape
Talking to Girls About Duran Duran
both by Rob Sheffield, both memoir

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (fiction)

Guyland by Michael Kimmell (non-fiction)

The Big Short by Michael Lewis (non-fiction, though you might wish it was fiction)

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell (non-fiction)

One Day by David Nicholls (fiction)

The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean (non-fiction)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I finally picked up Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy - yeah I know, about 70 years late.

I should have done a bit more research before I bought it. I like sparse prose, and this is incredibly heavy going - I can see why they're such thick books!

The End of History and the Last Man by Francis Fukuyama... at the direction/suggestion of my boss... presumably I'm to provide him a report on the book some time in April...

I'm about 1/3 into the book and overall it's not a bad read... it's a modern (early 90s) philosophy book with undertones of Policital Science...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I finally picked up Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy - yeah I know, about 70 years late.

I should have done a bit more research before I bought it. I like sparse prose, and this is incredibly heavy going - I can see why they're such thick books!

I think I was a bit later .. Ben Franklin (great read by the way) is a touch older.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome