lowpullin1

Extra large slider??

hows that...?

Because when the canopy first comes out of the bag its inflated span is restricted by the span (width) of the slider. A bigger (wider) slider = less restriction on the opening canopy.

Maybe.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

hows that...?

Because when the canopy first comes out of the bag its inflated span is restricted by the span (width) of the slider. A bigger (wider) slider = less restriction on the opening canopy.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

George Galloway (Precision Aerodynamics) said something similar: "When you install a larger slider, the canopy starts to inflate earlier, but it takes longer."
Slider size is a delicate balance.

Because when the canopy first comes out of the bag its inflated span is restricted by the span (width) of the slider.

Exactly. The extra width of bottom skin inflation that the larger slider may allow can over come the resistive force of airflow holding the slider up. I know of atleast a couple used canopies that had their openings tamed with smallersliders built to the manufacturers specs.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I've been involved in many, many test jumps to guage the effect of different sized sliders. If a slider is very small, the canopy is restricted in the early stage of deployment and the "snivel" stage is increased. This is because the line groups are held closely together during this stage. But once the canopy begins inflation, that same small slider has little "sail" area, so doesn't offer much resistance to sliding down the lines. So a very fast inflation occurs with a small slider. On the other hand, with a large slider, the line groups are allowed to separate more during the initial phase of deployment, which produces a very short "snivel" time, but the large sail area offers good resistance as the slider is coming down the lines. The problem is that when the slider is too large, the lack of sufficient "snivel" period causes an explosive opening and the large sail area is ineffective to the tremendous forces caused by the first stage of deployment. So, as was said earlier, it is indeed a delicate balance. And what works for one type of canopy doesn't necessarily work for a different canopy. Many people have the false impression that they can fix hard openings by installing a bigger slider. Sometimes it can help, but the best advice is consult your canopy manufacturer; they've tested many slider sizes and can probably give good guidance.

I asked the same to a friend of mine that test jumped for years.

He said the problem with pocket sliders is that, at times, or if you have the wrong size, something, I don't remember exactly, the pocket will cause the slider to stay up way too long or you'll have to do a lot of 'pumping' of the brakes to get it down.

BE THE BUDDHA!

There's nothing wrong with pockets added to a slider on an unruly canopy.

Agreed. I was trying to adress the intent of the original question which I took to say "why don't manufacturers sell their canopies with a pocket slider?"

I have seen, and even installed pocket sliders on many canopies with success. But they are typicaly a "band-aid" fix to a canopy that has problems, not the norm.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.