LuckyMcSwervy

1st Time Cruise Advice

There was talk about taking a bridge tour. I haven't been able to get one since 9/11. RCI claims "security" reasons.

I've brought dive gear and also did cruises where I rented. For me, if I'm only planning on one dive, then I rent. If multiple dives are planned, then I bring my gear. Cleaning and drying in the cabin can be a PITA, but it's nice diving my own gear. I know it, I'm comfortable with it, it's just a better experience, IMO. You're really only talking about mask, fins, snorkel, booties, reg and BC. All the cold water/specialty stuff stays home.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

airdvr

******As far as being on the boat, never again. Too many people, the food was horrendous, the pools were packed and the constant blaring on the big screen from "Todd the cruise director" was annoying as hell.

And I got food poisoning the last day. I think it was the sushi:P

Probably my biggest cruise fear. Uh oh!! [:/]

Some day you'll need to try these ships.

http://starclippers.com/us-dom/explore-star-clippers/photo-galleries/star-clipper-photo-gallery.html

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Do you know how truly tempting that New Year holiday sailing is to me??? They are beautiful!!!!! WOW!!! :oB|:o
Always be kinder than you feel.

neflier

There was talk about taking a bridge tour. I haven't been able to get one since 9/11. RCI claims "security" reasons.

I've brought dive gear and also did cruises where I rented. For me, if I'm only planning on one dive, then I rent. If multiple dives are planned, then I bring my gear. Cleaning and drying in the cabin can be a PITA, but it's nice diving my own gear. I know it, I'm comfortable with it, it's just a better experience, IMO. You're really only talking about mask, fins, snorkel, booties, reg and BC. All the cold water/specialty stuff stays home.

I'd love a bridge tour but if they don't do it, I'll live. It's Norweigan.

I booked 4 dives today and I've decided to definitely bring my own gear. I NEED all my stuff. When I was trying to really wrap my mind around renting ANYTHING I've become a Scuba Snob. TTYTT, I started packing the scuba gear tonight and I even was able to throw in my wetsuit dryer and also my soft weights. I feel lost with out my "save a dive kit" too so that's been pared down a bit but it's still making the trip. BC, mask, snorkel, fins, reg/octo/computer 1mm wetsuit, socks, booties, gloves, dive torch (2), wet gear bag, dry box, logbook, etc. It's going! :D 1 suitcase, less than 50 pounds. I feel like it's an accomplishment. :D

I also booked a stand up paddle board session for the "private island" day. I haven't done that in a long time and I was hoping to get into it here at home on the back bays so taking an hour excursion for $19 sounded like a good deal to me.

I bought a few more hand sanitizers tonight at Walmart but I think I left the bag at the register when I left. $4 lost, I'll get over it. I have to go back in there anyway for more so maybe it's at the service desk.

I'm really hoping I make at least one activity buddy on the ship who isn't a stone cold freakazoid!! :D

Packed and ready. Hand sanitizer placed in easily reachable areas! There's a freaking 'cruise cam'??

Thank you so much to everyone for all of your advice, tips, tricks, etc! I truly appreciate everyone who took the time to help this cruise newbie have a hopefully great experience!!

Can't wait to GTFO heeeeeere!! B|

Stuff not included cause guys don't think of this shit. :P

*Bring a power strip as there is normally only 1 or 2 plugs in the whole room including bathroom.
*Wrist band pouch for the room card (and drink card on some ships) unless you are like me and keep it in the bikini top.
*Use room service for that morning cup of coffee on the balcony, it costs nothing extra and gets the morning started right.
*I personal do bring my own scuba gear minus tank and weights, because I have kick ass gear and most of the international places I have gone have crappy rental gear.
*Depending on the cruise line, ask for something special for each meal so they have to make it fresh and you don't get the meal that has been sitting under the heat lamp for 2 hours. Such as hollandaise sauce on the side. (Carnival)
Fly it like you stole it!

skycat

Stuff not included cause guys don't think of this shit. :P

*Bring a power strip as there is normally only 1 or 2 plugs in the whole room including bathroom.
*Wrist band pouch for the room card (and drink card on some ships) unless you are like me and keep it in the bikini top.
*Use room service for that morning cup of coffee on the balcony, it costs nothing extra and gets the morning started right.
*I personal do bring my own scuba gear minus tank and weights, because I have kick ass gear and most of the international places I have gone have crappy rental gear.
*Depending on the cruise line, ask for something special for each meal so they have to make it fresh and you don't get the meal that has been sitting under the heat lamp for 2 hours. Such as hollandaise sauce on the side. (Carnival)

Check! Check! Always (room service at hotels anyway)! Check (I think I have kickass gear as well and just couldn't travel without it... plus it's CLEAN and only MY PEE has run through the wetsuit!! :o) :o

Ohhh.. good advice on the special food request. I'm a pro at that. ;)

Thanks so much for the advice!! Can't wait!! B|B|B|

LuckyMcSwervy

***Make sure you take pleany of pics !!!! ;)

Definitely! Thanks!! B|

Every time I see this thread title, I think she's wanting advice about molesting Tom.:D:D:D

I know. I know. I've always been this way though.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Every time I see this thread title, I think she's wanting advice about molesting Tom.:D:D:D

I know. I know. I've always been this way though.:D

Yes you have and don't ever change a hair...er....shell....;)
"It's not just a daydream if you choose to make it your life..."

airdvr

Anyone say anything about your smartphone? Data gets really expensive in the islands. Don't ask me how I know this...[:/]

Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands it is ok to make calls, text, and data (at least on AT&T). Anywhere else make sure you have an international plan, but the international plan doesn't count on the ship (or halfmoon caye) so just keep it off on the ship. I do normally get 30-50 international texts when I travel to touch base (or rub it in) with people at home when I am in port. :P

Oh forgot to add if you drink wine with Dinner, go ahead and buy a bottle, they will re-cork it and you can drink the rest the next night.
Fly it like you stole it!

airdvr

Anyone say anything about your smartphone? Data gets really expensive in the islands. Don't ask me how I know this...[:/]

I took care of that a while ago but I'm telling myself and anyone who regularly contacts me that I'm out of touch for the week. One time before I went to Jamaica I called my cell carrier to have them add the international data/roam/kitchen sink plans to my cell AND my air card. They effed up and didn't add the air card #. Came home to find a $1200 bill the next month. I fought with them for a year before they finally removed it.

They only person I'm planning on staying in touch with is the people who are staying at my house while I'm gone and also the catsitter.

From what I've read I doubt I'd get a signal while on the ship anyway but I'll try anyway because I'm a glutton for punishment. :)

I'm getting excited as I took a dry run getting to the port this afternoon. Easy peasy. I was thankful I wasn't boarding the huge Disney ship. :P

oldwomanc6

Unclear as to whether there is internet aboard ship, but if there is, you might want to download VIBER for your phone. That way, as long as you have wireless, you can text for free. :)

Thanks for that tip! There's WiFi but it's SUPER expensive and pretty slow from what I've read. I think it'll be cheaper for me to use my own phone than sign up for their internet plan.

I've never heard of VIBER but I'll check it out now.

Thanks again! B|

They only person I'm planning on staying in touch with is the people who are staying at my house while I'm gone

What's the address? I'm sure there are plenty on here who would be willing to 'check up' on your house while you're gone. ;)
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

cocheese

High maintenance. Just cruise.....
;)

Dude, we know this... :P:P:P

Can't wait. I'm bouncing off the walls waiting to GTH outta here!! I did find out my balcony looks down to the lifeboats, not straight down to the water. I'm not sure if this is a plus or minus. ;)

airdvr

They only person I'm planning on staying in touch with is the people who are staying at my house while I'm gone

What's the address? I'm sure there are plenty on here who would be willing to 'check up' on your house while you're gone. ;)

LOL... if they want to meet a FBI agent and his police officer wife I'm sure they'll be happy to have visitors!! :P

I forgot to mention I am planning on messing with them with the security system. I can look in at any time and also talk to people in the house over that connection. I mess with the cat once in a while. I look in, she's sleeping on the sofa, I ask her if she wants treats. :)