promise5

Was the airline employee out of line or not?

Just looking for opinions.
A white mom is traveling with her two daughters one adult and is also white the other is 10 and black. Standing in line to pick up their tickets with other families ahead of them. When it comes to their turn the airline employee starts to ask the younger daughter questions.
Is this your family? Do you all have the same last name? How long have you been with them? Do you want to go in this trip? The mom lets the daughter answer each question and then when it's done asks to speak to the supervisor of this employee. When the supervisor arrives she then explains what the employee did and wants to know why this employee felt the need to question her daughter when she didn't feel the need to question any of the other children ofthe families ahead of them. Was it because of the sole reason that her youngest daughter was black and traveling with two white women?
She then asked that this employee be made aware that not all family dynamics are the same and that she needs a little more education in this area. That the employee was out of line.

So what's your opinion?
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

Just looking for opinions.
A white mom is traveling with her two daughters one adult and is also white the other is 10 and black. Standing in line to pick up their tickets with other families ahead of them. When it comes to their turn the airline employee starts to ask the younger daughter questions.
Is this your family? Do you all have the same last name? How long have you been with them? Do you want to go in this trip? The mom lets the daughter answer each question and then when it's done asks to speak to the supervisor of this employee. When the supervisor arrives she then explains what the employee did and wants to know why this employee felt the need to question her daughter when she didn't feel the need to question any of the other children ofthe families ahead of them. Was it because of the sole reason that her youngest daughter was black and traveling with two white women?
She then asked that this employee be made aware that not all family dynamics are the same and that she needs a little more education in this area. That the employee was out of line.

So what's your opinion?

I wouldn't have done it because it's not the airline's job to police that shit, or shouldn't be anyway. But on the reason it was asked? I don't see the problem. People are being oversensitive.
cavete terrae.

grue

I wouldn't have done it because it's not the airline's job to police that shit, or shouldn't be anyway.

Unfortunately, it IS their job. Among the reasons has to do with child trafficking. We live in a fucked up world.

http://www.innocentsatrisk.org/blue-lightning-flight-attendant-initiative
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

We live in a messed up world. Human trafficking is a big deal.

How would you feel if the employee didn't ask and the kid was a kidnap victim?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

***Just looking for opinions.
She then asked that this employee be made aware that not all family dynamics are the same and that she needs a little more education in this area. That the employee was out of line. http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-1117-tsa-agent-20131117,0,1781814.story#axzz2l44UQxIl
http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-1117-tsa-agent-20131117,0,1781814.story#axzz2l44UQxIl
So what's your opinion? Depends on whos side you're on. I just flew to Vegas for some fun. Walked thru all their bullshit (@ONT) and got the special treatment. Didn't like the 5 K in my pocket I guess. Made sure the public (sheep) saw/ the $$$. Let me pass w/o further confrontation. What do you think SHEEPLE? 321 CYA .How do I get unnbanned from SC?
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I'm still wondering how anyone got banned from SC...

I agree that the story ruffles my feathers. The way the questions are structured would suggest there is a protocol. If that is the case and it is uniformly applied, I don't have an issue with it. It is still unusual enough that it could have been a 'tell'. If they also stop Angelina Jolie's children (and anyone else with a blended family), then it is an understandable nuisance given the possible consequences.

I find it odd that they had to ask anything. Do children not have to present ID when they go through security?
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

That the employee was out of line.

As someone who travels extensively, and is aware of the what & why - I think your mom was totally out of line, jumping straight to the race card with no consideration of any other possibilities...well, perhaps speaks of a mindset that might be less than flattering.

...as has been pointed out, it's a precaution taken to PROTECT small children.

We adopted 3 from Russia 15 years ago, they were small WHITE children, they however did not speak English...that of course raised some questions while traveling - that's to be expected and we were in no way offended whatsoever.

Countless children that have been improperly removed from their given situations, have been returned home because of such intervention.

3 people traveling together as you have described is most certainly a red flag...if they were offended, it's a tough world ~ wear a helmet.
;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Lol yes it was my mom and sisters. I think she was justified in what she did and how she handled it. She wasn't rude in any way. I think that if the woman had asked other families ahead of them where everyone looked the same I could understand. To single out the family that looks different then what she considered normal was being insensitive to different family make-ups. I would even say that if there were "signs" that maybe the child involved showed any types of distress then I could understand. But to ask a child these questions that is calling the woman mom and laughing and teasing her older sister is a little out of line.

Yes , ID was presented that showed that all the names were the same.
But I asked for others opinions so it's all good. :P

Believe me I tried.

Love you, girl, but you're adding facts now. If proper ID had been presented showing she had the same last name, she was calling the lady 'mom', and she was playing with the apparent sister, that could easily tip the scale the other way. The difference in race is an indicator. Now, you've presented other indicators that make the TSA actions less appropriate.

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

To single out the family that looks different then what she considered normal was being insensitive to different family make-ups.

I think you missed my point...

~ I doubt 100% that she was being insensitive to families with diverse make ups, trust me she's had training regarding those matters - in fact has had training to question when something is 'different'.

By YOU using the term 'different' you obviously understand that IT IS...so, different meaning not of or out of the normal - when confronted by someone who is on the look out for things 'not normal', acting offended is either extremely naive or just looking for drama.

She was doing her job.

BTW...how do YOU know she isn't from 'blended' a family?

Rather insensitive to assume someone doing their job as required, makes them somehow ignorant to societies make up.:ph34r:

If one is looking for something to be offended about, it can certainly always be found...;)

~I'm not trying to jump on or insult you 5, but you asked.

Simply...she could have either just answered the questions - with the understanding this person was doing both their job AND a service for society, and should be congratulated for the conscientious effort OR made a big issue of being treated 'different' when it's obvious that the situation IS different.
:)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Oh I'm not offended at all!!!!:)Your right that they didn't know the make up of this woman's family at all. I can say that for us it comes down to attitude and how you approach someone.
I guess I would be more concerned with a "family" that looks the same but where a child seems withdraw, non verbal, frightened, distressed maybe, then with a family that looks different but is interacting with each other in a positive way.

The woman didn't ask my mom any of these questions but addressed her questions to my youngest sister

My family travels back and forth to the lower 48 on a regular basis. The only other time anything like this came up was in traveling back into Alaska from Canada. The Alaskan border guard looked at all our papers/passports and then laughingly asked my brother if he gets asked which side of the family he takes after. :P

Believe me I tried.

Ron

We live in a messed up world. Human trafficking is a big deal.

Bloody lucky no white children are ever trafficed. it would take forever to get to the boarding gate,.:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I think we should commend her for doing her job.
She could be like the majority of people that schlep themselves to work and just not give a crap.
What the lady did was go above and beyond because she wanted to be sure things were ok. I'm sure she wasn't just trying to be an asshole, which can be seen because you say no one else was being harrassed.
As for the goofing around you say they were doing...they may have been playing, but typically when it is your "turn" with the lady your more or less standing there at attention and no longer goofing around. Typically the closer you get to the counter you get the tighter the line gets and the playing stops.
That's what the lady sees...lots of faces looking at her waiting to hear ..."next".
As for the ID thing...that can be faked pretty easy.
Not trying to be hard on you at all ...I think a half dozen questions directed at a kid to be able to determine reaction ( wheteher good or bad) to see that the kid is safe is the least intrusive thing we need to get upset about.

airtwardo

Now, you've presented other indicators that make the TSA actions less appropriate.

...now YOU'RE adding facts. ;)

Wasn't TSA - it was the airline ticket counter.

You are absolutely correct. Thanks for getting me back on track. It made much more sense in my mind that TSA would do it, since they are a pseudo enforcement agency. The airline is quite different in my mind. I am much less ok with the airline doing it.

Alternate thought - I thank cashiers for asking for ID when I give them a credit card. It protects me. Mom could have thanked the lady for being protective of the little girl. It almost becomes an issue of 'how do you want to take it?'

ETA: Someone else posted this same idea while I was typing.

Squeak

***We live in a messed up world. Human trafficking is a big deal.

Bloody lucky no white children are ever trafficed. it would take forever to get to the boarding gate,.:|

How about the little white/blonde/blue girl who was looking out of place with the gypsies a month or so ago? Someone in authority questioned her more dark skinned/hair "parents" and discovered she was not theirs.
Always be kinder than you feel.

I am still surprised how sensitive people are when it comes to airline security. Ask me anything, profile me all you want. At the end of the day I'm happy when my plane doesn't get flown into buildings or nose dived into a field.

I know there's some airline/security agents who are shady, but the good outnumber the bad IMHO.
Always be kinder than you feel.

LuckyMcSwervy

******We live in a messed up world. Human trafficking is a big deal.

How about the little white/blonde/blue girl who was looking out of place with the gypsies a month or so ago? Someone in authority questioned her more dark skinned/hair "parents" and discovered she was not theirs.I was being facetious Karen
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If the girl actually had been abducted, this person would have been a hero instead of the object of derision. Why is that so hard to see?

If this mom ever has her child abducted and they stick the news cameras in her face do you think she will plead for sensitivity to the wide range of family dynamics in the search for her daughter? Will she have tears running down her face while she begs that the people that search for her daughter not offend anyone?

I doubt it too. Being offended seems like it has become the highest sacrament in some bizarre narcissistic religion.