sandi

New computer advice

Questions for the computer people out there. I don’t know hardware that well so I am looking for advice on new computer purchases.

I’m setting up my new research lab and I will be ordering 3 computers for the lab plus a tablet. I also need a new personal laptop.

For the lab I think I have to get HP products (or Apple) since I have to go through the university. One computer will be connected to 3 video cameras and a switcher. The other two will be used for video coding and data analysis. I want them to last a long time. Right now I have start-up funds for my lab, so I can pretty much get whatever I want, I’m just now sure what I want. I probably don’t actually need anything too fancy, but since I have money to spend I might as well get good (and fast) computers.

I also need a tablet to run some experiments on (Cognitive, perceptual type stuff). I’m thinking of getting a new iPad Air but I haven’t compared the iPad to other tablets that are out now.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I'm no expert, but I do have an iPad that I really like. If you need to put your own software on it for your experiements, then forget about the iPad. Unless you jailbreak it, I don't think you can get any software on it that doesn't come through Apple.

- Dan G

DanG

If you need to put your own software on it for your experiements, then forget about the iPad. Unless you jailbreak it, I don't think you can get any software on it that doesn't come through Apple.

That's not true. If she writes her own software, she can easily put it on her own iPad. Apple makes that incredibly easy to do.

https://developer.apple.com/technologies/tools/

What Apple doesn't make easy to do is to put unknown 3rd party software on devices.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Before you buy anything you should probably have a plan as to what research you're doing and find somebody locally you can talk to to know if there are any existing pieces of 3rd party software that already does what it is you want to do.

There is simply no reason to reinvent the wheel.

For instance, if your research required you to map the world, there would be absolutely no point in writing your own software to do it. It already exists.

So the first question shouldn't be what hardware platform, but rather, what functions do I really need to make my experiments work and do those functions already exist somewhere?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

There is software I can use to create computer-based experiments such as E-Prime, although I don't know anyone who has used it with a touch screen or tablet. I'll have to check into that. What I need is an application that is basically a simple game where I'm looking at specific responses and reaction times bases on perceptual skills.

Sounds like what you're doing could benefit from parallelism, so I'd look for a fast multi-core processor or possibly even multi-processor multi-core machines. If you're running neural network type stuff you'll also want a good chunk of RAM in them. If you're using spike neural networks, you can distribute your processing across a network. I don't think you can even buy a machine with less than gigabit ethernet now, but make sure you're plugging into a similarly fast switch.

If you buy Apple hardware, you'll be paying a premium on price. If you can afford that, it's not a big deal. If you plan to write code for your video card's graphics processor, I'd steer clear of Apple, though. You don't get a lot of choice about your video card with them, and I've always been underwhelmed by them. If you want to slap a massive nvidia (or even ATI) card in the machine for physics simulations, you'll need to go with PCs.

I'd drop Linux on all of it, and go Linux/C++/Asm. It's incredibly easy to communicate between C++ and assembly functions on Linux, and if you're looking to wring every ounce of performance out of your hardware, this is how you do it. If you're doing anything with neural networks, you'll want every ounce of performance.

Tablet choice would be more dictated by personal preference than anything else. Personally if I'm coding something I'd prefer objective C to Java, but I'm really not a huge fan of either.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Well, depending on your budget...

http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/qosmio/X70/X75-A7298 with an LG 27" monitor http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27EA83-D-led-monitor

Don't go skinny on your monitor - a good 27-29" LCD will help during the long hours of any project. that with your laptop monitor (17.3") will provide a good physical split screen for multi-tasking.

If you need a complex monitor; take a look at the internal split function on this one.. http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29EA73-P-led-monitor
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

If compatability is a worry, consider getting a Surface with Windows 8 (not the RT form!) as it will provide the most compatability. It doubles as a laptop though dont expect a ton of storage.

I have a Surface and iPad, the iPad is for my calendar and reading, the surface is all business.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

DanG

If she writes her own software, she can easily put it on her own iPad.

Yes, as long as she also has a Mac to do the developing on.

Hackintoshes work great for that. :)

Could probably make a VM run OSX too, I don't think that I am THAT bored though.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If your lab computers are not going to be in a LAN with server storage then you should consider workstation class computers with raid mirroring disks. Video editing and processing also requires lots of memory and multi-core processing power, again workstation class computers. Workstations are expensive, $5k to $8k each, but worth every penny if you need them. Look at Dell T7600 or HP Z820 workstations. You really need to talk with a professional with business, financial or scada type hardware experience. Good luck on your project.

Is the software doing the video coding and data analysis some ready made software or is done by the people using the devices? Because if it is some ready made software then the kind of devices you'll need, depend a lot on whether the software can use some of the features of the hardware, like GPU's for processing the data.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

rmsmith

If your lab computers are not going to be in a LAN with server storage then you should consider workstation class computers with raid mirroring disks. Video editing and processing also requires lots of memory and multi-core processing power, again workstation class computers. Workstations are expensive, $5k to $8k each, but worth every penny if you need them. Look at Dell T7600 or HP Z820 workstations. You really need to talk with a professional with business, financial or scada type hardware experience. Good luck on your project.

I will have server storage so the videos will be stored there. I want a decent amount of memory and power but I think the Workstations are beyond what I actually need.

Arvoitus

Is the software doing the video coding and data analysis some ready made software or is done by the people using the devices? Because if it is some ready made software then the kind of devices you'll need, depend a lot on whether the software can use some of the features of the hardware, like GPU's for processing the data.

It's all existing software. I'm still decided what coding software I want to use. I'm debating if I want to stick with what I've been using or see if I can find something better. Once the videos are coded I'm just doing stats, I typically use either SAS, Mplus, or R. Those are fine on pretty much anything.