wee

AAD: cypres vs. vigil

Ok the questions in my best english
(Excuse for the typo's)

I've attached the questions in a word doc. copy-paste does not work with italic and bold from word

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

The issue is not whether the cutter can cut the loop or not. I'm certain the Vigil cutter can chop right through the steel wire used for reserve handles, just like the Cypres cutter does.

The issue is that thicker loop material is not compliant with all types of containers if you, for example, cut the loop at the bottom of the container. One example is the French Atom rig which must use reserve loop material that is even thinner(!) than the regular Cypres loop when equipped with RSL. Yes, there was an issue with this in the past.

The point is that Advanced Aerospace Design has not done this research. They are piggy-backing onto Airtec's suggested mounting of the AAD but not following it through since they claim loop thickness that history has already ruled out is okay to use.

/Håkan

Please, when you state something, bring in facts, not rumors.

i was not aware of posting rumors - if so please tell me where i did so i can learn something new (no sarcasm!)
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

The issue is not whether the cutter can cut the loop or not.

Since that is the only thing these AAD's actually DO, I find this whole issue a bit nitpicking.
The next question is of course where you would cut the loop so that it results in the beginning of an uninterupted opening sequence of the reserve.
For some rigs it would be on top, for some near the bottom and for some in between. And indeed, when you come up with TWO tiny loops and TWO curved pins (ATOM legend with french RSL) this could become an issue, especially if the manual itself isn't clear. *)

To me it seems that some of you want Vigil to re-invent the wheel.
When they come up with "round seems a promissing concept" you tell them:

The point is that Advanced Aerospace Design has not done this research.

If it cuts a reserve steel wire it will cut any loop in use today. FYI the reserves in most sport rigs with 'of the shelve' closing grommets would function just as well with the same loop material you find in your main container except that you cannot use an AAD with a cutter, since you cant get the loop through the cutter. Other than that, if you pull it will open, so without an AAD-with-a-cutter it is functional...

What also strikes me as funny are the complaints about users finding it to complicated to replace their batteries and lots of terrible things that could go wrong there.
Are we talking about the same users that could not jump if there wasn't a packer on the DZ since they don't know how to cock their Pilot Chute? The same users that turn the rings on their mini-risers at every pincheck "looking for deformation"?

Yes serious safety issue indeed! :S

Finally: The television monitor in our hangar must be over 18 years old and has been at the DZ since 1994. Still works like a charm (but the last five years you have to adjust the colours every time you turn it on...) We do not heat or cool the hangar so for a televisionset these are rather severe conditions.

I don't find it to far fetched that no maintainance is required on Vigil other than a self test requiring it.

*) The manual says in French AND in English that each pin goes through each loop but at the same time the pictures in the manual AND the drawing inside the closing flap show one pin per loop...

The manual is perfectly clear however where they would want an AAD's loopcutter situated.

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

I've attached the questions in a word doc. copy-paste does not work with italic and bold from word

Hope you don't mind I did.
Femke
:)

Italic= answer from AAD
Bolt= my comment on the answer

Question 9 and higher have been added later

1) I want to jump with a vigil over here. Is that possible
http://www.cfcenter.co.il/dsinfo.htm

No problem, all the vigils delivered at the moment can be programmed till a pressure of 1090mbar, this means till-500m. All the Vigils model B en C can be reprogrammed from 1035mbar to 1090mbar free of charge

Ok from issue D you can, where can I find this issue on the box (sticker, embedded). AAD only does the reprogramming free of charge all extra cost will not be covert (shipping repack if required)

2) Leaving from skydive Spa (±1500ft altitude) I want to make a jump-in at texel (at the sea) (About 2 hours flying). Is this possible, how do I adjust the vigil ?

Of course you can. Make a re-adjustment of– 1500ft).

Ok, I did not expect a different answer. I can look up in the manual how to re-adjust

3) Which aerospace-specifications have been used to qualify this equipment for the aerospace-autority like EMC and environmental

The toughest specifications. The Vigil is tested at a recognised lab (Denayer, Mechelen) till 100V/m with perfect results.

The 'toughest specifications' does not clarify anything for me. I'm sure the vigil is NOT tested according to the toughest aerospacespecs. The toughest case is (direct) lightning strike. I would have expected an answer like : MIL-..... or DIN-.....
I consider this question still open.

4) Do the electronic components comply with aerospace quality?

The electronic components used are professional quality and have a life expectation of 20 years.

Please answer YES/NO, If no why didn't you use this quality.

5) No equipment lasts forever(Ask the more exoperienced videojumpers)
What is the life expectation of the vigil usage about 100-150jumps a year. Take into account the severe environment (temperature differences, shocks and moisture).

Vigil does not last forever. We give an “Expected Life Time” of 20 years Majik making upto 500 jumps a year can use the vigil 20 years without problems
At Parachute the france 2 vigils are still functional after a 500m drop.
This is Vigil.

An expected lifetime is an expectation.What does vigil if this turns out to be for example 10 years for whatever reasen?

6) A little more technical: A dual square situation can be geklassificeerd as dangerous ( No discussion about that) Is it possible due to a software error(Single software failure) to switch from pro to student or tandem mode?

This is absolutely inpossible. One in a specific mode this may only be altered with the pushbutton during startup..

I'm sorry, have you ever heard of 'bit-flip'

7) How can a company without experience in the aerospace industry give a statement 'no maintenance required'. All components age, even solderconnections age.

At each start-up the vigil checks all functions, in case something is wrong with the batterie, cutter or electronic parameters, the vigil will not start and the vigil has to be returned

And in case the pressure sensor ages? On the ground this is not notified, but as the pressure drops (during climb) the altitude sensing gets less accurate.
It seems clear your company bets on 'on condition' maintenance instead of 'preventive' maintenance. This is very dangerous in a safety critical application

8 ) How did you solve the issues reason for the grounding in germany?

Look at our answers at “Dropzone.com”

At dropzone.com I can find some answers, but I can not find anything about the poti for example

New questions:

9) During development have you performed a FailureMode-EndEffect analyse If not I would suggest to perform this.? Please do not answer something like 'we did a lot of tests"

Following questions come from a swedisch investigation .Mentioned on www.dropzone.com:

10) What is the accuricy of the unit? ±80m is not always achievable. By the way 225m-80m=145m Little low seems to me.

11) Is this true ?

We recently did some tests on the scenario when you adjust for
a *higher* landing altitude and the Vigil cannot handle that
correctly either. The Vigil appears to have a problem knowing
where the "zero-level" is when you do these types of adjustments.

For example, if you adjust the unit to a landing altitude that
is, say, 300 meters above your take-off altitude. Fly up well
above this altitude but cancel the jump (clouds!) and go back
down with the plane. The Vigil then fires when you pass the
300 meter level (intended landing site) if you exceed only 20
m/s in descent rate.

12 ) Is this true ?

The problem with sensitivity to electrostatic discharges may
have been solved but there are still other issues with the
electronics construction that we think are sub-standard.

For example, the fact that the manual says that the unit can get
stuck in some state where you have to open the unit and tempo-
rarily remove the battery in order to make it work again.

This is kind of like rebooting your computer by unplugging the
power supply and indicates an electronics design that is flawed.

13) Please comment

AAD says that they are constantly improving the design and fixing
any problems. However, with no mandatory service interval there
is no procedure for updating all units in the field. With the
exception of the total recall this spring due to a severe problem
with sensitivity to electrostatic discharges, a unit that is out
there does not get updated.

14) With a vigil equipped rig can I jump in austria or sweden?

>> The issue is that thicker loop material is not compliant with all types of containers if you, for example, cut the loop at the bottom of the container. One example is the French Atom rig which must use reserve loop material that is even thinner(!) than the regular Cypres loop when equipped with RSL. Yes, there was an issue with this in the past.
The point is that Advanced Aerospace Design has not done this research. They are piggy-backing onto Airtec's suggested mounting of the AAD but not following it through since they claim loop thickness that history has already ruled out is okay to use. <<

>> I do not see your problem with the reserveloop. There is no "Vigil-loop" like a cypres-loop. You only have to folow the manual written by the manufacturer of the container.

Maintenance free? My car tells me when it needs maintenance, it depends (max 30.000 km). My grandfathers car needs maintenance every 5000 Km's or every 6 months.
So you want me to go with my car to the garage every 5000 km? :S

Any cypres-ready gear is also vigil-ready. So AAD nv does not need to do this research again.

Have you ever seen a cypres and a vigil or just only the display?

Maintenance free? My car tells me when it needs maintenance, it depends (max 30.000 km). My grandfathers car needs maintenance every 5000 Km's or every 6 months.
So you want me to go with my car to the garage every 5000 km? :S

In the end they both need maintenance:P

Any cypres-ready gear is also vigil-ready. So AAD nv does not need to do this research again.

According to who, AAD or the rig manufacturers

Yes, I agree with you that any rig that is Cypres-ready is also Vigil ready, IF you follow the *entire* instruction that comes with Airtec's methods of mounting the AAD. In other words, if you decide to use Airtec's way of cutting the loop and place the cutter in the same position, you should *also* follow their recommendations with a thinner and more flexible loop.

The point here is that Airtec did their research on this and found that there can be problems if you cut a 725 lb Spectra line at the bottom of a container. The length of the loop still runs through all the grommets in the flaps that hold the pilotchute back. A thicker and stiffer reserve loop can cause pilotchute hesitation in this scenario.

In my opinion, the only sensible way to introduce a new AAD to the market and have any success with it is to use the same mounting method as Cypres. But then you must embrace the entire concept, not just parts of it. Or you can do all the research on your own and come up with something brand new, but that costs a lot more money and is not very likely to be accepted by the rig manufacturers.

So, to give you a short answer, the problem is that there *is* no "Vigil loop". And the manufacturer of the rigs do not say that cutting the loop like Cypres/Vigil do is fine with an ordinary 725 lb reserve loop.

And yes, I have seen both Cypreses and Vigils. In fact, I have taken both types apart as well as run them through some extensive tests in pressure chambers. I have been a rigger since 1997 so I have seen a few variations of AAD installations as well.

/Håkan

I reply to myself with two questions about Ton's translation:S

No problem, all the vigils delivered at the moment can be programmed till a pressure of 1090mbar, this means till-500m. All the Vigils model B en C can be reprogrammed from 1035mbar to 1090mbar free of charge

Ok from issue D you can, where can I find this issue on the box (sticker, embedded). AAD only does the reprogramming free of charge all extra cost will not be covert (shipping repack if required)

My question:

What is Vigil model B, C and D?

Is this recall for reprogramming mandatory or an advice when jumping at sea level?

6) A little more technical: A dual square situation can be geklassificeerd as dangerous ( No discussion about that) Is it possible due to a software error(Single software failure) to switch from pro to student or tandem mode?

This is absolutely inpossible. One in a specific mode this may only be altered with the pushbutton during startup..

I haven’t. What is it? Can you avoid it?

Femke:)

I reply to myself with two questions about Ton's translation:S

My question:

What is Vigil model B, C and D?

Is this recall for reprogramming mandatory or an advice when jumping at sea level?

I haven’t. What is it? Can you avoid it?

Femke:)

Model B,C,... is in the answer of the supplier. Normally a product starts as issue A. When little improvements have been made this is called issue B, next improvement: issue C.....
If certain issues (models) have operational limitations it would be very nice to determine which model you have. This can be done with a sticker at the box. (like cypres does after the 4-year check) or for example a screen in the menu that shows the model issue
In case of vigil the A was the unit with the static electricity problem. This was solved in issue B. Wath they did with issue C and higher I do not know.

A computer works with series of "1" and "0". A bitflip is the unintended changing from a "1" to a "0" or the other way around. This is un unintended modification of the program ans shall never lead to a dangerous situation. For example unintended switching from pro to student mode.
You can not do more than "handilng your gear normally". Bit-flip has nothing to do with shacking or dropping the unit. It might be caused by for example severe (emc) radiation or aging of components

It appears that most of the Vigil issues are isolated in europe. Why is it that people who complain have never owned, nor operated one?

Thank god, that they dont complain...How could they in such a case :S

Why europe.. Is it so that the europeans look into matters more diligently.. Yes I think so..

But what is all come down to is, how do AAD manage their contacts and questions from different national organisations.

Many of these "committees consists of skydivers like you and me, but perhaps with a deeper knowledge and interest to test and look into matters like these so that we will have safe equipment to use in the air.

Then on the other hand; how deep and poking should such an investigation be. Well as long as we look into the statements of a manufacturer and try it accordingly and we find faults - of course we'll have to question them..
We just have to stay with the facts.. and the facts we know today are the statements made by AAD and they have been tried by the Austrian and Swedish Material & Safety committee and found not to comply!!!!

Is it so that NO other country have tried them at all? Just bought it from the paper?

We have a standard - the Cypres standard, and of course everything will be judged after this..

Which means that any new equipment has to fulfill or be even better then Cypres to really have a chance..and of course AAD knows that.

So the only thing AAD really has to do, is to back up their statements with actual test reports confirming their statements..and perhaps change the technical design a bit so no one could make an error when replacing battery or open it by mistake or that moist get inside...

What could be better then to have a totally service free unit for approx 20 years?? Just changing the battery..Great..
Schwede
"Das Leben ist schön, nicht immer aber immer öfter"

All the Vigils model B en C can be reprogrammed from 1035mbar to 1090mbar free of charge

AAD only does the reprogramming free of charge all extra cost will not be covert (shipping repack if required)

Are these facts? Is it advised to have your Vigil reprogrammed? Is there a service bulletin of this? We know nothing (and under them are Vigil owners!!!)

A computer works with series of "1" and "0". A bitflip is the unintended changing from a "1" to a "0" or the other way around. This is un unintended modification of the program ans shall never lead to a dangerous situation. For example unintended switching from pro to student mode.
You can not do more than "handilng your gear normally". Bit-flip has nothing to do with shacking or dropping the unit. It might be caused by for example severe (emc) radiation or aging of components

This is wrong.
Bit flip used to be a problem in early memory devices and was caused by the alpha decay of radioactive trace isotopes in the epoxy resins used for chip packaging.
The solution was found in cleaner resins.

Recently the problem has returned in the form of "flip chips", where the chip packaging is so thin it
doesn't offer much protection against alpha particles.
This time the cause was found in radioactivity from solder joints in the chip carrier.

For details see http://direct.xilinx.com/bvdocs/whitepapers/wp208.pdf

The devices used in the vigil have ordinary SO and flatpack outline and do not exhibit bitflip.
---

High frequency fields.
The entire circuit board will be fried long before you'll get a single bit to flip from a HF field.
BTW, there is no such thing as emc radiation.
---

Aging.
It's true, silicon chips do age.
Thats why they have a MTBF.
But let's pretend you jump 365 days/year, for 20 years and the device is powered on for 14 hours/day.
You'll amass just over 100K hours, way below the chip's MTBF, especially after burn-in.
---

Component grades.
There's commercial, industrial, and mil-spec.
Some component manufacturers may offer product versions with additional reliability screening.
There is no aerospace component grade.
Of course it's possible to create an assembly that conforms to local aerospace regulations.
Usually this is done by using milspec components at critical points.
---

Hmm, i had a point when i started, but i forgot.
Cheers

All the Vigils model B en C can be reprogrammed from 1035mbar to 1090mbar free of charge

AAD only does the reprogramming free of charge all extra cost will not be covert (shipping repack if required)

Are these facts? Is it advised to have your Vigil reprogrammed? Is there a service bulletin of this? We know nothing (and under them are Vigil owners!!!)

The italic text is the answer of vigil. Contect then to clarify this point

This is wrong.
Bit flip used to be a problem in early memory devices and was caused by the alpha decay of radioactive trace isotopes in the epoxy resins used for chip packaging.
The solution was found in cleaner resins.

Recently the problem has returned in the form of "flip chips", where the chip packaging is so thin it
doesn't offer much protection against alpha particles.
This time the cause was found in radioactivity from solder joints in the chip carrier.

For details see http://direct.xilinx.com/bvdocs/whitepapers/wp208.pdf

The devices used in the vigil have ordinary SO and flatpack outline and do not exhibit bitflip.
---

High frequency fields.
The entire circuit board will be fried long before you'll get a single bit to flip from a HF field.
BTW, there is no such thing as emc radiation.
---

Aging.
It's true, silicon chips do age.
Thats why they have a MTBF.
But let's pretend you jump 365 days/year, for 20 years and the device is powered on for 14 hours/day.
You'll amass just over 100K hours, way below the chip's MTBF, especially after burn-in.
---

Component grades.
There's commercial, industrial, and mil-spec.
Some component manufacturers may offer product versions with additional reliability screening.
There is no aerospace component grade.
Of course it's possible to create an assembly that conforms to local aerospace regulations.
Usually this is done by using milspec components at critical points.
---

Hmm, i had a point when i started, but i forgot.
Cheers

For a couple of point you might be right.

In general I expect these answers from vigil. Uptill now I only got some fuzy statements.

In the past I got an answer about the aerospace components (which of course are mil-spec's) They answered: You do not want to pay such components!

Not only silicon chips age. All components age and might run out of tolerance.

And when you accumulate all MTBF's ?

>Bit flip used to be a problem in early memory devices and was
>caused by the alpha decay of radioactive trace isotopes in the epoxy
> resins used for chip packaging.

It can also be caused by:

-gamma radiation creating an ionizing event near a FLASH memory cell, especially a StrataFLASH type cell.

-Random errors in some sorts of memories. NAND FLASH, for example, is not very reliable in terms of random errors; this is the sort of memory used in most removable media like SD and CF cards.

>BTW, there is no such thing as emc radiation.

EMC stands for electromagnetic compatibility, and is similar to EMI. EMI is how much interference the device creates; EMC is how much EM interference the device can withstand. Early Cypreses had an EMC problem when transmitters were used near their control heads; I saw one such fire when a jumper landed near a radar installation on an airport.

>You'll amass just over 100K hours, way below the chip's MTBF,
> especially after burn-in.

Small geometry IC's age (through migration and cell charge loss) even when they are not powered.

Cypres is the gold standard in AAD's. You might be able to save $200 by buying a Vigil but IF you ever need to use your AAD do you want the gold standard or the (IMHO) yet unproven new comer. The safe bet is Cypres, it’s your life do with it was you will.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

What is an algorithm...and how does one "develop one"? :(

FelipeB|

An algorithm in this case is referring to the software that interprets the sensor information and decides to deploy or not. It would include mathematics, tables and heuristics that both measures and model the physics of what's going on and constantly monitor for conditions that should trigger deployment. An algorithm can easily apply mathematical filters to smooth pressure variations in a burble for example but I doubt they'd be entirely reliable. For example you may find that smoothed variations result in a lower mean pressure and you can't tell if someone just fell rapidly for a brief period or the sensor rolled into a burble on the belly vs a sit. An algorithm can be really smart or fairly simplistic. Essentially an AAD need only measure pressure and the rate of change in pressure and activate on a very simple condition, but that would be an overly simple algorithm, AAD's at the very least adjust for ground pressure for example and reset ground if the rate of change is slow and the altitude remains constant for a while (I expect).

You develop an algorithm like this by writing software based on the known sensor output, physical theory, modeling & testing. Over time your software might get smarter at interpreting what's going on by applying better filters & heuristics or using additional data but this is the stuff of trade secrets.

I think some of the objections given are overly fussy, but I do jump with a Cypres2. If Vigil was the incumbent and the Cypres devices just arrived you could probably poke a few holes in it's design so this does not mean it's not a usefull lifesaving device IMHO. If more skydivers have an AAD because more can afford it then it's still making a contribution to safety IMHO.

I bought my Cypres2 over the counter and there seemed to be no shortage of them, some folks have these in stock so getting one shouldn't be a problem.

I am curious as to why the vigil should be switch off and back on again if the ground level air pressure changes by more than 10 mbars.

Also how are to know when the air pressure has changed 10 mbars. Heck I dont even know what a mbar is.

Also how are to know when the air pressure has changed 10 mbars. Heck I dont even know what a mbar is.

Ahh, Vigil can help you there. It will tell you the air pressure when you switch it on You can then make a note of the pressure in your log book. You want know if it has changed? Easy, switch your vigil off and then back on and it will tell you the new air pressure. It it's changed more than 10 mbar switch it off and then........ :S:S:S
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

I am curious as to why the vigil should be switch off and back on again if the ground level air pressure changes by more than 10 mbars.

A millibar is, as advertized, 1/1000th of a bar. 1 bar is almost equal to one atmosphere of pressure, actual is 1.013bar for standard sealevel.

A change in 10millibars is roughly equilivent to an 80m change in altitude. Or 270ft. Don't know how big a shift in weather that would entail if it dropped 10 within the course of an afternoon.

There is a new VIGIL manual at:
http://www.vigil.aero/pdf/VIGIL%20-%20User%20Manual%20v2.0.5.pdf

some chances are:
Version2.0.2:
It is Highly recommended to shut down the Vigil when the user decides to ride down with the aircraft
NEW :
Version2.0.5:
It is recommended to shut down the Vigil when the user decides to ride down with the
aircraft in lieu of jumping. (This is especially important for Vigils programmed in student mode).

Version2.0.2:
3.2 Installation
The Vigil is completely compatible with most sport rigs on the market today. It can be easily
installed in any harness/container system equipped with a place for an AAD.
All the loops currently available on the market (Spectra CSR style #9512-300, Spectra CSR
style #9512-725, Cypres™ Locking Spectra Cord) are usable.
Version2.0.5:
3.2 Installation
The Vigil is completely compatible with most sport rigs on the market today.
It can be easily sewn into any harness/container system designed for an electronic AAD.
If necessary, a Vigil pocket can be installed in your container by a rigger.
All reserve closing loops currently on the market that are similar to Spectra CSR style #9512-
300 or the Cypres™ Loop (Spectra Cord) are acceptable for use in the installation of the Vigil.
The Vigil’s cutter must be positioned as specified by the container manufacturer’s instructions.

Even when is not more highly recommended to shut down the Vigil when the user decides to ride down with the aircraft,
I think the Vigil must installed (sewn?) that way, that if the jumper wants, he can shut off it by himself.
(This is especially important for Vigils programmed in student mode)
The student mode is an advice to Birdman Jumpers.
It should be installed that way he can also see ,during aircraft ascent, the Vigil’s red LED will briefly flash three times when
it passes through its pre-set activation altitude. Some jumpers want to see that flash(they paid fore it)
If the Vigil is installed in a setup like most sport rigs on the market today ,
the jumper must ask the pilot to wait a few moments before he rides down with the aircraft
because he has to get out of his gear and shut his Vigil of.

Do not forget to inform the pilot about the new flight Restrictions.

There are a view more differences between the old and new in the manual.
See:
flight Restriction,
life span Battery,
great change in atmospheric pressure,
move in a vehicle,
ect.

Always check the Vigil homepage and contact the manufacturer before the next Jump.
Because:
They reserve the right to make changes and improvements to any of the products described in this guide without prior
notice.